ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Penn State football rank in your life?

I definitely understand your frustration with the whole STEP thing, and I certainly respect your decision to de-emphasize penn state football, but hopefully you have many great memories from your 40 years. It's still a very positive experience for us and hopefully it stays that way for awhile.
My family had a good run, but things happen. I'll add one more example of what turned one of my daughters away from Penn State. I am a Penn State grad. My daughter graduated with honors. Her daughter graduated from a high school in New Jersey in the top 5 of her class. She applied to, and was accepted by, a number of great schools, including Penn State (main campus). She wanted to continue the family tradition at Penn State. Most schools offered serious scholarship money. Penn State offered nothing. $0.00. I was shocked. She turned to a smaller, highly respected, college in the midwest that gave her nearly a full ride. My daughter said "FU PSU", and now barely speaks of Penn State except with bitterness.

Reactions: CJLion
How did that date go? Did you report back to the Board on it and I just forgot or missed it?

Hey LB. I provided a very detailed report, but someone pointed out that the McAndrew Board has a wide reach and due to the exact times and places in the description it wouldn't be a stretch for her to find out I made a post about our date on the board. So I asked Tom to remove it and he did.

I will tell you though that it went very well. We are still seeing each other. It's complicated though. We live 2 hours apart, there are kids and careers involved. We really dig each other though and are enjoying our times together.

And, she is quite spectacular.

Hey LB. I provided a very detailed report, but someone pointed out that the McAndrew Board has a wide reach and due to the exact times and places in the description it wouldn't be a stretch for her to find out I made a post about our date on the board. So I asked Tom to remove it and he did.

I will tell you though that it went very well. We are still seeing each other. It's complicated though. We live 2 hours apart, there are kids and careers involved. We really dig each other though and are enjoying our times together.

And, she is quite spectacular.

One more thing....

205 Cedarbrook, a board poster here who gave me some recommendations, has a great bike shop. I stopped by once to thank him and introduce myself.

Reactions: fairgambit
For me, it comes right after my family and career!
Penn State Football is very, very important. And it's a family love affair so it's not something that takes time away from the ones we love. I loved the old days. And now as I'm older I love what Franklin is doing.
Penn State Football has been a really good friend to me for a long time. Some folks tried to beat down my friend but you can't keep a good man down.

Penn State football is really the only sport which I am emotionally tied to. Every fall when I make my first trip back to Happy Valley, drive over the crest and Beaver Stadium comes into view, it’s another milestone in my life. It’s like I was always meant to be there. And as I get older and deal with some serious health issues, it represents another year I have survived to enjoy the great experience. There is nothing like Beaver Stadium on a warm September afternoon.

I am semi retired and lead a very comfortable life, traveling the world, golfing, spending summers at my shore home, doing some work for professional engagement and some as a volunteer. But nothing takes a back seat to Penn State football. It’s part of my DNA.

We are Penn State

It’s my only hobby especially now that my kids are grown and I don’t coach anymore. Like I tell my wife, four hours a week is not too much time to spend on a hobby. Of course, I also watch other college football games, but I don’t mind missing those to do things with my wife. I never missed one of my son’s games or one of my daughter’s activities for a Penn State game, but now I’m not missing anything when I watch a Penn State game so it’s a pretty harmless hobby.

Penn State football is really the only sport which I am emotionally tied to. Every fall when I make my first trip back to Happy Valley, drive over the crest and Beaver Stadium comes into view, it’s another milestone in my life. It’s like I was always meant to be there. And as I get older and deal with some serious health issues, it represents another year I have survived to enjoy the great experience. There is nothing like Beaver Stadium on a warm September afternoon.

I am semi retired and lead a very comfortable life, traveling the world, golfing, spending summers at my shore home, doing some work for professional engagement and some as a volunteer. But nothing takes a back seat to Penn State football. It’s part of my DNA.

We are Penn State
Well said my friend. It's an amazing experience to be with people that are basically a second family. The University can screw up and God knows they have but during that game everyone in the stadium is pulling the rope in the same direction.

PSU football is important but as I age it’s importance decreases. I am a 40+ year season ticket holder. I once owned a condominium townhouse in State College just for football. As a retiree and grandparent, my interests have evolved. For some reason, theshore house is more important. My granddaughter’s September birthday is much more important. The last bowl game I attended was the second Rose Bowl (not the most recent). Yes, I bleed blue and white but since I am on a blood thinner, I try not to cut myself as often.

I am a tad older (not much) and continue with my law practice 40 hours a week, because I love what I do and I am very good at it. Even before Sandusky, and Joe's firing, I was looking back on my life and thinking what a waste of time, and money, certain things appeared to be. Penn State football was near the top of that list. The Nittany Lion Club donation, football tickets, motel reservations, gas, food, and souvenirs, were my priority in life for almost 40 years. It was selfish and I regret it. Again, I am not being judgmental. Many can probably manage their football passion much better than I did. For the benefit of myself, and my family, I am now trying to make up for lost time. It is a difficult task.
Fairgamit, if your family (wife especially) is anything like mine, she knows your passion for Penn State is important; even though it has sacrificed some family time. I have therefore tried to include my wife in going to games with me and watching games on TV with me. She has grown to like it (accept it) and it seems to have made us even closer! Even though I am a "tad" younger than you, I will give you some advice. Don't sacrifice your love for Penn State when you have already proven how important it is to you. Follow your dreams. I am certain that we share the same dream....for another National Championship (or 2 or 3) before we go and be alone permanently! Share your love while you can still show it!

Reactions: fairgambit
Fairgamit, if your family (wife especially) is anything like mine, she knows your passion for Penn State is important; even though it has sacrificed some family time. I have therefore tried to include my wife in going to games with me and watching games on TV with me. She has grown to like it (accept it) and it seems to have made us even closer! Even though I am a "tad" younger than you, I will give you some advice. Don't sacrifice your love for Penn State when you have already proven how important it is to you. Follow your dreams. I am certain that we share the same dream....for another National Championship (or 2 or 3) before we go and be alone permanently! Share your love while you can still show it!
I'm glad its working out for you and I hope it always will, but this is how I look at my situation.
My wife nearly always went to the games with me, and when our kids were 4 or 5, we started taking them along. We had 4 seats, and if the kids became bored, or cold, or tired (as they often did), she left the game and took them to the HUB where we met after the game. She was a fan because I was a fan, but looking back, I know she would have preferred that we do other things. Instead of buying season tickets, I should have selected a game or two and been satisfied with that. In the early years we did not have a lot of money, and the costs of my football passion were more than we could afford, so she sacrificed in other areas to make up the difference. For years we never took a vacation because we could not afford both a trip and Penn State season tickets. I always told her "Penn State football is like vacation spread over 6 weekends" and she accepted that and never complained, but it was extremely selfish on my part and I deeply regret it. As I mentioned in another post, perhaps you and others can manage your Penn State passion better than I did. I took it to an extreme, not just regarding the money, but with regard to all the time spent. I didn't just follow our games then. If Texas was playing Texas A&M, I felt I had to watch the game because an A&M loss might move us up from 15th to 14th in the AP Poll. How stupid and selfish. Geeze, just thinking about this makes me angry at myself. I think I'd best leave it at that.

Reactions: Jerademan74
By far (like, light years far) the team/sport I follow the most (no NFL, NBA, college hoops team even close). I guess it has something to do with the lingering school pride. Was at the Mich game in October with my son (his first PSU game in person). Absolutely NOTHING like a White-out in all of sports.

An interesting dichotomy formed though in 2011. Love the football program more now than before, but my overall view of the school as an institution took a hit (thanks to the A-holes of the BOT).

Reactions: john4psu and CJLion
I was always able to rationalize my football obsession. For example, I told myself I worked hard and needed the diversion, ignoring the fact that my wife also worked hard and would have preferred to do other things with our time and money. She knew it was important to me and always put her interests behind mine. As I said earlier, it was selfish on my part and now I am trying to make it up to her.

You have been blessed with riches beyond any lottery.

How important is Penn State football to its fans? They'll come to State College for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll arrive at Beaver Stadium longing for the past.

They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and excitement they crave.

And they'll walk to find their seats, and sit clad in blue and white on perfect sun-drenched crisp fall afternoons. They'll find their reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game perhaps with their children, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

The one constant through all the years, has been Penn State football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Penn State football has marked the time.

When I was going through my divorce, I learned first-hand that marriage isn’t necessarily forever, and someone you love and thought would always be there with you isn’t always the case. You find out your friends not in good times but bad, and one becomes hardened having to go it alone through life from a young age with a non-supportive family.

But Penn State football was always there, every fall, through my good times sharing Joe's 200th, 300th and 324th with my oldest son and Joe's 400th with my youngest son, and more importantly, the bad times as well. It has always been there for me, and something I’ve always looked forward to and always will.

Penn State football till death do I part and even beyond as I hope that some of my ashes find their way to Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium.

That's what Penn State football means to me.

The rest of me hopefully at Augusta National and the black sand beaches of Hawaii (I'll blend right in no one will notice) plus my son gets a nice trip out of it.

For me, it comes right after my family and career!

September 8, 1990 and I was on my honeymoon in Maui. PSU-Texas that day. There was an ad in the USA Today that for $25, you can call in on the phone and listen to the game live. 6:00 a.m. Hawaii time I was drinking beer with the phone to my ear for 3 hours. And you ask where PSU football ranks for me?

I'm probably about the same age as Fair. After graduating, i lived too far from State College and lacked the cash to make it to more than one game a year. But I'd wake up on Saturday mornings with that nervous feeling in my gut, pace back and forth in front of the TV during a game, and my mood for the next couple of days hinged on the outcome of the game.

Then my kids started playing sports. For about a dozen years, my Saturdays were committed to their activities. Following Penn State football meant listening on the radio on my way to or from one of my kids' games or catching a score afterwards. For obvious reasons I was much more emotionally invested in my kids' activities than PSU football. Now that the kids are grown, I still enjoy watching games when I can and look forward to CJF's first national championship, but I'm at a stage of life where football doesn't mean as much to me as it once did.

I'm glad its working out for you and I hope it always will, but this is how I look at my situation.
My wife nearly always went to the games with me, and when our kids were 4 or 5, we started taking them along. We had 4 seats, and if the kids became bored, or cold, or tired (as they often did), she left the game and took them to the HUB where we met after the game. She was a fan because I was a fan, but looking back, I know she would have preferred that we do other things. Instead of buying season tickets, I should have selected a game or two and been satisfied with that. In the early years we did not have a lot of money, and the costs of my football passion were more than we could afford, so she sacrificed in other areas to make up the difference. For years we never took a vacation because we could not afford both a trip and Penn State season tickets. I always told her "Penn State football is like vacation spread over 6 weekends" and she accepted that and never complained, but it was extremely selfish on my part and I deeply regret it. As I mentioned in another post, perhaps you and others can manage your Penn State passion better than I did. I took it to an extreme, not just regarding the money, but with regard to all the time spent. I didn't just follow our games then. If Texas was playing Texas A&M, I felt I had to watch the game because an A&M loss might move us up from 15th to 14th in the AP Poll. How stupid and selfish. Geeze, just thinking about this makes me angry at myself. I think I'd best leave it at that.
There are worse hobbies you could have had my friend. I started in a similar fashion as you and we weren't necessarily wrong. Hell, we only get six or seven home games a year. Like you I was nuts with following every other game too in the old days.
That has changed for me. Anymore I really only care about Penn State. The rest of college football and sports in general can jump in the lake.
So yeah, maybe you did spend more money than you should have but that's life. That's the way you lived it and you know there were a lot of good times. And the good part is now you're doing other things so hopefully in the end things will have balanced out somewhat.
The Penn State family is still a great unit to belong to. Think about this board - one could ask a medical or legal question and get 50 responses in 10 minutes from top people in their respective fields. That's pretty cool.

I feel your pain Fairgamit. I have done similar things and felt guilty as well, but not as guilty as you seem. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my life and think more about other things I am missing, but I guess I am addicted and in denial :)

How important is Penn State football to its fans? They'll come to State College for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll arrive at Beaver Stadium longing for the past.

They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it. For it is money they have and excitement they crave.

And they'll walk to find their seats, and sit clad in blue and white on perfect sun-drenched crisp fall afternoons. They'll find their reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game perhaps with their children, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces.

The one constant through all the years, has been Penn State football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But Penn State football has marked the time.

When I was going through my divorce, I learned first-hand that marriage isn’t necessarily forever, and someone you love and thought would always be there with you isn’t always the case. You find out your friends not in good times but bad, and one becomes hardened having to go it alone through life from a young age with a non-supportive family.

But Penn State football was always there, every fall, through my good times sharing Joe's 200th, 300th and 324th with my oldest son and Joe's 400th with my youngest son, and more importantly, the bad times as well. It has always been there for me, and something I’ve always looked forward to and always will.

Penn State football till death do I part and even beyond as I hope that some of my ashes find their way to Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium.

That's what Penn State football means to me.

The rest of me hopefully at Augusta National and the black sand beaches of Hawaii (I'll blend right in no one will notice) plus my son gets a nice trip out of it.
Well said John! Penn State football has passed the test of time! Through good and bad times, PSU football endures it all, started by JVP and now kept vibrant by CJF!

I feel your pain Fairgamit. I have done similar things and felt guilty as well, but not as guilty as you seem. Perhaps I need to re-evaluate my life and think more about other things I am missing, but I guess I am addicted and in denial :)
As I've mentioned, many can manage their football obsession better than I did. If you reach a point where you miss a cousin's wedding because Penn State is playing Syracuse at home; or you pay the utility bills late because you need money for tickets; or any number of other stupid, selfish things I did, you may need to re-evaluate your priorities. I eventually did re-evaluate, but far later than I should have.:(

As I've mentioned, many can manage their football obsession better than I did. If you reach a point where you miss a cousin's wedding because Penn State is playing Syracuse at home; or you pay the utility bills late because you need money for tickets; or any number of other stupid, selfish things I did, you may need to re-evaluate your priorities. I eventually did re-evaluate, but far later than I should have.:(
Had my HS best friend get married on the same the day PSU played tOSU at the Beav. I went to the wedding (and he was a fellow PSU grad). But half the guys were watching at the bar. It was one of only two tOSU-PSU games I missed since 1976 (the other being the bowl game in 1980) until giving up my season tickets after the 2012 season, though I did go to the shellacking in Ohio Stadium in 2013 (as I live here).

But, from the start, I tended to split my tickets with another alumni (though they were in my name). That balanced things out a bit. I think the only year I went to all the home games was 1985 or 1986--anyway, a year which there were always six.

That said, one of the first things I did when dating my wife was to take her to see Penn State vs Syracuse. I did not expect her to become a fan, but I wanted her to see what it was all about.

FOOTBALL. :eek:

tenor.gif

Reactions: john4psu
Had my HS best friend get married on the same the day PSU played tOSU at the Beav. I went to the wedding (and he was a fellow PSU grad). But half the guys were watching at the bar. It was one of only two tOSU-PSU games I missed since 1976 (the other being the bowl game in 1980) until giving up my season tickets after the 2012 season, though I did go to the shellacking in Ohio Stadium in 2013 (as I live here).
But, from the start, I tended to split my tickets with another alumni (though they were in my name). That balanced things out a bit. I think the only year I went to all the home games was 1985 or 1986--anyway, a year which there were always six.
That said, one of the first things I did when dating my wife was to take her to see Penn State vs Syracuse. I did not expect her to become a fan, but I wanted her to see what it was all about.
You did it the right way. I did not have to see every home game. I also spent too much time and money on away games. And I did stupid stuff, like twice in the 1970's dragging my wife with me from Pittsburgh to Philly, watching the Temple game, and driving back to Pittsburgh, all in the same day. It was crazy, it was unfair to her, and it was TEMPLE! To make it worse, we damn near lost both games.

Happy to say it's not that important to me. I'm a PSU grad and live 1.5 hours from University Park. I still have season tickets and manage to make it to most home games. That being said, when I see a schedule come out and there's 4 home games in a row, I shudder. Another wasted month during the nicest time of the year. If I have something else going on, I'm happy to sell my tickets even if it's to the whiteout game. Between work, family, personal hobbies, vacation, etc. it's pretty easy to place priorities in areas of my life that don't involve PSU football.

I'm still soured by the handling of Paterno and have really lost my connection to the University. I also manage hiring for a large firm and have come to realize the PSU doesn't do a real great job preparing kids for the workforce.

I'd never send my kids to PSU and for the most part, don't recommend it as an option when friends come to me looking for advice on college.

Happy to say it's not that important to me. I'm a PSU grad and live 1.5 hours from University Park. I still have season tickets and manage to make it to most home games. That being said, when I see a schedule come out and there's 4 home games in a row, I shudder. Another wasted month during the nicest time of the year. If I have something else going on, I'm happy to sell my tickets even if it's to the whiteout game. Between work, family, personal hobbies, vacation, etc. it's pretty easy to place priorities in areas of my life that don't involve PSU football.

I'm still soured by the handling of Paterno and have really lost my connection to the University. I also manage hiring for a large firm and have come to realize the PSU doesn't do a real great job preparing kids for the workforce.

I'd never send my kids to PSU and for the most part, don't recommend it as an option when friends come to me looking for advice on college.
Our graduates always get high marks from folks such as Wall Street. Think it's ridiculous you would bad mouth any school to kids especially your own relative to education.

Reactions: CJLion
You did it the right way. I did not have to see every home game. I also spent too much time and money on away games. And I did stupid stuff, like twice in the 1970's dragging my wife with me from Pittsburgh to Philly, watching the Temple game, and driving back to Pittsburgh, all in the same day. It was crazy, it was unfair to her, and it was TEMPLE! To make it worse, we damn near lost both games.
We'll we've done a lot of road games as well--but those are fun as they are often places we might not otherwise have seen. Recall, (a) it used to be 8+ hours from Columbus to State College (no I-99/55 mph) and getting a room closer than Bedford or Brookville was tough and (b) I was just out of college when I got them and didn't have much money for tickets. So I lucked into it a bit. One reason we stopped going--the travel was getting to be too much. Still, we're taking my Kent State niece to the game next season.

Mrs. KG has really enjoyed some of our road trips too (and we lost a lot of them). Iowa this season was a blast--but we add stuff to the trips. We hit Springfield on the way out for some Lincoln history (sadly the Korean War museum had just gone out of business--my wife's late father was a Korea vet) and then got to visit her great great great grand father's farm in rural SE Iowa. Usually some kind of zoo is involved as Mrs. KG is bonkers about elephants (she loved Tuscaloosa for that reason). But we've done things like the SAC Museum in Omaha, Monticello in Charlottesville, and the Mercedes Benz factory in Tuscaloosa. Wish I could have gotten her to do the Rose Bowl and parade with me in 1994. That's pretty special.

Reactions: john4psu

I also do a lot of hiring and find the exact opposite. PSU grads are absolutely ready for the workforce.

I also do a lot of hiring and find the exact opposite. PSU grads are absolutely ready for the workforce.
Yeah, that's what I've always heard. Can you imagine a Penn State guy telling kids looking for a college don't go to Penn State. Smh.

Family
Friends
Travel/adventure
Career
Exercising
Coaching youth sports
Snowboarding
Music/reading
Enjoying good food and beverage
Cigars / bourbon
Mastering my own domain
Technology
-
-
- Penn State Football

So you are going to pass up a game to listen to music and / or read? I sense some tom foolery here.

I used to coach kids soccer. I would have the game going through my smart phone.

Reactions: PSUPride1
If you were from West Virginia, you could combine the first two.:)

LOL.....

For #1 the example I was thinking of was that if your wife came to you on a fine late September morning when PSU was playing Pitt and suggested that today would be a great day to take the kids to the orchard....... What do you do?

My answer would be "let's go now so I can get home to watch the second half".

So you are going to pass up a game to listen to music and / or read? I sense some tom foolery here.

I used to coach kids soccer. I would have the game going through my smart phone.

The question that was posed was, where does Penn State football rank in your life?
Would I read a book or listen to music instead of watch a PSU game? No. If I had to choose between having music and books in my life vs PSU football, I'd choose music and books. Now would I go see a concert of a band I liked over PSU football? Absolutely.
Don't get me wrong, I watch almost all PSU football games on TV. But if I miss one, or they lose, it doesn't really impact me. As soon as I change the channel, I've more or less moved on already.

Part of this stems from my getting older and having kids. Another part stems from the fact that PSU doesn't mean as much to me as it did prior to Sandusky. What I knew and loved is no more. And quite honestly, I'm a better person because I don't place that much importance on it. It's a hobby, no more, no less.

The question that was posed was, where does Penn State football rank in your life?
Would I read a book or listen to music instead of watch a PSU game? No. If I had to choose between having music and books in my life vs PSU football, I'd choose music and books. Now would I go see a concert of a band I liked over PSU football? Absolutely.
Don't get me wrong, I watch almost all PSU football games on TV. But if I miss one, or they lose, it doesn't really impact me. As soon as I change the channel, I've more or less moved on already.

Part of this stems from my getting older and having kids. Another part stems from the fact that PSU doesn't mean as much to me as it did prior to Sandusky. What I knew and loved is no more. And quite honestly, I'm a better person because I don't place that much importance on it. It's a hobby, no more, no less.

I took it as a question of one's free time. On a Saturday afternoon, what would you prefer.

I do get your point about getting older. When Notre Dame came back and beat PSU back in 1991 or 1992 needing a TD and a 2 pt conversion, I was so pissed I couldn't sleep. These days I just shake my head, but do wake up wondering about it....

Reactions: PSU95alum

Did you notice that you haven't gotten any likes? If you are truly happy with your position, more power to you. I'm just saying :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT