ADVERTISEMENT

who had the bigger W last night?

You guys didn’t look like your team was the best prepared at 2020 Big Tens or NCAA’s last year.

It will be interesting to see how much longer PSU’s recruiting strategy continues to work. Between burned bridges and other programs putting money forward the landscape is changing. Eventually even the New York Yankees couldn’t buy themselves success.
You're right. PSU was not prepared at nationals last year -- not prepared to win five individual titles. They only won four. What a tremendous disappointment. How many individual titles did your Hawks win?

giphy.gif

I remember gibbons and his partner discussing at big tens a few years back that teams better change their mentality about winning and being aggressive offensively or they would never catch Penn state. Doesn't appear anyone was listening lol.

You're right. PSU was not prepared at nationals last year -- not prepared to win five individual titles. They only won four. What a tremendous disappointment. How many individual titles did your Hawks win?
A Pennsylvania kid wrestling for the black and yellow birds won a title.

You do not understand the reason for PSU's success. PSU with Cael in charge is incredibly successful because they get a bunch of elite recruits who go to PSU because they view that as their best option to win NCAA titles and World Championships. NIL money will increase your bank account, however, it will not improve your chances of winning titles.

If Ohio State offers more NIL money, all Cael has to do is make sure a recruit runs into Kyle Snyder...light bulb goes off, Ohio State's best wrestler ever is being trained by Cael. That is happening for a reason.

Regarding recruiting, what is truly amazing is that even with top 10 recruits, it is only about 50/50 that they have an outstanding career. Cael has very few misses. The reason is because Cael does an incredible job of evaluating recruits and projecting their ability forward and staying away from problem recruits (guys with off the mat issues).

Remember when Marstellar and Haines, both 4 time PA state champions went elsewhere? People thought Cael was losing his touch and PSU was done. Haines never became an all-american and Marstellar's off the mat issues are well known. I get Marstellar verballed to PSU, what is not well known is that conditions were put on Chance attending PSU and he went elsewhere as a result.

Cael will continue to dominate with or without NIL, reality is this is wrestling, there just isn't a whole lot of NIL money available to wrestlers. Big opportunities are most likely driven by the individual athlete's ability to develop their own brand. For example, see the Cavinder twin sisters who play basketball at Fresno State, they are doing well with NIL because they have built a brand over the years.
MVP (Most Valuable Post?) on this thread. Can’t see how anyone could disagree with anything you said.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I realize your waaay bigggg mad this morning and just typing the inner circle bullet points from last night's inner circle jerk but maybe next time your feeling so blue get some original material that your ilk hasnt typed for .....going on ...10 ....years.
LOL, what a way to start my morning, hahah!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Do you wanna know what would put Iowa on a level playing field when it comes to landing top end recruits? It’s not NIL. The answer is developing the elite recruits they do get so they reach the top of the podium. Aside from Spencer, the Hawks have been horrible doing that. Kemerer, the Bull, Assad, Warner, Cassioppi. All guys Hawk fans swore would be champs if not multiple time national champs. All, guys who fall short every year. You want the Hawks to bring in more elite recruits? How about your coaching staff prove to them by developing guys that if they go to Iowa they can be a national champ.
Spot on, the last Iowa National Champ not named Spencer Lee was Corey Clark in 2017. Considering the elite recruits and transfers Iowa has brought in over the last several years, that is atrocious. Why any top recruit projected over 133 would consider Iowa is beyond me.

I like PSU, I like PA. But face it, you’re the NY Yankees in terms of how you’ve won when you’ve won. You’re a program that has demonstrated like many other programs you can steer top flight recruits to the top of the podium. However, unlike other programs your landing wayyy more of those types hence the winning.

Personally I’d stick with that plan, it works but it might not be as successful a plan when you can’t get your hands on all those number 1 and 2 overall recruits. Am I jealous of all those riches, not really, but I am aware of it.
Cry about it more tool.

Team Championships? No, it was 1953. FYI we also had 18 top 5 team finishes between then and when Cael took over along with 20 individual champions. What team do you root for?

No shit. I believe PSU had the 5th most all-time AAs behind Iowa, Okie State, Iowa State and Oklahoma at the time Cael took over the program.

Credit PSU for the top recruits they’ve put in their line-up. Didn’t secure a team title last year but it might this year with the mid-season move-ins.

Like I said, everyone has watched PSU alter the college wrestling landscape in recent years with their massive recruiting hauls. Now that tOSU is doing it (among others) it will be harder for PSU to access what they want Year to year. Coaching up the number one recruit to tie up wrists and get to a single is pretty easy. Coaching up the 23rd ranked recruit is a different story and so far PSU has proven they can only do the former.

Really? That's how Cael and PSU won the National Championship in 2011 in his second year at PSU??? LMAO, what a tool.

Reactions: PASLP2 and nitlion6
Top ranked recruit: I’d really like to wrestle for your program.

No coach anywhere: you’d better inquire elsewhere. I like to coach up lower recruits.

Reactions: danoftw
I like PSU, I like PA. But face it, you’re the NY Yankees in terms of how you’ve won when you’ve won. You’re a program that has demonstrated like many other programs you can steer top flight recruits to the top of the podium. However, unlike other programs your landing wayyy more of those types hence the winning.

Personally I’d stick with that plan, it works but it might not be as successful a plan when you can’t get your hands on all those number 1 and 2 overall recruits. Am I jealous of all those riches, not really, but I am aware of it.
Oh no, your jealous alright. How could you not be? If not, why in the hell would you expend as much time and energy as you do over here trying to poison the water?

Reactions: nitlion6
Obviously Penn state recruits as good as anyone. I’m not sure you can compare them to the Yankees when the two best college wrestlers in the sport right now are not on Penn state. Lee and Gable.
I know how Lee’s recruiting went but did Penn State ever try and make a run at Gable?

To me Penn State has the Jimmie’s and joe’s and the X’s and O’s Lol. They get great wrestlers and they have by far the best coach.

Obviously Penn state recruits as good as anyone. I’m not sure you can compare them to the Yankees when the two best college wrestlers in the sport right now are not on Penn state. Lee and Gable.
I know how Lee’s recruiting went but did Penn State ever try and make a run at Gable?
Dipped a toe in the water but didn't push very hard. Everybody knew Steveson was going to Minny.

Reactions: danoftw
To me Penn State has the Jimmie’s and joe’s and the X’s and O’s Lol. They get great wrestlers and they have by far the best coach.
Better way to say it, PSU wrestlers throw deep wizzers and all the other programs, just a wizzer!😉

Damn, youz guyz are thin skinned. Lighten up Francis.

PSU has something going on there that gives them a distinct ability to land an amazing number of top recruits. It far surpasses any other D1 program. Still youz guyz are vulnerable, see mid-season move ins and having to recruit over All-American Beard. I’m really not jealous of it. I enjoyed the 1993 Phillies way more than any Steinbrenner Yankees team.

I do find it amusing how bringing up the one thing that separates your program is met with such discomfort.

• Haha
Reactions: Ski
Damn, youz guyz are thin skinned. Lighten up Francis.

PSU has something going on there that gives them a distinct ability to land an amazing number of top recruits. It far surpasses any other D1 program. Still youz guyz are vulnerable, see mid-season move ins and having to recruit over All-American Beard. I’m really not jealous of it. I enjoyed the 1993 Phillies way more than any Steinbrenner Yankees team.

I do find it amusing how bringing up the one thing that separates your program is met with such discomfort.
What the Yankees did to you must really be unspeakable. Im so sorry for this.

Still youz guyz are vulnerable, see mid-season move ins and having to recruit over All-American Beard.
This is true now. The question for you and fans of other schools is; how vulnerable will this team be over the next 3 seasons? They are going to be a problem. And a healthy PSU team is going to be very hard to beat. Remember, without the Covid free pass Iowa would be an afterthought this year. Circumstance cuts both ways.
And as a side note about Max Dean and Brady Berge, I realize that it is a fun way to poke the bear. But I also realize that you read enough about NCAA wrestling on line to know what the circumstances were behind those moves. It is no different than non-Hawkeye fans tossing grenades about burned red-shirts. Those moves were irrelevant to the individuals and the team. We know that. But it is fun to make fun of.

Reactions: bluroptimo
This is true now. The question for you and fans of other schools is; how vulnerable will this team be over the next 3 seasons? They are going to be a problem. And a healthy PSU team is going to be very hard to beat. Remember, without the Covid free pass Iowa would be an afterthought this year. Circumstance cuts both ways.
And as a side note about Max Dean and Brady Berge, I realize that it is a fun way to poke the bear. But I also realize that you read enough about NCAA wrestling on line to know what the circumstances were behind those moves. It is no different than non-Hawkeye fans tossing grenades about burned red-shirts. Those moves were irrelevant to the individuals and the team. We know that. But it is fun to make fun of.
Actually it's not true at all -- Cael did not recruit over Beard. Dean recruited PSU.

In the Hawk mind, Cael should've turned him away just like Brands did to Lugo and Eierman.

I think the Yankees analogy fits pretty well. Little kids world wide on little leage fields grow up dremaing of playing shortstop for the NY Yankees. Little kid wrestlers grow up dreaming of wrestling for Cael and PSU. The Yankees are synonymous with the World Series and baseball and PSU is synonymous with NCAA dominance and team titles. Very few kids grow up dreaming of playing shortstop for the royals or wrestling for the hawkeyes.

Here’s a short article that encapsulates my observation over the last couple years….

Penn State Rivals PSU Wrestling Recruiting 2021
I agree. My observations are:

1. PSU puts ability+fit as the #1 criteria. We have missed on some champions, but we also miss less often on those we bring in.
2. PSU is very selective on our recruits. Penn State doesn't bring in classes of 8. It is a rifle vs shotgun approach and that makes the culture/scholarships easier to maintain.
3. PSU invariably picks up guys that just plain want to come to Penn State and nowhere else, and their families pay to send them there.
4. PSU realized early the power of a world class RTC. Now everyone else is playing catch up. But it takes a while to catch up, as we are seeing.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Kerkvliet or Kharchla?

Who had the bigger "W"?
I'm going with Kerk. This year, with a whole (healthy) year to prep, Kerk looks like the real deal and I think he will give Gable Steveson all he wants. Carson Kharchla beating the Bull was also very impressive, but I attribute much of that to the way Marinelli has been wrestling this year...just not his same assertive/aggressive self. I think if they meet again Kerk will win again because he's better than Mason. However, I don't think Kharchla is better than the Bull, at least not yet.

Kerkvliet or Kharchla?

Who had the bigger "W"?
Not really sure, or sure that it matters. They both got good W's over quality opponents. Will say, though, that Kerkvliet's W may not have been quite the upset some thought it was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT