ADVERTISEMENT

who had the bigger W last night?

You do not understand the reason for PSU's success. PSU with Cael in charge is incredibly successful because they get a bunch of elite recruits who go to PSU because they view that as their best option to win NCAA titles and World Championships. NIL money will increase your bank account, however, it will not improve your chances of winning titles.

If Ohio State offers more NIL money, all Cael has to do is make sure a recruit runs into Kyle Snyder...light bulb goes off, Ohio State's best wrestler ever is being trained by Cael. That is happening for a reason.

Regarding recruiting, what is truly amazing is that even with top 10 recruits, it is only about 50/50 that they have an outstanding career. Cael has very few misses. The reason is because Cael does an incredible job of evaluating recruits and projecting their ability forward and staying away from problem recruits (guys with off the mat issues).

Remember when Marstellar and Haines, both 4 time PA state champions went elsewhere? People thought Cael was losing his touch and PSU was done. Haines never became an all-american and Marstellar's off the mat issues are well known. I get Marstellar verballed to PSU, what is not well known is that conditions were put on Chance attending PSU and he went elsewhere as a result.

Cael will continue to dominate with or without NIL, reality is this is wrestling, there just isn't a whole lot of NIL money available to wrestlers. Big opportunities are most likely driven by the individual athlete's ability to develop their own brand. For example, see the Cavinder twin sisters who play basketball at Fresno State, they are doing well with NIL because they have built a brand over the years.
Nicely done! I think you made a good post re Cael, recruiting, passing on Marstellar…etc.

Gable was known to have had similar success on the recruiting trail for similar reasons. And I think Iowa did a very good job in recent years using the transfer portal to fill in around a very good team dynamic created by Kem, Murin, Lee, Young, etc.

Anyways I hope you guys enjoy your teams success that’s a nice looking line-up I don’t want any of those athletes to feel vilified. They’re my second favorite team to watch, granted there’s a massive tie for second favorite to watch. Haha.

I like PSU, I like PA. But face it, you’re the NY Yankees in terms of how you’ve won when you’ve won. You’re a program that has demonstrated like many other programs you can steer top flight recruits to the top of the podium. However, unlike other programs your landing wayyy more of those types hence the winning.

Personally I’d stick with that plan, it works but it might not be as successful a plan when you can’t get your hands on all those number 1 and 2 overall recruits. Am I jealous of all those riches, not really, but I am aware of it.
Like Cassar who was at the top of everyone’s recruiting board and remains the only wrestler to beat Gable Steveson?

Good point. But it does nothing to disprove the fact that you’re disproportionately loaded with top end talent year to year. But hey, winning is winning is winning i credit you guys for making it happen. Will you be able to continue winning that way with NIL opening financial doors to all programs? I guess we will see but you guys have the hot hand so I wouldn’t be against you.
Do you wanna know what would put Iowa on a level playing field when it comes to landing top end recruits? It’s not NIL. The answer is developing the elite recruits they do get so they reach the top of the podium. Aside from Spencer, the Hawks have been horrible doing that. Kemerer, the Bull, Assad, Warner, Cassioppi. All guys Hawk fans swore would be champs if not multiple time national champs. All, guys who fall short every year. You want the Hawks to bring in more elite recruits? How about your coaching staff prove to them by developing guys that if they go to Iowa they can be a national champ.

Last edited:
Do you wanna know what would put Iowa on a level playing field when it comes to landing top end recruits? It’s not NIL. The answer is developing the elite recruits they do get so they reach the top of the podium. Aside from Spencer, the Hawks have been horrible doing that. Kemerer, the Bull, Assad, Warner, Cassioppi. All guys Hawk fans swore would be multiple time national champs. All, guys who fall short every year. You want the Hawks to bring in more elite recruits? How about your coaching staff prove to them by developing guys that if they go to Iowa they can be a national champ.
Injuries have played a part as well and you can’t develop to completely avoid getting hurt. It takes some luck. However, you are correct in the fact that Penn St has performed better when the lights shined the brightest.

Kerk is the next Gable. I think Kerk will represent us at the next Olympics. I also think Cael should stop recruiting good wrestlers and try to develop not great wrestlers to make Iowa understand, he's a pretty good coach. I mean anyone can win with good wrestlers right? I mean tnt has turned outstanding recruits into pretty good wrestlers :)

Do you wanna know what would put Iowa on a level playing field when it comes to landing top end recruits? It’s not NIL. The answer is developing the elite recruits they do get so they reach the top of the podium. Aside from Spencer, the Hawks have been horrible doing that. Kemerer, the Bull, Assad, Warner, Cassioppi. All guys Hawk fans swore would be champs if not multiple time national champs. All, guys who fall short every year. You want the Hawks to bring in more elite recruits? How about your coaching staff prove to them by developing guys that if they go to Iowa they can be a national champ.

PSU Wrestling Winning Formula = NY Yankees Winning Formula

That’s a great analogy and I don’t get why that makes anyone uncomfortable. Take credit for setting up the wins on the front end and enjoy the ride. It started with getting Cael and you guys came through for him. Credit Nittany Lions wrestling supporters.

BTW was it true that PSU didn’t have an NCAA champ since 1959 before they became college wrestling’s NY Yankees?
Nope, not true…

Credit PSU for the top recruits they’ve put in their line-up. Didn’t secure a team title last year but it might this year with the mid-season move-ins.

Like I said, everyone has watched PSU alter the college wrestling landscape in recent years with their massive recruiting hauls. Now that tOSU is doing it (among others) it will be harder for PSU to access what they want Year to year. Coaching up the number one recruit to tie up wrists and get to a single is pretty easy. Coaching up the 23rd ranked recruit is a different story and so far PSU has proven they can only do the former.
Did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

I’m still going with PSU’s absurd number if top 5 recruits has worked for them.

Thank you.

Whether intentional or not, you’re coming off like some creepy redpill incel convinced he has to “neg” the pretty girl who keeps ignoring him.
Please explain how “redpill“ fits into this narrative…

Reactions: Ski
Kerkvliet or Kharchla?

Who had the bigger "W"?
I would go with Kharch. One, there was a wider disparity between rankings. Two, once the match started, Kerk was in control......almost throughout vs Kharch's last second heroics. Three, personally, I am not sure I had any idea who Kharch was prior to last night. Now everyone knows who he is. Four, Marinelli answers this question by his post match "crowd comments" of this will never happen again or whatever he said. Clearly the bull is in mid-March form.

Nope, not true…
Correct, Andy Matter, John Fritz, Carl DeStefanis, Scott Lynch, Jim Martin, Jeff Prescott, John Hughes, Sanshiro Abe, Kerry McCoy, Glenn Pritzlaff, Jeremy Hunter, and Phil Davis were all NCAA Champs between 1959 and Cael coming to PSU, which proves that Bluto knows nothing about PSU wrestling but would gladly pay us on Tuesday for a hamburger today. LOL

Correct, Andy Matter, John Fritz, Carl DeStefanis, Scott Lynch, Jim Martin, Jeff Prescott, John Hughes, Sanshiro Abe, Kerry McCoy, Glenn Pritzlaff, Jeremy Hunter, and Phil Davis were all NCAA Champs between 1959 and Cael coming to PSU, which proves that Bluto knows nothing about PSU wrestling but would gladly pay us on Tuesday for a hamburger today. LOL
And most of those were when Team championships were difficult for PSU as PA had 8-10 very strong D1 programs spreading PA talent.

I like PSU, I like PA. But face it, you’re the NY Yankees in terms of how you’ve won when you’ve won. You’re a program that has demonstrated like many other programs you can steer top flight recruits to the top of the podium. However, unlike other programs your landing wayyy more of those types hence the winning.

Personally I’d stick with that plan, it works but it might not be as successful a plan when you can’t get your hands on all those number 1 and 2 overall recruits. Am I jealous of all those riches, not really, but I am aware of it.
This is just a dumb post.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
PSU Wrestling Winning Formula = NY Yankees Winning Formula

That’s a great analogy and I don’t get why that makes anyone uncomfortable. Take credit for setting up the wins on the front end and enjoy the ride. It started with getting Cael and you guys came through for him. Credit Nittany Lions wrestling supporters.

BTW was it true that PSU didn’t have an NCAA champ since 1959 before they became college wrestling’s NY Yankees?

Meh. When is the last time the Yankees have won anything? Penn State's winning wrestling formula is the winning wrestling formula.

( dangit, and then I just read Jefe's post. I'll leave this up anyway.)

You guys didn’t look like your team was the best prepared at 2020 Big Tens or NCAA’s last year.

It will be interesting to see how much longer PSU’s recruiting strategy continues to work. Between burned bridges and other programs putting money forward the landscape is changing. Eventually even the New York Yankees couldn’t buy themselves success.
Burned bridges? No, Iowa State would take him back in a second!

Reactions: danoftw
Has to be Kerk. Askren said Cael has not developed Kerk, plus Sparks was saying that Parris is a cut above everybody at heavy sans Gable.
I am really beginning to think taking a "knock me plum out" knee to the noggin has left Ben with nothing in the wrestling knowledge bank. He is getting to the point that his babbles are on par with a Nebraska kid who utters wrestling phrases like "fist to the back!"

Credit PSU for the top recruits they’ve put in their line-up. Didn’t secure a team title last year but it might this year with the mid-season move-ins.

Like I said, everyone has watched PSU alter the college wrestling landscape in recent years with their massive recruiting hauls. Now that tOSU is doing it (among others) it will be harder for PSU to access what they want Year to year. Coaching up the number one recruit to tie up wrists and get to a single is pretty easy. Coaching up the 23rd ranked recruit is a different story and so far PSU has proven they can only do the former.
Yet there was this guy with a toothpick. Come on dude, stupid is not a good look on anybody. Of course, stupid could just be your ceiling.

Parris couldnt stop Kerks single, much like he couldnt stop Stevesons, it was actually quite similar.
I was shocked at the overall poor conditioning of the UM team! Lewan, Cam Amine, Myles Amine, Brucki, and especially Parris. The guy was sucking wind big time after two minutes. I knew right then that Kerks was gonna win. Parris looked like he was dying out there? Does UM realize the importance of ROAD WORK! Get out and start running every morning. All our guys have great gas tanks!

You think OSU has good team? They suck! We will eat them for breakfast. This year, next year, the year after that, the year after that!!!! When in the future do think you could ever beat PSU with the sad sacks you currently have on the roster? OSU has NO FEAR FACTOR!!! Sasso and that 184 pound guy graduate this year. I see slim pickens for OSU for next 4 years at least.

Last edited:
You think has good team? They suck! We will eat them for breakfast. This year, next year, the year after that, the year after that!!!! When in the future do think you could ever beat PSU with the sad sacks you currently have on the roster? OSU has NO FEAR FACTOR!!! Sasso and that 184 pound guy graduate this year. I see slim pickens for OSU for next 4 years at least.

COBm-8nUwAAJbxb.jpg

I was shocked at the overall poor conditioning of the UM team! Lewan, Cam Amine, Myles Amine, Brucki, and especially Parris. The guy was sucking wind big time after two minutes. I knew right then that Kerks was gonna win. Parris looked like he was dying out there? Does UM realize the importance of ROAD WORK! Get out and start running every morning. All our guys have great gas tanks!
I thought both Miles Amine and Brucki wrestled great. It’s just that AB and Gabe Dean were more prepared just wrestled a little better. Maybe because the PSU room has the best training partners so in these situations, you are ready and win way more than not.

Team Championships? No, it was 1953. FYI we also had 18 top 5 team finishes between then and when Cael took over along with 20 individual champions. What team do you root for?
The team clue was in one response "F*#". The Iowa guys will never say "fun" on HR.

I thought both Miles Amine and Brucki wrestled great. It’s just that AB and Gabe Dean were more prepared just wrestled a little better. Maybe because the PSU room has the best training partners so in these situations, you are ready and win way more than not.
Two time national champion Gabe Dean.

Someone is fishing with dynamite and landing a ton of fish. I thought this board was smarter than falling for that nonsense. Good lord people are writing novels in response.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Nicely done! I think you made a good post re Cael, recruiting, passing on Marstellar…etc.

Gable was known to have had similar success on the recruiting trail for similar reasons. And I think Iowa did a very good job in recent years using the transfer portal to fill in around a very good team dynamic created by Kem, Murin, Lee, Young, etc.

Anyways I hope you guys enjoy your teams success that’s a nice looking line-up I don’t want any of those athletes to feel vilified. They’re my second favorite team to watch, granted there’s a massive tie for second favorite to watch. Haha.
Funny. We always heard that Gable didn't have any top recruits, and just took a bunch of middling farm boys and turned them into great wrestlers. Hmm. I wonder what the truth really is.

You guys didn’t look like your team was the best prepared at 2020 Big Tens or NCAA’s last year.

It will be interesting to see how much longer PSU’s recruiting strategy continues to work. Between burned bridges and other programs putting money forward the landscape is changing. Eventually even the New York Yankees couldn’t buy themselves success.
Who tf is this guy??

I would go with Kharch. One, there was a wider disparity between rankings. Two, once the match started, Kerk was in control......almost throughout vs Kharch's last second heroics. Three, personally, I am not sure I had any idea who Kharch was prior to last night. Now everyone knows who he is. Four, Marinelli answers this question by his post match "crowd comments" of this will never happen again or whatever he said. Clearly the bull is in mid-March form.
I thought from the start the Bull-Kharch was a toss-up. I had no doubt's about Kerk beating Parris. Take that FWIW

Reactions: nitlion6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT