ADVERTISEMENT

Where can I get the best pizza in State College?

jboots

Oct 12, 2002
Friend and I will be in town for the Michigan game and we want to go to a sit-down restaurant Friday night that serves pizza and beer. (Ha, big surprise, right?) We used to go to Highway Pizza but I'm not sure they are in business any more. Would prefer a place that serves NY style pizza. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks.

Reactions: Fila
Friend and I will be in town for the Michigan game and we want to go to a sit-down restaurant Friday night that serves pizza and beer. (Ha, big surprise, right?) We used to go to Highway Pizza but I'm not sure they are in business any more. Would prefer a place that serves NY style pizza. All suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
NY style... but the title says your looking for the best pizza?.?. ;)

Reactions: JJTopp99 and PSU87
Brothers? Come on now.

Mama Lucrezia's in Bellefonte. Nothing else is even close.

If you don't want to travel 5-10mins to Bellefonte, Facia Luna on South Atherton is probably the best in State College.

If you are going to Bellefonte go to the Hofbrau. But it is a chewier crust than I like. Brothers is more of a NY style and is what I would recommend.

Reactions: Yanks49 and 2atpsu
If we are talking State College, then I also like Brothers the best. Just know that there is more than one Brothers... the good one is by the mall. The one downtown is blah.

If you are going to Bellefonte go to the Hofbrau. But it is a chewier crust than I like. Brothers is more of a NY style and is what I would recommend.

Had the Haufbrau many times.

As good as it is, you're talking Rutgers (Hofbrau) vs. Penn State (Mama Lucrezia's).

Mama's is out of this world good. Just pepperoni is good; they also have seafood pizza and my personal favorite, chicken marsala pizza. Their garlic bread is also straight from God.

Had the Haufbrau many times.

As good as it is, you're talking Rutgers (Hofbrau) vs. Penn State (Mama Lucrezia's).

Mama's is out of this world good. Just pepperoni is good; they also have seafood pizza and my personal favorite, chicken marsala pizza. Their garlic bread is also straight from God.

Orifice doesn't have a clue about anything! Wouldn't use his/her/its recommendations for anything!!!

The Oracle has his ups and downs but I'd love to be on the trip with him where he gets to Bellefonte in 5 or 10 minutes.

speeding-car.original.jpg

Nothing wrong with Brothers if you're downtown imo. It's pizza.

As a townie, I concur. They deliver and it's always hot. They use real stick pepperoni and they make decent hoagies. They put their hoagies on pizza shells which irritates some folks. Some people demand an Amoroso roll or similar but for the price it's fine. Sometimes delivery can be slow but you have to pick your spots. I had Hi-Way pizza once I think. It's fine but overrated, IMO. It's on the other side of town from me, not driving up there for pizza when Luna is a few blocks away.

I used to love it but I was there this past July and it was a bit off. That was the first I had been there since 1997
I haven't had it myself in 5 years or so. I may have to make a trip to State College just to check it out.

Glad to find another fan of Pokey Sticks. The pizza was horrible though.

There was a delivery deal where you would get sticks and a one topping personal pizza for like $9.99 - paired with a Zima (DON’T JUDGE!!) and that was a good way to begin the weekend...

I used to love it but I was there this past July and it was a bit off. That was the first I had been there since 1997

I haven't had Hi Way pizza since 1966 but it was a favorite back then and I was from Jersey where there was good pizza. The original owner, forget his name, would call up the fraternities just about closing time and tell them to come down to get the left-over pies. That was great advertising and some free pizza for the guys.

Gumby's, College Pizza, and Canyon Pizza are the holy triumvirate of the budget-friendly joints in town. Depending on how many beers you're planning on having before you eat, you can ride the circuit for about $5 total.

Get Canyon Pizza on Beaver Ave. Best NY Style pizza in town. They deliver in cop cars though, so don't freak out when they arrive, lol.

Never heard of Pokey Sticks till a buddy stopped by and brought them. Fills the gut.
Gumbys is a chain, fyi. If you are looking for a place to walk to downtown, is Inferno on college ave still operating? How about Belle's Greek Pizza?

When it comes to $1 slices, I'm a College Pizza guy :). Canyon while sobor is brutal

Gumbys is a chain, fyi. If you are looking for a place to walk to downtown, is Inferno on college ave still operating? How about Belle's Greek Pizza?

When it comes to $1 slices, I'm a College Pizza guy :). Canyon while sobor is brutal

Inferno is still there. Bells unfortunately is gone.

It sounds like the greater State College area could benefit from adding a Jet’s franchise.

As oracle said, Bell's Greek is no longer with us - but it was one of the few options that was both good AND cheap. College was my go-to of the cheap options - but for the $5 special with two slices, breadstick and soda. Canyon is actually better at night (sober or not) because they're constantly cranking out fresh pizzas. If you go during the day you just get the slices that have been sitting there for who knows how long.

I'm up State College every other weekend. To be honest there's no great pizza places. All of them are just ok. Tons of good places with different beer selections.

Angelos in boalsburg is probably the best I've had. Brothers has a buch of locations and the Pizza is different in all of them. Never thought any of them were that great. If you do go to Brothers id probably go to the one by the mall

Really depends
Brothers downtown no beer but decent Za and next to rathskeller for the beer part
Gumbys is a good doughy hearty pizza decent sauce located downtown but purely a pickup/delivery joint no sitdown
Inferno more of a bar downtown ok pizza

Hi way pizza-north atherton - good atmosphere decent sports bar pizza is good but rich sauce
Brothers -north atherton- small sitdown area more cheesy type pizza not sure they sell liquor

none of the above except maybe brothers downtown serve close to NY style

Canyon is closest to ny style no beer-- again like gumbys pretty much eat on the go if I recall

Home D and Facia Luna cant say either way never tried them

As oracle said, Bell's Greek is no longer with us - but it was one of the few options that was both good AND cheap. College was my go-to of the cheap options - but for the $5 special with two slices, breadstick and soda.
I learned a lot from your post, none of which actually relates to pizza. Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raffycorn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT