ADVERTISEMENT

Where are my Herbstreit lovers?

Here is the good news. We can't be voted out like we could 20 years ago.

Win them all, and we are national champs. 98% probability.

Can we still get screwed if we lose one game? Sure. Is it better? Yes.

Would it be better still if we weren't in this lousy conference? Absolutely.

Here's the bad news - we can be voted out and were voted out last year. Even after beating OSU and winning the B1G we were not voted into the playoffs to have a shot at a championship. Flip the script from last year to this year - say we lose at the shoe, they go to the B1G championship game and win, you really think they're going to put us in over the Bucks? Especially with OSU AD on the voting committee we're twice as boned if it's ever the same as it was last year. Until we remove the committee entirely we absolutely can be voted out.

Here is the good news. We can't be voted out like we could 20 years ago.

Win them all, and we are national champs. 98% probability.

Can we still get screwed if we lose one game? Sure. Is it better? Yes.

Would it be better still if we weren't in this lousy conference? Absolutely.
I would say that if you think Penn State has total control of their destiny, then you weren't paying attention last season. While I don't think there is a widespread media bias, I do think that Penn State needs to have the common belief in the media that they are a playoff worthy team. I think that CJF knows this and is working to make statements and convince everyone of their merits.

I would say that if you think Penn State has total control of their destiny, then you weren't paying attention last season. While I don't think there is a widespread media bias, I do think that Penn State needs to have the common belief in the media that they are a playoff worthy team. I think that CJF knows this and is working to make statements and convince everyone of their merits.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that we have a lot more control.

Had we won them all, we'd be national champs. Heck, had we only lost one, we'd be national champs.

Far better than before.

Had we won them all, we'd be national champs. Heck, had we only lost one, we'd be national champs.

Far better than before.
I would say about the same control....let's say Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, PSU and USC all have one loss. Who gets left out? Then maybe throw in another one loss team, say it's Michigan. If you think PSU is a slam dunk to get in, you're crazy.

Oklahoma gave up 41 points to an 0-4 Baylor team, doesn't drop them.
I don't know whether I classify as a Herby lover or not, but I don't have a problem with him. I don't think he's biased with his positive or negative statements to any significant degree. I was once an umpire who also played. If anything, my umpiring calls would go against any team that I could have conceived to be favoring just to prove I wasn't biased.
I think Herby would be hesitant to put any BIG team in his top four unless doing such would be irrefutable just to prove he is unbiased.
I took a look at all the AP voters and found the 30 of the 61 total voters ranked Penn State at no. 5 or worse. I can't fault Herby for not putting us in his top four.

I would say about the same control....let's say Bama, Oklahoma, Clemson, PSU and USC all have one loss. Who gets left out? Then maybe throw in another one loss team, say it's Michigan. If you think PSU is a slam dunk to get in, you're crazy.

No, I agree with you. If two teams have one loss, we are probably getting left out.

But it is still a mile better. We won every game in 1994 and were voted 2nd best.

No, I agree with you. If two teams have one loss, we are probably getting left out.

But it is still a mile better. We won every game in 1994 and were voted 2nd best.
The new system is the same as the old system except they take four teams instead of two. It's the BCS 2.0.

Oklahoma gave up 41 points to an 0-4 Baylor team, doesn't drop them.
Big deal. What Herbie thinks week four is meaningless.

By the way, we beat Akron (1-3 and just lost to Troy), Pitt (1-3), Georgia State (1-2 after an impressive win over Charlotte) and Iowa (3-1 but unranked and gave up 41 pts to Iowa State in an overtime win).

Lets not pretend that you can't make an argument that we don't belong in the top 4 yet.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Big deal. What Herbie thinks week four is meaningless.

By the way, we beat Akron (1-3 and just lost to Troy), Pitt (1-3), Georgia State (1-2 after an impressive win over Charlotte) and Iowa (3-1 but unranked and gave up 41 pts to Iowa State in an overtime win).

Lets not pretend that you can't make an argument that we don't belong in the top 4 yet.
You could argue that we should not be much higher than 7 right now. We beat three bad teams, and then needed a last second TD to beat an OK one.

Don't get that at all. Oklahoma won 48-41 over winless Baylor (0-4). Clemson was tied with Boston College 7-7 in the 4th quarter at Clemson. But he drops Penn State for digging out a win in Iowa City which he had been promoting all week as a very tough place to play and giant killer stadium at night?

Frankly, it goes to show you that the 'eye test' is basically how many points did you score? Struggle with inferior teams but win 48-41- all he sees is you scored 48. Struggle with lowly BC but score several garbage time TDs to make the score better- all he sees is 34 points. Only score 21?- you're being dropped.
Yup. He likes offense. Go figure.

It seems kinda weird to me to care about Kirk Herbstreit's personal top 4 in September. He's not even on the committee.

His jacket certainly didn't.

4d446752e044dc79ee24efc7588426ab--vignette-design-tartan-plaid.jpg

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y

Far better than before.

You actually think if we had beaten Pitt last year that we would have been in over tO$U? o_O:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT