ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Saquon Barkley's performance tonight rank compared to all other?

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
Has Barkley himself had a better game in his Penn State Career? Have there been any other games by a running back that have been as impressive? How about passing performances from a QB? A great performance by a defensive player?

Has Barkley himself had a better game in his Penn State Career? Have there been any other games by a running back that have been as impressive? How about passing performances from a QB? A great performance by a defensive player?
I have had season tickets since 1975. That was the greatest individual,performance of any PSU player in any one game ever.

so weird to see a play and think...huh....that didn't go very well....and realize that it was an 8 yard gain....he's just supernatural
I was thinking the same thing all night... Barkey looks to be tackled for a loss, and he breaks a tackle or outruns them to the edge.

The only two performances that I can think of that got surpassed by this performance tonite was Zack Mills in the 324 game and LJ vs. Indiana and Michigan State in 2002.
I did think about LJ JR against MSU, but still give this one to Barkley

He reminds me Anthony Davis from USC - run, catch, returns, block. Power, speed, quickness, and can break it on every play. My only request would be to put him in the I near the goal line and let him build up some steam heading into or over the line of scrimmage.

Larry Johnson vs. Indiana in 2002 was the best I saw before this. But in that game, LJ just ran straight ahead and got a TD seemingly every play; in part that was because Indiana was completely horrible.

This was way better and Saquon is the best player ever at PSU.

He reminds me Anthony Davis from USC - run, catch, returns, block. Power, speed, quickness, and can break it on every play. My only request would be to put him in the I near the goal line and let him build up some steam heading into or over the line of scrimmage.
That's a good comparison. Hopefully he has a better pro career though

The only two performances that I can think of that got surpassed by this performance tonite was Zack Mills in the 324 game and LJ vs. Indiana and Michigan State in 2002.

Barkley did better than that tonight. He earned more all-purpose yards than any player in PSU history. He is the best of the best.

Reactions: maxxedout
I have had season tickets since 1975. That was the greatest individual,performance of any PSU player in any one game ever.
Cappy's four touchdown effort against Lou Holtz led N C State comes to mind. Won the Heisman with it.

Without a single FB on the roster, I think it would be difficult to line up in the I formation

I'll buy his #1 quality fake jersey from whatever team drafts him and wear it with pride, even if it is the jets.
The Jets will screw that up and take an offensive tackle, you know it and I know it.

Very good comparison. Thanks. I hadn't thought of AD for a spell.

In case you want to enjoy that 3rd down conversion again:

How long will it be until the NCAA makes it illegal to hurdle a defender? They'll call it a safety precaution.
My only beef with that play was that it was a run and not a pass. That was a lateral and shoul go into his rushing stats.

Reactions: crayfish67
AD, like Barry Sanders were small. Great backs but never possessed the power of SB. The only three I can think of that were true 'five tool' players are OJ, Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson. But those guys were never asked to catch. Last night was the first time I saw a ball hit SB that he didn't catch, and it just glanced off his finger tips.

Joe is smiling somewhere:)

Reactions: Sharkies
I have never seen a single player defeat another team essentially by himself.

No other player did anything except "hold his own".

I've seen running backs rack up 200 yards, and I recall when Michigan State's running backs racked up 200 each on us. But the third string backup could have had 189 of those yards.

No other PSU running back that I can recall would have had even 100 yards rushing last night with the same blocking. Not Curtis Enis, not Kijana, not Blair Thomas. Truly amazing.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

Great question Ranger Dan. Good call on the above two responses. LJ had holes you could have driven a truck through against Sparty that game, a parting of the green and white seas if you will.

Was Warner's big game against Nebraska in Lincoln? He was exceptional that day.

I will add Enis' game against USC in the Meadowlands to the mix, but I'd vote Barkley's performance against Iowa best ever.

The guy next to me went from he's definitely an All-American to he's the real deal alright. The girl's face next to me when he hurdled a tackler was priceless. I almost said under his jersey is a blue and white S and cape but I didn't.

Let's just all cherish him while we have him and appreciate what he does each Saturday until we get to cheer for him on Sundays.

Reactions: Bob78
Not only did he hurdle the guy, but then he gets hit on the way down and still lands on his feet and gets a couple more yards.

Barkley got the needed 6 yards for the first down plus a few.

Then he also went out of bounds, iirc to stop the clock, saving a potential timeout.

I've seen all of the USC running backs, going all the way back to OJ, and Barkley is better than every one of them. I think he is now in Jim Brown and Barry Sanders territory.

How many times did he get the ball on Saturday night and you thought, "He's toast; this is gonna be a four yard loss?" Then he ends up getting eight yards. Unbelievable..

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT