ADVERTISEMENT

Who loses the most starters among PSU, OSU, MI, and MSU at season's end?

19333lion

Jan 30, 2016
OSU seems to always have guys leave early, but they are also a little on the young side this year. MI is primed to lose a lot of starters. If we get lucky and guys like Sanders and Miller return, next years team should make a lot of noise.

To anyone who has looked into this more than I have, my thanks in advance for the details.

I see where you’re going and will add that the talent replacing starters matters. OSU has been so good because they have guys like Haskins and Bosa Jr waiting for their chance. So losing a Barrett or Bosa Sr isn’t as damaging for them.

Reactions: bdgan
From the standpoint of who are the seniors with no eligibilty left after this year I can answer the Michigan question.

On offense RB Higdon, RT J Bushel-Beatty must leave after this year, nine 2018 starters can return.

On Defense DT-Mone, DE - Winovich, SS-Kinnel, CB-Watson ,ust leave, seven 2018 starters can return.

Sixteen starters from 2018 can return.

Now how many underclassmen will go pro is the most important question:

On Offense all nine underclassmen INCLUDING Shea Patterson are expected to come back according to inside information on the rival site.

On defense DE-Rashan Gary, LB- Devin Bush, CB-David Long are expected to leave.

From the standpoint of who are the seniors with no eligibilty left after this year I can answer the Michigan question.

On offense RB Higdon, RT J Bushel-Beatty must leave after this year, nine 2018 starters can return.

On Defense DT-Mone, DE - Winovich, SS-Kinnel, CB-Watson ,ust leave, seven 2018 starters can return.

Sixteen starters from 2018 can return.

Now how many underclassmen will go pro is the most important question:

On Offense all nine underclassmen INCLUDING Shea Patterson are expected to come back according to inside information on the rival site.

On defense DE-Rashan Gary, LB- Devin Bush, CB-David Long are expected to leave.

That would only leave you with 4 returning starters on D? What about the second string? How many return v are seniors or may leave early?

As for the O, how old is Patterson? Didn’t he try MLB first? If he grades out I could see him giving the NFL a try.

That would only leave you with 4 returning starters on D? What about the second string? How many return v are seniors or may leave early?

As for the O, how old is Patterson? Didn’t he try MLB first? If he grades out I could see him giving the NFL a try.

Patterson and his family know he needs another year under Harbaugh to grade out higher and very strong indications are he returns next year (MLB drafted like 260 , not serious chance).

Second string on defensive line is strong (Dwumbfour, Solomon, Paye, Hutchinson all played a lot this year).

Secondary will almost all be new, a weak spot.

Losing Bush at LB is big (fastest LB at Michigan and leader of the defense), replacement is Ross who has played some and/or Jordan Anthony (5 star RS freshman from NJ).

Last edited:
Patterson and his family know he needs another year under Harbaugh to grade out higher and very strong indications are he returns next year (MLB drafted like 260 , not serious chance).

Second string on defensive line is strong (Dwumbfour, Solomon, Paye, Hutchinson all played a lot this year).

Losing Bush at LB is big (fastest LB at Michigan and leader of the defense), replacement is Ross who has played some and/or Jordan Anthony (5 star RS freshman from NJ).

Thank you for your respectful answer. I love it when friend or foe can state a fact without the snark!

Regarding the secondary, of the four starters one graduates (Kinnel) and one is likely to NFL early entry (Long). They return a starting safety (Metellus) and corner (Hill). There’s obvious loss of depth with Watson’s graduation, but to say the secondary will be “new” is inaccurate.

Regarding the secondary, of the four starters one graduates (Kinnel) and one is likely to NFL early entry (Long). They return a starting safety (Metellus) and corner (Hill). There’s obvious loss of depth with Watson’s graduation, but to say the secondary will be “new” is inaccurate.

Watson, who graduates, at CB is as much a starter as Hill and Watson has played better than Hill this year. Hope you are correct that the implication is the secondary will not be greatly effected (at least I think this is what you are saying) by the loss of Kinnel, and probably Long. Unfortunately with the loss of Watson added to the equation I believe the Michigan secondary next year will be weaker than this year.

PSU will be returning a ton next year and a ton of frosh, RS frosh, and Sophs have made big strides this year. Mustipher, Hamler, Dotson, Parsons, Brooks, Luketa, Sunderland, Pat Freirmuth....etc. Most of both lines return, the front 7 on D isn't being replaced. PSU will be in very good shape next year assuming they stay healthy.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Watson, who graduates, at CB is as much a starter as Hill and Watson has played better than Hill this year. Hope you are correct that the implication is the secondary will not be greatly effected (at least I think this is what you are saying) by the loss of Kinnel, and probably Long. Unfortunately with the loss of Watson added to the equation I believe the Michigan secondary next year will be weaker than this year.
We were in "good shape" this year........

PSU will be returning a ton next year and a ton of frosh, RS frosh, and Sophs have made big strides this year. Mustipher, Hamler, Dotson, Parsons, Brooks, Luketa, Sunderland, Pat Freirmuth....etc. Most of both lines return, the front 7 on D isn't being replaced. PSU will be in very good shape next year assuming they stay healthy.
Dotson and Hamler in particular are gonna be a problem for opposing defenses the next couple of years.

Dotson and Hamler in particular are gonna be a problem for opposing defenses the next couple of years.
Shorter finally got back on the field as well after being injured this whole year. Hopefully he can do what we expected Juwan Johnson to do with his size. The other big piece there is Pat Freirmuth who will be a beast for people the next 2 years at least. Then PSU also shirted Kuntz who is another 6-7 TE that can run....weapons should not be the problem next year...who will get them the ball...biggest question mark. Tommy has mainly been a runner and never had to be the guy.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I had presumed Sanders would return and possibly Miller. Right now, I see Miller going and Sanders a lean to go (he really has had a very very good year... shown some explosion, catches well, blocks well, runs hard... not entirely sure what another year does for him except allow him to work on ball control). Prefer that both stay but would understand if they leave.

Reactions: Tri-Power65
This site helps but it is not totally accurate and often doesn't make distinction between Sr with and w/o eligibility remaining. https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/

We would need fans of each program to fill in the gaps. For example, it has Juwanson, Polk, and Farmer still starting when we haven't seen Juwanson in weeks, Polk seems to be passed up by Dotson (listed as 3rd team), and Parsons has overtaken Farmer and is our leading tackler on the season despite Farmer trotting out 1st series each game. Also kind of understates just how much Castro-Fields is on the field and certainly our backup DL.

You would also need to consider that we could have back multiple guys on the DL that were getting a ton of time before early season injury.

That is the type of filling the detail in that we would need from Mich, tOSU and Mich St fans to really know.

We will lose 7 "starters" for sure, and as has been suggested, are liable to lose Sanders and Miller as well. If we don't lose them and some other 4th year guys who start decide to return, it will be a pretty mature team everywhere. A couple of guys who have been starters are being supplanted by underclassman, so it really should be a net plus in a couple of cases. I can envision a scenario where the glass is half full. I also think Tommy Stevens will be the real deal.

I count 5 senior starters, though Micah received ~50 snaps to Koa's 13 last game.

Trace, Thompkins, Koa, Oruwariye, Scott.

OFFENSE

Quarterback
9Trace McSorley(6-0, 201, Gr./Sr.)2Tommy Stevens(6-5, 240, Sr./Jr.)14Sean Clifford(6-2, 219, So./Fr.)

Running Back
24Miles Sanders(5-11, 215, Jr./Jr.)4Ricky Slade(5-9, 198, Fr./Fr.)32Journey Brown(5-11, 205, So./Fr.)OR
20Johnathan Thomas(5-11, 218, Gr./Sr.)

Tight End
87Pat Freiermuth(6-5, 258, Fr./Fr.)83Nick Bowers(6-4, 260, Sr./Jr.)18Jonathan Holland(6-4, 252, Sr./Jr.)80Danny Dalton(6-4, 247, Jr./So.)

Wide Receiver
3 DeAndre Thompkins(5-11, 188, Gr./Sr.)84Juwan Johnson(6-4, 225, Sr./Jr.)81Cam Sullivan-Brown(6-0, 188, So./Fr.)86Daniel George(6-2, 220, Fr./Fr.)

Wide Receiver

5Jahan Dotson(5-11, 169, Fr./Fr.)10Brandon Polk(5-9, 179, Sr./Jr.)6 Justin Shorter (6-4, 226, Fr./Fr.)

Wide Receiver
1KJ Hamler(5-9, 173, So./Fr.)12Mac Hippenhammer(5-11, 177, So./Fr.)85 Isaac Lutz (5-11, 186, Jr./So.)

Lion2Tommy Stevens(6-5, 240, Sr./Jr.)

Left Tackle
52Ryan Bates(6-4, 302, Sr./Jr.)71Will Fries(6-6, 306, Jr./So.)51Alex Gellerstedt(6-6, 311, Jr./So.)

Left Guard
74Steven Gonzalez(6-4, 325, Sr./Jr.)73Mike Miranda(6-3, 298, So./Fr.)72Bryce Effner(6-5, 272, Fr./Fr.)

Center
62Michal Menet(6-4, 298, Jr./So.)64Zach Simpson(6-3, 290, Sr./Jr.)70Juice Scruggs(6-3, 278, Fr./Fr.)

Right Guard
66Connor McGovern(6-5, 323, Jr./Jr.)75Des Holmes(6-5, 322, So./Fr.)79Charlie Shuman(6-8, 324, Gr./Sr.)

Right Tackle
71Will Fries(6-6, 306, Jr./So.) OR77Chasz Wright(6-7, 353, Gr./Sr.)51Alex Gellerstedt(6-6, 311, Jr./So.)

DEFENSE
Defensive End
48Shareef Miller(6-5, 260, Sr./Jr.)18Shaka Toney(6-3, 241, Jr./So.)49Daniel Joseph(6-3, 253, Jr./So.)

Defensive Tackle
30Kevin Givens(6-1, 285, Sr./Jr.)93PJ Mustipher(6-4, 300, Fr./Fr.)
90 Damion Barber (6-3, 283, So./Fr.)

Defensive Tackle
54Robert Windsor(6-4, 295, Sr./Jr.)55 Antonio Shelton (6-2, 310, Jr./So.) 69 CJ Thorpe (6-3, 328, So./Fr.)

Defensive End
99Yetur Gross-Matos(6-5, 259, So./So.)34Shane Simmons(6-3, 250, Jr./So.)
28 Jayson Oweh (6-5, 247, Fr./Fr.) OR46Nick Tarburton(6-3, 246, Fr./Fr.)

Outside Linebacker
7Koa Farmer(6-1, 230, Gr./Sr.)11Micah Parsons(6-3, 240, Fr./Fr.)33Jake Cooper(6-1, 234, Sr./Sr.)

Middle Linebacker
36Jan Johnson(6-2, 234, Gr./Jr.)13Ellis Brooks(6-1, 233, So./Fr.)40Jesse Luketa(6-3, 236, Fr./Fr.)

Outside Linebacker
6Cam Brown(6-5, 223, Jr./Jr.)9Jarvis Miller(6-2, 223, Sr./Jr.)41Dae'Lun Darien(6-4, 223, Jr./So.)

Cornerback
21Amani Oruwariye(6-1, 203, Gr./Sr.)2Donovan Johnson(5-9, 182, So./Fr.)14Zech McPhearson(5-11, 188, Jr./So.)

Safety
17Garrett Taylor(6-0, 203, Sr./Jr.)26Jonathan Sutherland(5-11, 201, So./Fr.)38Lamont Wade(5-9, 194, So./So.)

Safety
4Nick Scott(5-11, 200, Gr./Sr.)38Lamont Wade(5-9, 194, So./So.)23Ayron Monroe(5-11, 206, Sr./Jr.)

Cornerback
29John Reid(5-10, 180, Sr./Jr.)OR5Tariq Castro-Fields(6-0, 186, So./So.)14Zech McPhearson(5-11, 188, Jr./So.)

It will be interesting to see how many underclassmen leave early. Miller definitely goes in my opinion. I believe Sanders should go and Bates will go. Cam Brown shouldn't but might. I think we'll be surprised by a couple moves. Either way, we're returning a lot experience and a ton of young talent.

you think there's any chance of Hill leaving?

I count 5 senior starters, though Micah received ~50 snaps to Koa's 13 last game.

Trace, Thompkins, Koa, Oruwariye, Scott.

OFFENSE

Quarterback
9Trace McSorley(6-0, 201, Gr./Sr.)2Tommy Stevens(6-5, 240, Sr./Jr.)14Sean Clifford(6-2, 219, So./Fr.)

Running Back
24Miles Sanders(5-11, 215, Jr./Jr.)4Ricky Slade(5-9, 198, Fr./Fr.)32Journey Brown(5-11, 205, So./Fr.)OR
20Johnathan Thomas(5-11, 218, Gr./Sr.)

Tight End
87Pat Freiermuth(6-5, 258, Fr./Fr.)83Nick Bowers(6-4, 260, Sr./Jr.)18Jonathan Holland(6-4, 252, Sr./Jr.)80Danny Dalton(6-4, 247, Jr./So.)

Wide Receiver
3 DeAndre Thompkins(5-11, 188, Gr./Sr.)84Juwan Johnson(6-4, 225, Sr./Jr.)81Cam Sullivan-Brown(6-0, 188, So./Fr.)86Daniel George(6-2, 220, Fr./Fr.)

Wide Receiver

5Jahan Dotson(5-11, 169, Fr./Fr.)10Brandon Polk(5-9, 179, Sr./Jr.)6 Justin Shorter (6-4, 226, Fr./Fr.)

Wide Receiver
1KJ Hamler(5-9, 173, So./Fr.)12Mac Hippenhammer(5-11, 177, So./Fr.)85 Isaac Lutz (5-11, 186, Jr./So.)

Lion2Tommy Stevens(6-5, 240, Sr./Jr.)

Left Tackle
52Ryan Bates(6-4, 302, Sr./Jr.)71Will Fries(6-6, 306, Jr./So.)51Alex Gellerstedt(6-6, 311, Jr./So.)

Left Guard
74Steven Gonzalez(6-4, 325, Sr./Jr.)73Mike Miranda(6-3, 298, So./Fr.)72Bryce Effner(6-5, 272, Fr./Fr.)

Center
62Michal Menet(6-4, 298, Jr./So.)64Zach Simpson(6-3, 290, Sr./Jr.)70Juice Scruggs(6-3, 278, Fr./Fr.)

Right Guard
66Connor McGovern(6-5, 323, Jr./Jr.)75Des Holmes(6-5, 322, So./Fr.)79Charlie Shuman(6-8, 324, Gr./Sr.)

Right Tackle
71Will Fries(6-6, 306, Jr./So.) OR77Chasz Wright(6-7, 353, Gr./Sr.)51Alex Gellerstedt(6-6, 311, Jr./So.)

DEFENSE
Defensive End
48Shareef Miller(6-5, 260, Sr./Jr.)18Shaka Toney(6-3, 241, Jr./So.)49Daniel Joseph(6-3, 253, Jr./So.)

Defensive Tackle
30Kevin Givens(6-1, 285, Sr./Jr.)93PJ Mustipher(6-4, 300, Fr./Fr.)
90 Damion Barber (6-3, 283, So./Fr.)

Defensive Tackle
54Robert Windsor(6-4, 295, Sr./Jr.)55 Antonio Shelton (6-2, 310, Jr./So.) 69 CJ Thorpe (6-3, 328, So./Fr.)

Defensive End
99Yetur Gross-Matos(6-5, 259, So./So.)34Shane Simmons(6-3, 250, Jr./So.)
28 Jayson Oweh (6-5, 247, Fr./Fr.) OR46Nick Tarburton(6-3, 246, Fr./Fr.)

Outside Linebacker
7Koa Farmer(6-1, 230, Gr./Sr.)11Micah Parsons(6-3, 240, Fr./Fr.)33Jake Cooper(6-1, 234, Sr./Sr.)

Middle Linebacker
36Jan Johnson(6-2, 234, Gr./Jr.)13Ellis Brooks(6-1, 233, So./Fr.)40Jesse Luketa(6-3, 236, Fr./Fr.)

Outside Linebacker
6Cam Brown(6-5, 223, Jr./Jr.)9Jarvis Miller(6-2, 223, Sr./Jr.)41Dae'Lun Darien(6-4, 223, Jr./So.)

Cornerback
21Amani Oruwariye(6-1, 203, Gr./Sr.)2Donovan Johnson(5-9, 182, So./Fr.)14Zech McPhearson(5-11, 188, Jr./So.)

Safety
17Garrett Taylor(6-0, 203, Sr./Jr.)26Jonathan Sutherland(5-11, 201, So./Fr.)38Lamont Wade(5-9, 194, So./So.)

Safety
4Nick Scott(5-11, 200, Gr./Sr.)38Lamont Wade(5-9, 194, So./So.)23Ayron Monroe(5-11, 206, Sr./Jr.)

Cornerback
29John Reid(5-10, 180, Sr./Jr.)OR5Tariq Castro-Fields(6-0, 186, So./So.)14Zech McPhearson(5-11, 188, Jr./So.)
One that is rumored to be looking is Miller. I'm not sure he had the break through year to justify it, but he still may give it a run similar to Barnes. That is how JF should have him talk to to be honest...as Barnes was a year or two on practice squads and gone. Miller though may be closer to his degree than Barnes so there is one big difference.

It will be interesting to see how many underclassmen leave early. Miller definitely goes in my opinion. I believe Sanders should go and Bates will go. Cam Brown shouldn't but might. I think we'll be surprised by a couple moves. Either way, we're returning a lot experience and a ton of young talent.

Bates was just moved from left tackle to RT. Not sure he’s shown all big ten play, or close to it, to justify leaving early imo.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
I don’t see any juniors leaving aside from Miller and maybe Sanders. At least they shouldn’t. I think if Miller comes back for another year he is a first or second rounder, as of now not so much. I wouldn’t blame Miles for leaving, honestly. Could probably be a mid round pick, unless he absolutely went off next year I don’t see him going much higher

Agree but there are a few positions where an early departure for the NFL would really hurt. Bates? Givens?

I don’t see any juniors leaving aside from Miller and maybe Sanders. At least they shouldn’t. I think if Miller comes back for another year he is a first or second rounder, as of now not so much. I wouldn’t blame Miles for leaving, honestly. Could probably be a mid round pick, unless he absolutely went off next year I don’t see him going much higher
Sanders is the 17th ranked RB eligible for the draft. Probably 5th round. I think he could move up to at least the 3rd round with a good senior year behind a more experienced OL.

What if he doesn't go "off next year"? What if the production is similar to this year? There's many schools of thought on this and none are wrong. I believe if a player is "draftable" they should enter the draft. I understand the risk behind that decision but coming back has risk as well. There's no "safe" answer and the right answer is truthfully never known because no matter what they decide we'll never know what would have happened had they made a different decision.

I will say a RB should always go pro the minute they can. Miles coming back and adding carries only hurts his draft stock. Even someone like Bryce Love made a huge mistake in terms of football. Doesn't seem like he cares because football isn't his primary goal in life but for most it is.

Also, Miller's in his 4th year. He's not even truly an EE if he does enter

One that is rumored to be looking is Miller. I'm not sure he had the break through year to justify it, but he still may give it a run similar to Barnes. That is how JF should have him talk to to be honest...as Barnes was a year or two on practice squads and gone. Miller though may be closer to his degree than Barnes so there is one big difference.
Barnes and Miller are tight.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-football/article190374834.html

2020 is just an incredibly obvious troll. This clown posts negatively about PSU in every thread but now advocates, no argues for every Jr starter to leave early for the draft. I mean this guy doesn’t even pretend to disguise his rooting against Penn St.

2020 is just an incredibly obvious troll. This clown posts negatively about PSU in every thread but now advocates, no argues for every Jr starter to leave early for the draft. I mean this guy doesn’t even pretend to disguise his rooting against Penn St.
He and a few others do come across as less than PSU fans at times. In this case, he might claim objectivity. ;)

Wait, I understand that sometimes you could get that impression but I have no idea how that applies to this thread. Thinking guys may leave early is reality in this era. The idea isn't for kids to stay for 5 years any more. 3 years should be seen a lot moving forward and 4 should be the max. 5 years hurts recruiting in reality.

Reactions: Kamovitch
Wait, I understand that sometimes you could get that impression but I have no idea how that applies to this thread. Thinking guys may leave early is reality in this era. The idea isn't for kids to stay for 5 years any more. 3 years should be seen a lot moving forward and 4 should be the max. 5 years hurts recruiting in reality.

Well then certainly you believe Ohio St WRs Mack, Binjimin, and Hill should be leaving early with McLaurin and Campbell. Center Jordan, and RG Prince ought to make the leap. RB Webber is definitely ready. There is no doubt on Dremont Jones and Landers at DT but Cooper and Cornell at DE should be joining them. You already know Malik Harrison at LB is ready as is Sheffield, Fuller and Arnette in the secondary.

And then Patterson at UM has made his money, time for him. Also WR Perry, OL Onwenu, Bredeson, and Runyan are ready. TEs Gentry and McKeon should both go. RB Higdon has made his money too. DT Kemp and all 3 LBs Bush, Hudson, and Gil are definites and Uche probably has shown more than enough as well. Long, Mettelus, Hill, and Kinnel in the secondary are also all ready.

You agree with this right? After all they have outperformed most of the PSU players you listed. You tell us this frequently so I assume that all of those above from Ohio St and Michigan are clearly ready for the NFL.

Well then certainly you believe Ohio St WRs Mack, Binjimin, and Hill should be leaving early with McLaurin and Campbell. Center Jordan, and RG Prince ought to make the leap. RB Webber is definitely ready. There is no doubt on Dremont Jones and Landers at DT but Cooper and Cornell at DE should be joining them. You already know Malik Harrison at LB is ready as is Sheffield, Fuller and Arnette in the secondary.

And then Patterson at UM has made his money, time for him. Also WR Perry, OL Onwenu, Bredeson, and Runyan are ready. TEs Gentry and McKeon should both go. RB Higdon has made his money too. DT Kemp and all 3 LBs Bush, Hudson, and Gil are definites and Uche probably has shown more than enough as well. Long, Mettelus, Hill, and Kinnel in the secondary are also all ready.

You agree with this right? After all they have outperformed most of the PSU players you listed. You tell us this frequently so I assume that all of those above from Ohio St and Michigan are clearly ready for the NFL.
I agree that UM's QB won't be back. If you look at the NFL ready QBs, big/strong pocket types, it is very thin. He's almost assured of a first or second round pick.

Reactions: mn78psu83
A lot of talk here that Miller is leaving. He said in his instagram story last week that he is staying, but "people leave based on their situation" being a guy from the inner city, it wouldnt surprise me, but I think Franklin will be in his ear about returning.

With that being said, I don't see any Juniors leaving. Next year Boobie has a chance to be on many of the preseason watch lists, and one of the best backs in the country.. which will ultimately up his draft stock.

Last edited:

Glad you added this.

I will say that counting on new guys to replace stars is not easy. Most felt PSU wouldn't suffer as much defensively as our 'new guys' had played a lot the past year or 2.

What we learned - is that the new starters might be ok - but the guys replacing them will be green. Plus there is a major difference being the guy vs rotating in. Take Dwumbfour for example - when he plays - he is probably playing with 3 other experienced very talented linemen. Next year - he will be playing with probably - 3 guys who are less talented and less experienced than who he played with this year. It will make a difference.

Honestly - the fact that Michigan loses so much on defense is a good thing (for us). There offense - while good - didn't torch us.

A lot of talk here that Miller is leaving. He said in his instagram story last week that he is staying, but "people leave based on their situation" being a guy from the inner city, it wouldnt surprise me, but I think Franklin will be in his ear about returning.

With that being said, I don't see any Juniors leaving. Next year Boobie has a chance to be on many of the preseason watch lists, and one of the best backs in the country.. which will ultimately up his draft stock.
I also feel like Sanders has an opportunity to really up his payday next season.

1) He still has low mileage as a college back due to Barkley
2) He has proven capable but not day 1 at this point and there is a huge difference in day 2 money and the first couple of rounds
3) We lose 2 starters on offense and return the entire OL who will be experienced, this is a recipe for a huge season for him (plus young talent was infused at WR/TE and next year will be good enough to garner defensive attention).
4) With only 2 starters gone on D and O, he could potentially have a playoff stage on which to show out

In my opinion, it isn’t just getting there the soonest, but how do you maximize the small number of NFL paydays. 1st or 2nd round money will far outweigh an extra year at 5th round money.

ADVERTISEMENT