ADVERTISEMENT

Who helped you get into PSU

Way back I had a nice scholarship that I could use anywhere. I had an almost perfect SAT score, top grades, and many extra-curricular activities. I was accepted into Franklin and Marshall, Lehigh, and Penn State. I decided to go to FM and eventually be a lawyer. At PSU I would go the engineering route. I decided against that.

One evening during dinner my Dad looked up between forks of spaghetti and said, "You are going to Penn State to study engineering." That was it. I didn't say a word. I never talked back to my Dad. Times were different then. I went to Penn State and have worked in engineering for over 50 years.
Your father was a wise man. He saved you from a lifetime of arguing in the alternative.

Reactions: LemonEars
Uncle Sam. First choice was USMA, but I didn't make the cut. So, I went on active duty and was able to sneak in a few college classes (in addition to a one-year military school that scored 24 semester hours of credit!) that helped me get onto main campus out of the military. The GI Bill didnt hurt either (and a PHEAA grant). Things worked out. :)

Nobody. I applied to one school. I got into Schuylkill and went from there. HS grades were fine but nothing great. Had a decent SAT score. Only other school anywhere close that offered what I wanted to study was WVU and I never visited. It could not have been hard getting accepted at PSU branches if I got in. This is in the early 1980's. Never really worked in my field of study anyway. Graduated through sheer force of will. The years at Main Campus were very memorable but not always fun when you were a shizholian student such as I. Came close to jacking the whole thing up more than once.

One of the few smart things I did as a student at PSU was work. Worked over breaks, worked in summers, worked on research projects as an undergrad. Went to summer school too, I would never have believed it before I signed up to do it but those were great times, summer classes and working.

Uhhh...I helped myself. I only applied to Psu and Kutztown and got accepted to both.

Your father was a wise man. He saved you from a lifetime of arguing in the alternative.
I had two influencers. My older brother went to Muhlenberg College which was only two blocks from our house. He dropped out after two years. My parents blamed it on having too many friends who weren't in college and with too much time to party.
I was thinking either Lehigh or Penn State until my parents vetoed Lehigh. They didn't want me to repeat my brother's mistakes.
The choice of Penn State was confirmed by the nun who was the guidance counselor at Central Catholic. Most of the guys at school were going to Villanova, St. Joes's, Scranton or other Catholic schools. She called Penn State "that den of iniquity". I applied the next day.
I wish somebody had warned me that the male to female ration was 4 to 1 at that time. Hard to sin much at that ratio.

I applied to two places and was accepted at both: US Coast Guard Academy (full ride plus 5 years service at end) and Penn State. Chose Penn State for three reasons (1) USCGA did not have the major I wanted (E.E.), (2) there were no girls at USCGA at that time (although ratio at PSU was 7:1 guys in those days), and (3) PSU was 4 years instead of 9. Oh, yes, my parents had actually met at PSU so there was a family interest but I got in strictly on my SATs and HS grades. And tuition was only $150 per trimester when I started at Hazleton High Acres.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT