ADVERTISEMENT

When were you sold on women’s wrestling?

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
This question came to mind during the recent buzz about PSU potentially adopting a women’s wrestling program. Yeah, I know, the question itself is a bit cringe given that wrestling is wrestling, we are all people (I reserve the right to disagree in my particular case), and equality rules, but reality is also reality, and boys will be boys. So give me a pass on that angle. I suspect the average person has experienced a shift in his/her enthusiasm for or fandom of women’s wrestling over time, so look at the question that way.

When/where/how/why were you hooked?

If your answer is the same as mine, I might even give you a Like.

This question came to mind during the recent buzz about PSU potentially adopting a women’s wrestling program. Yeah, I know, the question itself is a bit cringe given that wrestling is wrestling, we are all people (I reserve the right to disagree in my particular case), and equality rules, but reality is also reality, and boys will be boys. So give me a pass on that angle. I suspect the average person has experienced a shift in his/her enthusiasm for or fandom of women’s wrestling over time, so look at the question that way.

When Stand with pride got ragdolled by his wife. 😉 I really enjoyed watching and rooting for the USA women at this year's Olympics, so if there was a turning point for me that was the start.

I've watched girls at the youth level wrestle boys and wasnt a fan. More so because of the parents and the boys reaction to a loss.

I coached a boy who's family made us forfeit when they had to wrestle a girl. Which was freaking annoying.

I rooted like heck for our girls this summer.

So I think I'm just a fan of good wrestling. Give me blades or TMS or the other world caliber gals any day over tony nelson, stall rides or the iowa push to the edge BS. Or Greco.....sorry crop.

I went to the Middle Atlantic female championship -- don't know the official title -- cause it was held at our local high school. Since I coached youth wrestling for a long time, I've been to a lot of tourneys. And this one was just the same. Some novices, but some studs and lots of average girls on a road to learning the ropes. And the little ones wrestling were just as cute and clueless as the Bantom boys were in their early bouts. But there was plenty of aggressiveness, surprisingly good moves, and gritty performances. It was a fun time, good enough that I went back in following years. Some of these girls are really good. And it's a great sport to watch.

And if those Blades sisters are the result of putting these girls through this developmental tunnel, then full speed ahead.

It’s probably only been within the last 2-3 years for me. I can’t pinpoint an exact moment, but it’s definitely been recently as it seems they have been getting a lot more publicity.

Macey Kilty is my favorite to watch right now, and it’s probably coincided with her going juniors and into senior that ive really gotten into watching the women.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
I became interested once I got past the fact there was no mud.

;-/

2-3 years ago I watched a few events and was pleasantly surprised by the skill level - my bad. I can't recall who was wrestling but distinctly remember thinking she looked like a female Nolf, and I got interested. I will say what I just witnessed in the Olympics jumped a level or two, and now I am really hooked. Our woman's team is awesome.

I like women's track and field, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming, even golf.

The WNBA doesn't do it for me as the Delta in spectacular athletic ability is pretty large.

Last edited:
Reactions: crablegs1
I would say I started following more closely in 2015 or so and especially leading up to Rio. I had read some articles on Helen and the women's team and started watching prior matches. I enjoyed reading some of the background articles on Helen and was really excited to watch her as the Rio games approached. I have been a fan of women's wrestling ever since.

One of the aspects of women's wrestling I really enjoy is what I feel to be a greater reliance on technique versus strength. That, combined with the greater flexibility of women, adds up to a lot of great action, especially in the lighter weights. I would also assume the difference in women's physiques-musculoskeletal anatomy, especially their hips, changes the types of positions they get into and the technique they use compared to male wrestlers. In summary, I'm definitely a fan. Here are some videos of Helen's foot sweep technique and other highlights to show some of the great technique out there in women's wrestling. Helen's foot sweeps Helen highlights

Last edited:

Pretty early for me as Helen Maroulis went to my high school so I started rooting for her and watching women's wrestling when she started winning World medalsl so probably 2015 or so, certainly no later than 2016 when she won in Rio.

BTW, welcome back slushhead, hope to see you in Detroit.

If it didn't have mud or Jello involved I ignored it until the NLWC events on Rokfin. Entertaining bouts and better wrestling than I expected caught my attention. The Olympics sealed the deal. It would be a shame for the state that dominates boys' high school wrestling with the university that has has had the premier wrestling program over the last decade plus to not lead the way in women's wrestling. We should dominate that too.

Leading up to Rio. I hadn't had much opportunity to watch much before then. Since then I've really enjoyed seeing overall advancement of skill levels/techniques and a large increase in overall depth of highly skilled women wrestlers. I think the future is bright.

Same story, December 1998 during a scrimmage with Grove City, Laurel and Seneca Valley, Erin Tomeo took down and to his back our 112lb. She held him there for the entire minute go.

Her opponent was an AAA State Qualifier that year and a multiple Powerade place winner.

Erin's brother was an All American out out of Clarion. Runs in the family.

TMS and Adeline at the Olympics.

In an earlier life, Ox’s opponents in the movie Stripes were very inspirational.

I'm confused on what to call the young up and comers, the boys are called "studs" what are the girls correctly called? On another note, have you ever noticed that there is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix?

NLWC events on Rokfin. Sprinkling it in with the guys made the lightbulb go off…… it’s just wrestling.

When boys were forced to wrestle girls. They deserve their own league.

I got pulled into it while reffing

giphy.gif

Helen beating Saori. I cried like a mitch. Went down a rabbit hole after that and watched a bunch of the japanese girls and realized just how good the Japanese women were at wrestling.

When my daughter went from HS team manager to competitor to JC All American. I was against it in the beginning. Not that she shouldn't wrestle just the fact I don't think girls and boys should be wrestling each other. If a boy wins he beats a girl. If the girl wins the boy gets beat by a girl. As long as they can have different divisions I am all for it.

It started with the NLWC Rokfin events, then got stronger watching the Olympic Trials, then really peaked seeing how well they did at the Olympics!

Great question, and great to see you back around here, ole bro!

{When/where/how/why were you hooked?}

I got hooked immediately, from the first time I watched it. Sometime around the London Olympics, I'm guessing--not sure if it was during Trials or actual London competition. But one of my favorite things about wrestling has *always been the different body types ("Any Body Can Wrestle"), so when my eyes got hold of a whole new set of body types in the form of female wrestlers, I freakin dug it.

Since then, my appreciation of Women's Wrestling has grown in a lot of ways. One of those is watching the sport struggle with the representation puzzle, because it makes sense to me that it's easy for a lot of people to get stuck thinking it's a chicken or egg situation. I watched a few anti/rhetorical takes asserting or questioning that it has to first earn fan viewership (before it can be given bigger platforms). I don't hate on those b/c I can see how easy it would be to view through that lens.

I know now, however, that that lens is myopic and, frankly, wrong.

For so many topics, Exposure absolutely must come first--if there's any hope of the unexposed ever learning from it or appreciating it. The Sports World has always understood the story of an underdog, for whom all they needed was just one chance. So I'm on board with starting with Representation (whether that's the chicken or the egg doesn't matter--just that one has to be picked)(thereby nullifying the use of Chicken/Egg as an accurate portrayal of Women's Wrestling's struggles to gain fans)(thank you for bearing with my rhetorical tedium).

Another aspect that absolutely has me hooked is an evolute from the representation struggle, and that is the sheer quality of the ambassadorship we now get to see from these incredible women. I'ma moist up my eyes just typing out my memory of Adeline Gray (the Queenest of all the Ambassadors, imo) coming off the mat after a heartbreaking Gold-medal-losing loss and immediately pivoting from sad athlete to don her promotion hat. I'm a 50 year-old man with two sons and no daughters (and one Mother!), but listening to Ambassador Adeline (and the next day, Champion Tamyra Mensah-Stock) speak to the world of little girls and young women out there with the You Can Do Anything message, I felt that. So inspirational! And it makes me want to lean in more, with my fandom.

I guess I'll finish with that as my takeaway (from the exercise of my answering Slush's question): make a list of what *eye* can do to help Women's Wrestling grow. The opportunity landscape ahead is vaassst: let's gooooo!

Helen Maroulis over Sofia Mattsson in the semis of the 2016 Olympics (video here). I had been paying attention to women's wrestling but Helen's creativity here really won me over and made me think that maybe the differences were negligible, at least at the top tier. Helen opens up this match with an inside trip from a front headlock. But it's her third takedown that's really remarkable--she's looking go-behind and then switches up to footsweep-ankle pick and takes Mattsson right to her back, and eventually gets the pin. As sweet as anything I've ever seen.

Not sold yet! will watch if its mixed in with mens wrestling. But getting closer to being sold on womens wrestling!
!! Some of these women are dam good!! Womens wrestling is on a good trajectory, but it will take some time.

When boys were forced to wrestle girls. They deserve their own league.

That is an interesting discussion unto itself. When should girls and boys be separated in wrestling? I've seen quite a few mixed tournaments out here on the left coast and saw a lot of high level youth matches with boys vs girls from 6 years old to 16.

My wrestling son started wrestling on a club team in 7th grade and was always matched up with a ranked senior girl in practice. He had no reservations or issues getting beat down by a girl. He would get up and try and try again and learned a lot from the experience.

Great question. For me, like pawrestlersintn, it's been a progression in that I don't remember a moment, or moments (specific year, tournament, a certain women's wrestler) when it kicked in. By reading all the posts, I suspect I've been a fan longer than most however. Like men's wrestling at the recent Olympics and Junior Worlds, I made it a point to watch every USA man and woman compete, to the point of being sleep-depraved, enjoying the women compete just as much as the men. I see the following;
-- College D1 Men's wrestling is at best holding it's own -- little in the way of growth or cancelled programs right now, though I see more at-risk programs than potential new programs. Hopeful for growth, just not sure where it'll come from.
-- College D1 Women's wrestling has no where to go but up.
-- I see freestyle wrestling growing in the USA, whether it's Cadets, Juniors, U23, Seniors, whatever, for both men and women.

I have been a fan of womens wrestling ever since I attended the 2015 World Championships in Las Vegas ! I had the pleasure of sitting next to Adeline Grays family when she won her world title ! Our whole group was impressed with all of the action the women displayed !

Still not sold as a college sport yet. The numbers just aren’t there yet. I do enjoy watching it tho. It’s a lot like the ufc. Most of the time the women put on the best fights. While the men are dragging around being to cautious.

Watching Japans women was amazing and the older Blades sister who once she hits the weight room I think HW is her division until she gives it up.

ADVERTISEMENT