ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa! just turned intothe Maryland game

They have a Pitt sized crowd dressed in red.
(Big saved their athletic a--.)
Small crowd, ugly unis, but could be a decent team. Why the b10 wants them, who knows? TV money, the rest is ugly and my bet is they wont add much to TV either.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Sure did.

LINK: University of Maryland Athletic Dept. red ink nearly tripled in 2014

Such losses total nearly $10 million dating back to 2010. But Bob Page, University System of Maryland associate vice chancellor for financial affairs, told me the athletic department does not expect to add to it "with almost near certainty."

Why so confident?

At least $35 million in the first installment of Big Ten Conference money just starting to reach the university's athletic department, which officially joined the conference at the start of last fall's football season.

"The regents have been clear they are expected to pay these amounts back," Page said. "They will not be left off the hook."

The operating loss for the fiscal year ended June 30 is just a portion of Maryland's athletic department debt. It has racked up more than $95 million in debt in recent years, a figure that includes $31 million owed to the Atlantic Coast Conference to settle a lawsuit over leaving the conference and the $55 million in capital expenses associated with renovations at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and Xfinity Center (formerly Comcast Center).

Page said athletic department officials have committed to repaying the money by 2021 when their budgets become balanced with a much stronger revenue stream from the Big Ten.

Hey- on the Pitt board they are all predicting a crowd over 45,000 for their game with Youngstown State. It's hilarious because they haven't seen anywhere near 30,000 since WVU or ND came to town and brought their fans. ;)

Sure did.

LINK: University of Maryland Athletic Dept. red ink nearly tripled in 2014

Such losses total nearly $10 million dating back to 2010. But Bob Page, University System of Maryland associate vice chancellor for financial affairs, told me the athletic department does not expect to add to it "with almost near certainty."

Why so confident?

At least $35 million in the first installment of Big Ten Conference money just starting to reach the university's athletic department, which officially joined the conference at the start of last fall's football season.

"The regents have been clear they are expected to pay these amounts back," Page said. "They will not be left off the hook."

The operating loss for the fiscal year ended June 30 is just a portion of Maryland's athletic department debt. It has racked up more than $95 million in debt in recent years, a figure that includes $31 million owed to the Atlantic Coast Conference to settle a lawsuit over leaving the conference and the $55 million in capital expenses associated with renovations at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and Xfinity Center (formerly Comcast Center).

Page said athletic department officials have committed to repaying the money by 2021 when their budgets become balanced with a much stronger revenue stream from the Big Ten.
In other words. the b10 bails out MD and RU recruiting neighbors of PSU. Screwed again by the b10.

In other words. the b10 bails out MD and RU recruiting neighbors of PSU. Screwed again by the b10.

Really? How many recruits has CJF lost to Maryland and Rutgers? Throw in Pitt and you could count them on one hand...

Really? How many recruits has CJF lost to Maryland and Rutgers? Throw in Pitt and you could count them on one hand...
MD was going bankrupt, end their fb program. So b10 bails them out. How does that not hurt psu?

Pitts lower bowl looks to be less than half full at kickoff for YSU. 1st series, 3 and out.

MD was going bankrupt, end their fb program. So b10 bails them out. How does that not hurt psu?

It hurts but the B1G feels they can help the resuscitate their failed program. Same with Rutgers, who were in even deeper debt. I also think they should have went further south, but maybe that wasnt possible without first adding Maryland.

It hurts but the B1G feels they can help the resuscitate their failed program. Same with Rutgers, who were in even deeper debt. I also think they should have went further south, but maybe that wasnt possible without first adding Maryland.
So why is it the b10 job to bail out those programs. If it hurt osu or um, would not happen.

How does that not hurt psu

I don't know, you tell me how it does hurt PSU? Are we getting fewer recruits from MD/VA? Are we getting less TV money going forward? Does it diminish PSU academically? I'm not saying we needed MD to join the big ten, but its ridiculous to think this was done to screw Penn state intentionally or even imply that it has resulted in a negative somehow.

I don't know, you tell me how it does hurt PSU? Are we getting fewer recruits from MD/VA? Are we getting less TV money going forward? Does it diminish PSU academically? I'm not saying we needed MD to join the big ten, but its ridiculous to think this was done to screw Penn state intentionally or even imply that it has resulted in a negative somehow.
Would we be better if MD fotball died? Yes, we would get more MDrecruits and lose none to them.
Was in done on purpose? No, but it hurt us more than any b10 team re recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT