ADVERTISEMENT

Who helped you get into PSU

some damning stuff coming out in how kids get into their school. For me, I couldn't afford PSU so didn't even apply. i went to the least cost school I could find in my major..

D1d_AMxW0AA0ck8.jpg:large

Huffman transcript:
D1d6wi6WoAAwCFn.jpg:large

I was admitted into three schools. The only input from my parents was Dad said Penn State because he could afford it. Tuition was $150 a quarter.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/co...i-loughlin/h_26fceeb4d7d17b2f16a6d8025f651934
This gentleman, 52 +years ago.

"The General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant program is the centerpiece of the Society’s education support initiatives, awarding competitive education grants to eligible Air Force dependents based on family financial need. This award is so integral to AFAS education programs, in fact, that the application process for the Arnold Education Grant serves as the platform to access other important AFAS education support opportunities".
Gen.-Arnold_Web-Graphic.jpg

I used to have a little thing for Felicity, when she was on SportsNight. She was that smart talking sexy gal who you wanted to take to the game AND then take home. Now that I know she is a bad ass is it wrong of me to be more intrigued by her?

On another note, I have mentioned on this board that I have a large international extended family. It's not uncommon for some of the extended family to pay for their kid's way into top prep schools and universities. So, perhaps I am not as surprised or upset by this as others may be.

Way back I had a nice scholarship that I could use anywhere. I had an almost perfect SAT score, top grades, and many extra-curricular activities. I was accepted into Franklin and Marshall, Lehigh, and Penn State. I decided to go to FM and eventually be a lawyer. At PSU I would go the engineering route. I decided against that.

One evening during dinner my Dad looked up between forks of spaghetti and said, "You are going to Penn State to study engineering." That was it. I didn't say a word. I never talked back to my Dad. Times were different then. I went to Penn State and have worked in engineering for over 50 years.

some damning stuff coming out in how kids get into their school. For me, I couldn't afford PSU so didn't even apply. i went to the least cost school I could find in my major..

D1d_AMxW0AA0ck8.jpg:large

Huffman transcript:
D1d6wi6WoAAwCFn.jpg:large

My God - what kind of world do we live in where TV and movie stars can't get their kid into a top university on name alone?! Poor William H. Macy - wonder if he knew?

ShamelessWavyIndianpangolin-small.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
Way back I had a nice scholarship that I could use anywhere. I had an almost perfect SAT score, top grades, and many extra-curricular activities. I was accepted into Franklin and Marshall, Lehigh, and Penn State. I decided to go to FM and eventually be a lawyer. At PSU I would go the engineering route. I decided against that.

One evening during dinner my Dad looked up between forks of spaghetti and said, "You are going to Penn State to study engineering." That was it. I didn't say a word. I never talked back to my Dad. Times were different then. I went to Penn State and have worked in engineering for over 50 years.
yellow-thumbs-emoji-on-background-260nw-1185663433.jpg

I used to have a little thing for Felicity, when she was on SportsNight. She was that smart talking sexy gal who you wanted to take to the game AND then take home. Now that I know she is a bad ass is it wrong of me to be more intrigued by her?

On another note, I have mentioned on this board that I have a large international extended family. It's not uncommon for some of the extended family to pay for their kid's way into top prep schools and universities. So, perhaps I am not as surprised or upset by this as others may be.

Having just gone through a similar process with my daughter, I will say it is nerve wracking to see superstar athletes and TV personalities at some of the private school information sessions/tours (some of whom I've subsequently met at 'new parent' receptions). They're like everyone else - want the best for their kid.

I was accepted at F&M, American, and PSU. I received a half tuition scholarship to Penn State. My older brother was finishing his fifth year out of six as an undergraduate. Dad said he could afford PSU. There was no further discussion.

Reactions: LemonEars
My mother helped me with the 17 years of support, the application, and the funds (along with student loans). I did the same for my son. No huge scholarships, no special treatment, no side door entries.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
On a side note, my company is sponsoring a scholarship for a local University for Engineering Students. We didn't ask about their financial need, we just wanted to have the best applicants based on their grades and recommendations. This is not a school that will attract the children of wealth people, so no need to worry about that issue. But, felt better doing it as a blind offer, rather than knowing what their income status is.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I was admitted into three schools. The only input from my parents was Dad said Penn State because he could afford it. Tuition was $150 a quarter.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/co...i-loughlin/h_26fceeb4d7d17b2f16a6d8025f651934

I was accepted, chose another school then matriculated as a Junior in what was then the non-degree program.

Take night classes and whatever is available after all students pick classes. Average a B for some amount of credits and be accepted.

I discovered another person here who went at the same time and did the same thing.

Irks me to no end that they canceled this program.

More recently I set up a scholarship in my parents name which helps students.

LdN

As a Junior in HS I was able to attend Keystone Boys State, an American Legion patriotism program held at Penn State (UP). I fell in love with the place, a love that lasted from 1962 until the absurdity of 2011.

Automotive Supply, Inc offered me a $500 per year scholarship (my dad was a dealer) provided I maintained a 3.0 average I never came near to a 3.0, but they never took it away!

Last edited:
This gentleman, 52 +years ago.

"The General Henry H. Arnold Education Grant program is the centerpiece of the Society’s education support initiatives, awarding competitive education grants to eligible Air Force dependents based on family financial need. This award is so integral to AFAS education programs, in fact, that the application process for the Arnold Education Grant serves as the platform to access other important AFAS education support opportunities".
Gen.-Arnold_Web-Graphic.jpg
Both of our children were recipients of those grants.

Reactions: step.eng69
I didn’t apply to any college out of high school. I was accepted at a local factory to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage ($4.90/hr. I believe at the time). A year of that was enough to motivate me to get to the local community college.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
My parents who are well into retirement and are currently paying their house for the third time after my sister and then me.

I don't know if anyone helped me get in, but my school adviser sure helped me get out. Engineering student who got all A's in math and science, but repeated a few of the other classes.

My older brother graduated first in his class and the college of Earth & Mineral Sciences at PSU (had a nice academic scholarship), so when my turn came I applied and was accepted at other places (Case, Lehigh,..) but only really considered PSU. It was a much better value (in the high $200's/quarter back then for tuition) and PSU Engineering grads got jobs. Hello, the reason for going to college or for further education was to get a better job, at least in our family....

I was a waste my first year in school and wasn't happy so transferred to another school where a coach there helped me get in. My 2.1 freshman gps didn't do it. I didn't show much athletically as a freshman either. I owe a ton to that coach for the opportunity. Changed my life for the better. Fine line between something shady and just helping a kid have a better chance at life.

Engineering was a better choice than Law anyway. :)

Reactions: paulrandythomas
I was accepted to Penn State (I am a local), VA Tech and GA Tech, all for engineering. Dad was a PSU prof and a VA Tech grad as was his dad. He encouraged me to be a Hokie but I chose to stay close to home and take advantage of the huge tuition break.

My Dad was a fraternity brother with Bill Schreyer and they roomed together later when they first started out in the business world in NYC. So suspect I could have somehow gotten into PSU! :D

However, living in Chicagoland, I elected to pursue my academic and athletic career at KU!

Ironically, my Dad was transferred to NYC just as I started my freshman year at KU. If that had happened six months earlier, I would have ended up at PSU instead of KU. Timing. I often wonder how my life (and the life of others) would have played out differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT