ADVERTISEMENT

Who do Steelers pick?

There shouldn't have been any doubt the Steelers wanted a RB in the 1st rd., 2nd at the latest. They left Connor go and only signed a depth piece as a FA, leaving an obvious hole at the position. They had to get a guy who was going to be perceived as a starter on day one. That's not the situation on the OL as there are veteran starters penciled in at every position. Sure, they need to improve the talent level there, but there's not that need for an instant starter.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Snell is pretty useless.

I don't know that he's useless. He can grind out yards. He isn't an RB1 but he can be useful in short yardage situations and late in games when you're trying to run clock out. He doesn't have great speed although he did improve his speed after year one in the NFL even though it's still not great. I think Harris is a true RB1. He looks very good. I saw someone comp him to Saquon although I think that's off. He is not as fast or as athletic as Saquon and he's quite a bit taller. I think his actual comp is to Todd Gurley (before the knee issues). At 6'2" and 230lbs he is a big boy who runs a 4.45.

After that you need some other guys who can do some things because you aren't going to have another 3 down back like Harris on the roster. Snell can grind tough yards. McFarland can be a big play threat. Samuels can catch the ball well. Basically, you have three other guys who can do one of the three things Harris does well.

Normally I would agree but man they have absolutely nothing at RB. But then their history of drafting RB's the last 3 or 4 years doesn't instill me with a lot of confidence I mean Anthony McFarland? Really? Ughhh
But yea I go Harris if Harris isn't there then maybe trade down a few and get a few more choices later on. They need a lot of help.
Ding ding ding. Winner!! I said it in December if Najee lands in our lap then take him!! What a steal and a great get!!

I don't know that he's useless. He can grind out yards. He isn't an RB1 but he can be useful in short yardage situations and late in games when you're trying to run clock out. He doesn't have great speed although he did improve his speed after year one in the NFL even though it's still not great. I think Harris is a true RB1. He looks very good. I saw someone comp him to Saquon although I think that's off. He is not as fast or as athletic as Saquon and he's quite a bit taller. I think his actual comp is to Todd Gurley (before the knee issues). At 6'2" and 230lbs he is a big boy who runs a 4.45.

After that you need some other guys who can do some things because you aren't going to have another 3 down back like Harris on the roster. Snell can grind tough yards. McFarland can be a big play threat. Samuels can catch the ball well. Basically, you have three other guys who can do one of the three things Harris does well.
I don’t know, I don’t really think of Snell being able to get the tough yards. I don’t see anything from him that is particularly endearing. I do agree with you that you need guys to fill different roles, I just don’t think Snell fits any of them.

Reactions: BBrown
I was a big snell guy but he disappointed me with his development. That does happen with backs in later rounds and that is why you have to after Harris if he is there in the first.

Glad the Steelers took N. Harris.

I was already having nightmares that the Clemson RB would end up as the next Walter Abercrombie...... :oops: :oops:
I think the Clemson RB will be good, but I'm happy they took Harris. They need to get back to the smashmouth tradition a bit. This bogus narrative they've promoted the last decade (that the short outs to a WR are the same as a running game) is a large part of why they haven't sniffed a super bowl in that time. It's a hell of a lot different tackling a 230 lb back 20 times a game than tackling a smurf wide receiver.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
I don’t know, I don’t really think of Snell being able to get the tough yards. I don’t see anything from him that is particularly endearing. I do agree with you that you need guys to fill different roles, I just don’t think Snell fits any of them.

Fair enough. I wouldn't be opposed to upgrading the depth on the roster if we can find someone.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I think the Clemson RB will be good, but I'm happy they took Harris. They need to get back to the smashmouth tradition a bit. This bogus narrative they've promoted the last decade (that the short outs to a WR are the same as a running game) is a large part of why they haven't sniffed a super bowl in that time. It's a hell of a lot different tackling a 230 lb back 20 times a game than tackling a smurf wide receiver.
It will be interesting to see what Matt Canada does and his offense. He used Conner pretty well while at Pitt and now that I think about it he may have had McFarland at MD as well.

Round 2 is going to be very interesting. Any chance Pat drops to 55 for the Steelers? Some mocks have the Eagles taking him at 37 but I'm hoping Carolina gets him at 39.

Reactions: BBrown
Round 2 is going to be very interesting. Any chance Pat drops to 55 for the Steelers? Some mocks have the Eagles taking him at 37 but I'm hoping Carolina gets him at 39.
Maybe, I heard that some didn't think Pat's shoulder was healing as quickly as it should.

If he played at Indiana, he gets 4 yds/carry, and goes in the 5th round.
Don't see too many Indiana backs who do this

9256e380-2ab6-4dbb-84ca-84fd63d124e7-TUS_CFPRoseBowlGC3597.JPG

I did forget about Ballage. I think he may be a long shot to make the 53. He's been in the league 4 years and hasn't amounted to much. 691 rushing yards and 7 TDs. I will be surprised if he makes the 53 man. The more I think about it the more I think they do carry 4 RBs just like last year. My guess is Harris, Snell, McFarland, and Samuels.
I think Samuels is the odd man out.

Plus running thirty or more times a game allows the Oline to fire out and punish d linemen. Pancake them a few times, push them around takes a toll physically and psychologically. Much more than pass blacking which allows the d line to be on the attack.

Exactly. The talent at AL enabled him to go 1st round, not his ability.
I keep forgetting to triple explain the obvious.
Under that logic every Bama player or any player who played on a great college team would be an NFL bust. The premise being they had great talent around them and that propped them up so once you equivalize the talent they are not very good. Look for Trevor Lawrence to be a bust, then I guess.

Reactions: GregInPitt
The Broncos are my this year nemesis. Really liked the www guy and then wanted browning.

Well,we drafted a PUNTER! At pick #256 no less. It's not like we don't have a need at other positions. Seriously, 4 more picks and we could have signed him as a free agent! He better be the next Ray Guy. But, when you think of it, with this offense Pittsburgh will have, a good punter is needed. He will be getting alot of work!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Well,we drafted a PUNTER! At pick #256 no less. It's not like we don't have a need at other positions. Seriously, 4 more picks and we could have signed him as a free agent! He better be the next Ray Guy. But, when you think of it, with this offense Pittsburgh will have, a good punter is needed. He will be getting alot of work!

No guarantee he signs with the Steelers if they don’t pick him. The staff was probably in touch with his agent and knew they’d lose him if they didn’t draft him. Ray Guy was a first round pick, not end of the seventh round. But hey, don’t let facts bother you.

Reactions: bison13
Based on their punting issues last year I think it's an outstanding pick. Kid has a rocket leg.

Based on their punting issues last year I think it's an outstanding pick. Kid has a rocket leg.
Picking him in the draft automatically also puts him under contract for 4 years on the cheap. If it doesn't work out you can cut him just like almost every other 7th rounder.

Reactions: bison13
Najee Harris played his high school ball at Antioch High School, which is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, in the farthest reaches of what we call the "East Bay." Roughly 30 miles east of Lafayette, which is itself 15 miles east of San Francisco.

One of my sons played against Najee Harris when he was a senior in high school and Najee was a freshman. Najee started at running back for Antioch from the moment he got to 9th grade. He was a man among boys even then. Antioch barely beat my son's high school team, but Najee did it almost singlehandedly. He ran for something like 325 yards, and several touchdowns. He was rated as the top RB recruit nationwide when he came out of high school, and set most of the individual records for Northern California running backs. It was not surprising that Nick Saban recruited him to Tuscaloosa. There was so much talent in Tuscaloosa that he had to wait his turn, but I think he will be a very good pro running back. He is not quite in Saquon's class, but he is not far behind, IMHO. If the Steelers really needed a running back, I think they made a very good pick.

Well I now know who I'm happy the Steelers didn't pick.

Liked him as a player........ Tennessee's #1 last year may have been the worst #1 pick in the history of the NFL, Isiah Wilson the OT/OG out of Georgia....... will never play in the NFL due to his out and out stupidity......... Oh well, I am sure that he can find another profession making $5MM /year,

Liked him as a player........ Tennessee's #1 last year may have been the worst #1 pick in the history of the NFL, Isiah Wilson the OT/OG out of Georgia....... will never play in the NFL due to his out and out stupidity......... Oh well, I am sure that he can find another profession making $5MM /year,

+1. I think a lot of the accolades Villanueva got was because of his Military service (exemplary) and he was a undrafted FA.
It made for some really good press at the time.

Yep, plenty of teams get in big time cap trouble by over paying for veteran players (NFL veterans....) that can command high salaries in free agency when their talent and value has diminished. The Steelers may have wanted Villanueva back, but weren't going to pay him more than his worth to them within their current cap situation. Not a disrespect to Villanueva; just the Steelers trying to use the available cap space they have to put the best team they can on the field.

Have to wish Villanueva the best, but still hope that the Steeler OLB's burn him the two games they will face him next fall!!! And likely within what seems to be their plan to field a younger oline that has a chance to improve as the 2021 season progresses........

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT