ADVERTISEMENT

What's the status of our offensive line?

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
i didn't follow who was dinged up and didn't play last night. I know Fries came in for Nelson at right tackle but who were we missing and who was playing out of position? And importantly, who starts where next week?

According to a reporter, Chaz Wright was dressed for the game but was wearing an ankle brace and didn't play. That turned out to be a huge loss as his replacements were getting beat all night.

Reactions: bmw199
According to a reporter, Chaz Wright was dressed for the game but was wearing an ankle brace and didn't play. That turned out to be a huge loss as his replacements were getting beat all night.
What is his injury and likely status for next week? I presume Fries gets the start if Wright can't go. Guns?_

What is his injury and likely status for next week? I presume Fries gets the start if Wright can't go. Guns?_
LOL, Gunsy....l
Female-Bodybuilder.gif

Franklin and Guns are conferring, then they'll let the IU Coaching Staff in on the decision sometime tomorrow morning. The tv announcing crew will get the news on Thurs, the players involved will be advised at breakfast Sat morning and if you are paying attention you'll find out on the first play from scrimmage.

The situation is this- they had better enlist the help of a shaman, witch doctor, faith healer, voodoo queen or whomever in order to get Chasz Wright healthy. Neither Nelson or Fries is/was up to the task. Fries is passable, but got beat or nearly beat too often. The same for Nelson, but even more so. Gellerstedt is listed as the #3 RT but he did not play from scrimmage and if you saw him whiff on the block that led to the blocked Davis FG attempt then you know why. Obviously, Sterling Jenkins is so far down the depth chart that he is not even in the running. I thought that in this, his redshirt sophomore year, that he would be able to give them something. I was wrong.

The situation is this- they had better enlist the help of a shaman, witch doctor, faith healer, voodoo queen or whomever in order to get Chasz Wright healthy. Neither Nelson or Fries is/was up to the task. Fries is passable, but got beat or nearly beat too often. The same for Nelson, but even more so. Gellerstedt is listed as the #3 RT but he did not play from scrimmage and if you saw him whiff on the block that led to the blocked Davis FG attempt then you know why. Obviously, Sterling Jenkins is so far down the depth chart that he is not even in the running. I thought that in this, his redshirt sophomore year, that he would be able to give them something. I was wrong.

not sure if Miranda is an option. i think he was listed as C/G, but was considered very mobile OL guy similar to Bates.

Thorpe? thought he was a pure T.

not sure if Miranda is an option. i think he was listed as C/G, but was considered very mobile OL guy similar to Bates.

Thorpe? thought he was a pure T.
Miranda and Thorpe are both guards and are being redshirted this season. Neither one will play unless there are a number of injuries to the offensive line. Look for Miranda to fight with Menet for the starting right guard spot once spring practice starts in late March.

Miranda and Thorpe are both guards and are being redshirted this season. Neither one will play unless there are a number of injuries to the offensive line. Look for Miranda to fight with Menet for the starting right guard spot once spring practice starts in late March.

is Menet a possible T? i think we were told he is a great athlete and was a 4/5* guy in HS. he is in his second year here. i think he may be our most highly rated OL recruit on the team.

i didn't follow who was dinged up and didn't play last night. I know Fries came in for Nelson at right tackle but who were we missing and who was playing out of position? And importantly, who starts where next week?

If Wright isn't able to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mahon move back to RT. He was playing great in that spot last year before the mystery injury. As this would obviously leave a hole at RG, I think Menet may get the start there.

I would argue that even if he's close, let Wright heal against Indiana. Getting him healthy for the rest of the B1G slate is more important than rushing him back against Indiana

If Wright isn't able to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mahon move back to RT. He was playing great in that spot last year before the mystery injury. As this would obviously leave a hole at RG, I think Menet may get the start there.
if 77 is going to be out for an extended period of time, I agree with putting Mahon back to OT, but I would move Mc Govern back to RG, and play Simpson at C. I think McGovern will get us more push at the POA.

Sometimes you don't realize how much lineman contribute until they aren't playing. That's the case with Wright for me. Iowa had a great left D-end and he gave our RT's fits all night. I watched the last drive and he beat the RT almost every play causing Trace to avoid him before he could do anything.

ADVERTISEMENT