ADVERTISEMENT

Which Big Ten team did it best?

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
Sorry if this was already discussed within another thread (I didn't see it) but has anyone seen a season end list of the cancelled Big Ten games and which teams caused the cancellation?

In other words, we know PSU and Rutgers were the only two teams to play all nine games. Some teams (Iowa, I believe) only missed a game because their opponent cancelled.

I'm curious what other conference teams navigated covid19 that well.

Sorry if this was already discussed within another thread (I didn't see it) but has anyone seen a season end list of the cancelled Big Ten games and which teams caused the cancellation?

In other words, we know PSU and Rutgers were the only two teams to play all nine games. Some teams (Iowa, I believe) only missed a game because their opponent cancelled.

Certainly wasn’t OSU or Maryland.

Penn State stands out on this. i was not aware Rutgers also was able to get through with all their games.

the interesting question is HOW did some teams pull this off, and others did not? was it luck? obviously, you cannot control your opponent, so some luck has to be part of this. however, PSU never caused/missed a game. what was their secret?

O$U - they are in the playoff...that is the objective boys and girls.

Illinois too....only game cancelled was Ohio State

Ohio State. But then again they have the conference hierarchy in their pocket.

Reactions: MacNit07

Iowa did best. They played well, navigated Covid and were ready to play, and kicked our ass and took names. They performed, we made excuses.

Iowa did best. They played well, navigated Covid and were ready to play, and kicked our ass and took names. They performed, we made excuses.
This is not what I was asking. I was asking about avoiding covid and I gave them credit for doing so. I would argue Northwestern probably did it best as they won the division and had zero positive cases on the team.

Penn State stands out on this. i was not aware Rutgers also was able to get through with all their games.

the interesting question is HOW did some teams pull this off, and others did not? was it luck? obviously, you cannot control your opponent, so some luck has to be part of this. however, PSU never caused/missed a game. what was their secret?
Some of it is definitely luck (i.e. you cannot control if your opponent cancels). I would also note that multiple teams had covid issues within their program the week after the played PSU; this strongly suggests to me that on field transmission is not an issue (I think this has been hypothesized, but this supports it) since PSU did not have issues.

I think the biggest thing to avoiding problems is just discipline within your program. Wearing masks, washing hands, not going out to bars/parties, etc. I think PSU did an excellent job of that. Kudos to the staff for leading the charge and to the players for having the discipline to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: NoBareFeet
Centre County being in the middle of nowhere doesn't hurt.
While that is true, university park had 1000s of cases when the students came back. The program did a great job stying in the bubble Franklin and staff created.

Some of it is definitely luck (i.e. you cannot control if your opponent cancels). I would also note that multiple teams had covid issues within their program the week after the played PSU; this strongly suggests to me that on field transmission is not an issue (I think this has been hypothesized, but this supports it) since PSU did not have issues.

I think the biggest thing to avoiding problems is just discipline within your program. Wearing masks, washing hands, not going out to bars/parties, etc. I think PSU did an excellent job of that. Kudos to the staff for leading the charge and to the players for having the discipline to do it.
Oh dear god...The FB players were going out to parties without masks. I'd love to post pics but that would be ridiculous. Just suffice it to say that they were lucky. One apartment that several starters frequented had six confirmed cases (not FB players) among those that lived there or hung out there frequently. Quite a few basketball players as well.

As far as dangerous...none of those that I know who had covid got more than a headache/fever that lasted more than a day.

I thought the fighting Pat Fitzgeralds did well also. [I though they had zero positives all season]

Reactions: bourbon n blues

My top 2 would be:

Northwestern had zero covid cases.
Penn State had one.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Northwestern is the new PSU. Really rooting for them in the Citrus Bowl, which they are gladly playing in.
Well if they were the new PSU and you were a fan, you would have dumped them last year at 3-9 and demanded Pat’s head....it’s great to see other programs get the benefit of the doubt with you.

PSU never caused/missed a game. what was their secret?
They had team meetings by zoom, practice in groups of 10 or less, prepared meals with closed cafeteria, limited weight training because of small groups, Franklin riding around campus making sure players are wearing masks, etc., Not very conducive to good results on the field.

They basically followed all state guidlines and it worked. Who wudda thunk?

Last edited:
With the risk this carries to your average player asking who handled it the best is like asking who makes their beds the neatest or who has the best table manners .
Losing five games seems to say they didn’t manage the virus well because how they handled it didn’t seem to help them get field ready.

Here's a question, was there ever any spread between teams? If I remember right, both MD and MI shut down the week after we played them. Obviously we don't know if they were starters or even saw the field. Would love to know if it spread on the field.

Yes, but they were one of the a$$hat states that surrounded us and openly mocked mask wearing. Thank you North and South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Iowa... :mad: At least Wisconsin's Governor tried.:(

Oh dear god...The FB players were going out to parties without masks. I'd love to post pics but that would be ridiculous. Just suffice it to say that they were lucky. One apartment that several starters frequented had six confirmed cases (not FB players) among those that lived there or hung out there frequently. Quite a few basketball players as well.

As far as dangerous...none of those that I know who had covid got more than a headache/fever that lasted more than a day.
And you know this how? Either provide proof or stop spreading rumors.

What kind of proof do you want to see? Pictures that the State College Police would use to fine everyone at the parties?
How do you have those pictures? Were you at the party? If so, why are you documenting events that will get students in trouble with the police? You are full of ish. STFU.

Michigan missed 3 games. I don't think it was covid. I think they just said "no mas".

Yes, the Penn State football team did a great job of keeping COVID away from the team with minimal positive cases and we played all games, great job!

But, no one outside of Penn State is going to remember that nor care about that. They will see a team that started 0-5, and ended up 4-5, and a team that chose not to play in a bowl game. They will also see that Franklin was openly questioned on his commitment to the program and his personal life.

What do you care more about? Minimal cases/play all games, or the overall story and results of the 2020 football season?

ADVERTISEMENT