ADVERTISEMENT

Where's the New Offensive Coordinator? Can only be one of two scenarios.

Peetz Pool Boy

Jun 11, 2014
Scenario A
Coach James Franklin (hereinafter CJF), CEO of PSU Football Inc, recognized months ago that he had a major problem with his offense and that his employability/longevity as PSU's head coach hinged on getting PSU's offense not only to the point where it surpassed his predecessor (BOB/FLO) but was sufficiently effective going forward that it regularly outscored the weekly opponents such that PSU's fan base, albeit with already diminished expectations, would keep coming back for more 7-5 or better seasons. In short, and aside from the lengthily prior sentence, CJF already has a Tier I candidate identified and quasi-hired for PSU's 2016 OC.

Scenario B
CJF, as the short thinker he appears to be, fired his longtime friend John Donovan in a desperate move of self-preservation AND at the time of the firing, had absolutely no one in mind, other than Ricky Rayne, to take the reins of PSU's offense in 2016.

Scenario D, as with almost all offensive situations when CJF needs to make a quick decision, he freezes, and calls timeout

Reactions: Brazillm10
I heard that he decided after the Northwestern game that he was going to get rid of Donovan. It was on the local ESPN radio affiliate talk show.

Scenario A
Coach James Franklin (hereinafter CJF), CEO of PSU Football Inc, recognized months ago that he had a major problem with his offense and that his employability/longevity as PSU's head coach hinged on getting PSU's offense not only to the point where it surpassed his predecessor (BOB/FLO) but was sufficiently effective going forward that it regularly outscored the weekly opponents such that PSU's fan base, albeit with already diminished expectations, would keep coming back for more 7-5 or better seasons. In short, and aside from the lengthily prior sentence, CJF already has a Tier I candidate identified and quasi-hired for PSU's 2016 OC.

Scenario B
CJF, as the short thinker he appears to be, fired his longtime friend John Donovan in a desperate move of self-preservation AND at the time of the firing, had absolutely no one in mind, other than Ricky Rayne, to take the reins of PSU's offense in 2016.

Self preservation? Boy, posters on this board think they carry a lot of weight in regards to PSU athletics. CJF was not in danger of losing his job so he was not in self preservation mode. I'm sure he spent a lot of time thinking a change was needed. I doubt he made a knee jerk reaction to fire a long time friend and I'm sure he struggled for a long time with the decision.

Scenario A

Scenario B

Real scenario:

CJF has his man... but because of Freeh and new university rules he has to wait a week or 2 after the official job opening was posted on Dec. 3rd to hire anybody.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Ca
Real scenario:

CJF has his man... but because of Freeh and new university rules he has to wait a week or 2 after the official job opening was posted on Dec. 3rd to hire anybody.
Can you share with us the mandatory public job posting?

My deepest apologies and esteemed recognition to you. In recognition of my simple act of modesty, I promise to send you 40 of my virgins in the simple exchange of $10,000,000 of your monies.
How do you know they are virgins? For 10 mil, I want proof.

How do you know they are virgins? For 10 mil, I want proof.
My offer wasn't extended to you, but if you want some of my virgins, they will cost you more.....and some might be sourced from SW Pennsylvania. Are you good with these arrangements?

My offer wasn't extended to you, but if you want some of my virgins, they will cost you more.....and some might be sourced from SW Pennsylvania. Are you good with these arrangements?
Ahhh, NO!
medium-smiley-014.gif

Why didn't you just use "Google" like the rest of us with functioning cerebellums would have?
I've been on vacation....I did my due diligence by checking the posts and didn't see anything remotely related to "job posting"

I feel self-absolved.

I hit "apply" but they wanted me to sign up for something on line so I said "F*** it." That and I saw in the job description where they also want you to be able to run the place in the event the HC can't do it anymore. Not interested.

Scenario D, as with almost all offensive situations when CJF needs to make a quick decision, he freezes, and calls timeout
James Franklin did not call the plays. John Donovan was the one who froze.

Good decisions take time, the right coordinator will be in place in less than two weeks.

James Franklin did not call the plays. John Donovan was the one who froze.

Good decisions take time, the right coordinator will be in place in less than two weeks.
Talking about things like 4th down, taking a timeout to decide whether to go for it or punt, then punting (wasting a timeout. BS like that. Not play calling.

I'm kind of surprised (disappointed) that Franklin didn't take the reigns on the offense for the bowl game. I was expecting that since he was under such scrutiny over the O this year and clock management, and because he has a lot of OC experience, that he would want to prove that "you see! it wasn't me! I can handle this bowl game. and lead the O."

IMHO, I though Donovan's best game was against MSU. My biggest criticisms of Donovan were: (1) everytime we had a big play, the O seemed unready to take the next step...we'd get down to the redzone on a long ball and then instead of doing a quick no huddle and handing it off to Barkley or Lynch and then doing another no huddle and looking for the endzone on a fade, tight end dump, or slant, instead we'd have to take a time out; (2) running long developing running plays as opposed to punching it due to the line problems and long developing pass patterns; and (3) TEMPLE! I will never forget Temple. The Offense looked so dismal and unprepared. You had the entire off-season to prepare for that game and they looked completely flat.

I'm not asking for a particular style of offense. I just want to see our offense look like they know who they are and what they are doing. JD and JF promised that they will create a scheme that builds on the strengths and shields weaknesses. JD (and JF) utterly failed with that scheme this year by not compensating for the line, Hack's preferences and abilities, and consistently bad field position (throw the deep ball on 3rd down! you're punting anyways!).

I don't want to flame JF, because I'm giving him until 2018 to be in the B10 championship and in the top 15, but I'm concerned that his OC selection will be someone who has lesser experience and a weaker resume than he has. That would be fine if you can run the offense yourself (but you're not against Georgia). But you're getting paid the big-boy bucks. Take a pay cut and get a real deal guy in there or prove to me you can do it yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT