ADVERTISEMENT

Where can I get the best pizza in State College?

Had the Haufbrau many times.

As good as it is, you're talking Rutgers (Hofbrau) vs. Penn State (Mama Lucrezia's).

Mama's is out of this world good. Just pepperoni is good; they also have seafood pizza and my personal favorite, chicken marsala pizza. Their garlic bread is also straight from God.

Chicken on a pizza? Oh my God that sounds so fowl!

TAP. TAP. Hello. Is the mic on? Can you hear me?

I haven't had Hi Way pizza since 1966 but it was a favorite back then and I was from Jersey where there was good pizza. The original owner, forget his name, would call up the fraternities just about closing time and tell them to come down to get the left-over pies. That was great advertising and some free pizza for the guys.
Herlocher's pizza was a staple in 1963. Hiway pizza's square thick pies started '64-'65??? in a cubby hole across from the Student Bookstore. My God I've gotten old. Came from North Jersey where grew up with Caputo's Restaurant seasoned thin crust with stringy mozzarella in Fair Lawn, NJ on River Road. Never had another like it.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
It sounds like the greater State College area could benefit from adding a Jet’s franchise.

Jet's is the best pizza chain. Their deep dish tastes like Pizza Hut pan pizza tasted like in the 80s but better. They are from michigan though so screw them right now.

Reactions: Nittany18
Jet's is the best pizza chain. Their deep dish tastes like Pizza Hut pan pizza tasted like in the 80s but better. They are from michigan though so screw them right now.
They are rapidly expanding their franchise network. The franchises here in the DFW area closely-mimic the high quality I recall in SE Michigan.

Reactions: odshowtime
Many, many people will disagree with me, but that is fine.

IMO Faccia Luna is highly, highly overrated.

For my money, the best combination of quality and price is Brother's.

Best for sit-down pizza/food and huge beer selection - Home D on South Atherton. Good luck getting near the place post game.

Reactions: denniskembala
Pizza Mia from Bellefonte is really good.... haven't had from their State College location though

Also good strombolis

Reactions: First Last
Faccia Luna, hands down. It's consistently voted the best pizza in State College.

I stopped once to try the beer and remembered they had pizza... Robin Hood Brewing in Bellefonte. Has anyone eaten there? Honestly, like Michigan and winning the B10, pizza and state college just don't go together.

There was a delivery deal where you would get sticks and a one topping personal pizza for like $9.99 - paired with a Zima (DON’T JUDGE!!) and that was a good way to begin the weekend...

We didn't indulge in pokey sticks often, but when we did it was always at the end of the weekend, around 3 AM on Sunday morning. We always preferred ACME pizza, or DP Dough.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I stopped once to try the beer and remembered they had pizza... Robin Hood Brewing in Bellefonte. Has anyone eaten there? Honestly, like Michigan and winning the B10, pizza and state college just don't go together.

We didn't indulge in pokey sticks often, but when we did it was always at the end of the weekend, around 3 AM on Sunday morning. We always preferred ACME pizza, or DP Dough.
MaconNitt & I stopped there last year after a hockey game. Beer, meh. Pizza looked good but I have never seen such large chunks of veggies on a pizza before.

MaconNitt & I stopped there last year after a hockey game. Beer, meh. Pizza looked good but I have never seen such large chunks of veggies on a pizza before.

That was my experience, average beer, but the pizza looked good.

I went up to State College late this afternoon to take my daughter out for dinner and decided to try Mama Lucrezia's. We both had pasta dishes and they were very good. Sorry, I can't speak for the pizza.

One other customer was there...a mother from Michigan whose son goes to Penn State. No booz, but they allow BYOB or BYOC (cooler, I checked).

Glad you enjoyed the place.

Their stuff is really good whether it's pizza or pasta. They also make some great house-made desserts from time to time as well. Owner is always very nice too.

Robin Hood/Home D is way overrated. If you're "in" to waiting an hour for your pizza to come out after ordering, go for it.

I've never seen a place (at both Bellefonte and State College locations) with service that's so slow, so consistently.

What kind of person orders chicken on pizza? :rolleyes:
Mrs KG does. And she is Italian!

I'll note that Faccia Luna is good. And while the campus location of Highway was replaced by another restaurant (I think it's the same chain and I think it's now the aforementioned Inferno) the one on North Atherton is still open. It was our go to post game meal for a couple decades. I think there's also one off S. Atherton near the HS, but I'd only been rarely there. However, it's been a couple of years since I was at a game in Happy Valley (was at graduation this year).

Friend and I will be in town for the Michigan game and we want to go to a sit-down restaurant Friday night that serves pizza and beer. (Ha, big surprise, right?) We used to go to Highway Pizza but I'm not sure they are in business any more. Would prefer a place that serves NY style pizza. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

Asking who has the best pizza in SC is like asking who is the tallest midget...at least that's been my assessment.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Mrs KG does. And she is Italian!

I'll note that Faccia Luna is good. And while the campus location of Highway was replaced by another restaurant (I think it's the same chain and I think it's now the aforementioned Inferno) the one on North Atherton is still open. It was our go to post game meal for a couple decades. I think there's also one off S. Atherton near the HS, but I'd only been rarely there. However, it's been a couple of years since I was at a game in Happy Valley (was at graduation this year).

The one on Westerly Parkway (near the HS) closed years ago. However a new one is opening on West College Ave out toward Blue Course.

The one on Westerly Parkway (near the HS) closed years ago. However a new one is opening on West College Ave out toward Blue Course.
In the former West Side Stadium, which closed earlier this year. Not sure when the new Hi Way Pizza plans on opening, though - but it should be relatively soon, I'd think.

Although some won't admit it, Champs pizza is better than most have listed. I was skeptical at first, but I've had it a couple times in the last year and it was fantastically cheesey and greasy.

81d3e95c0a008699db7c3c484a0d7e8b.png

Just thought of something... So I don't know how it is in State College, but the Pizza at Primanti's in Pittsburgh is really good. Don't let their garbage sandwiches influence your opinion of the rest of their food. They surely have beer too, it's mostly racing beer, but they generally have 2-3 craft taps.

Just thought of something... So I don't know how it is in State College, but the Pizza at Primanti's in Pittsburgh is really good. Don't let their garbage sandwiches influence your opinion of the rest of their food. They surely have beer too, it's mostly racing beer, but they generally have 2-3 craft taps.
out here (MI), we call it lawnmower beer, but racing beer makes sense too
Back in the 80s/90s we would get pizza quite often at the skellar. Wasn't great, but we were drinking cases of RR and needed something to eat without leaving and losing our table

Reactions: pandaczar12
out here (MI), we call it lawnmower beer, but racing beer makes sense too
Back in the 80s/90s we would get pizza quite often at the skellar. Wasn't great, but we were drinking cases of RR and needed something to eat without leaving and losing our table

In general, I would agree with you, but there are good lawnmower beers, such as New Glarus Spotted Cow and St. Arnold's Lawnmower. I've never known a good beer to sponsor a race car.

Reactions: PeetzPoolBoy

Not a beer drinker. What is racing beer?

I forgot to tell you. I went back a few weeks ago with my wife and daughter on a Saturday. The place was doing a good business...not packed but brisk. A woman was waiting on us that I assumed was the owner. She was very nice. We all got pasta and it was very good again. Next time I'm going to get the pizza. It looked very good.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The last time I was there I tried the pasta pescatore--first time having the dish at the restaurant, and I loved it. The owner is an extremely nice woman and her story is very inspiring. She built the place from nothing, and it's good to see people like her have success.

I haven't had Hi Way pizza since 1966 but it was a favorite back then and I was from Jersey where there was good pizza. The original owner, forget his name, would call up the fraternities just about closing time and tell them to come down to get the left-over pies. That was great advertising and some free pizza for the guys.

Andy Zangrilli. He's still the owner.

Andy Zangrilli. He's still the owner.
I've had the red sauce stuffed pizza at Hi way with pepperoni and spinach and it is always good and is a very popular pie there. I also like Facia Luna's brick fired oven pizza and they also have gas oven pizza available.

The Oracle has his ups and downs but I'd love to be on the trip with him where he gets to Bellefonte in 5 or 10 minutes.

speeding-car.original.jpg

Years ago when they held the PIAA basketball championships at the BJC, I met up with friend of mine that coached high school basketball in the Oil City area. I'll never forget he pronounced Bellefonte, Bel-a-fonte like Harry Belafonte. I always think of it when I see Bellefonte. Still cracks me up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT