ADVERTISEMENT

WHATS THE LATEST on Paterno v NCAA?

Detective_MackDaddy

Nov 21, 2011
How long till this goes to trial.

f7d2d4d8bbcc7cbd28162c76cbe313bb_biting-fingernails-clipart-nail-biting-clipart_258-450.jpeg

Looks like the NCAA filed on Friday a request to depose Curley

Looks like the NCAA filed on Friday a request to depose Curley
Looks like CS&S trials will free up a lot of information moving forward. I would expect huge delays. For example, Curley stating that the one email stating "coach is anxious" being relative to JS and not JVP is substantive.

Lundy, I'd be interested in you writing up and posting a lengthy email regarding:
  • Matters of fact
  • Matters that have changed between the GJP and what we know today.
  • Matter of speculation, based on what you know

Looks like CS&S trials will free up a lot of information moving forward. I would expect huge delays. For example, Curley stating that the one email stating "coach is anxious" being relative to JS and not JVP is substantive.

Lundy, I'd be interested in you writing up and posting a lengthy email regarding:
  • Matters of fact

This!

• Matters of fact

Sorry I missed...so Curley "confirmed" Coach is anxious was JS and not JVP during his testimony...wow...

Wonder if Freeh even picked that up in his rant the other day or he just sent out his response to the Spanier Juries decision at random...

Again...apologies if I missed...

Sorry I missed...so Curley "confirmed" Coach is anxious was JS and not JVP during his testimony...wow...

Wonder if Freeh even picked that up in his rant the other day or he just sent out his response to the Spanier Juries decision at random...

Again...apologies if I missed...

It looked to me like Freeh's "rant" was pre-written and was cued up to be released based on any type of conviction. It was to "own" the narrative and take a victory lap. It appears to have been released before the miscommunication that the conviction was a misdemeanor, after initial reports it was a felony. Regardless, Freeh wrote and released it to win in the court of public opinion....it is still open as to whether he wins in a court of law.

It looked to me like Freeh's "rant" was pre-written and was cued up to be released based on any type of conviction. It was to "own" the narrative and take a victory lap. It appears to have been released before the miscommunication that the conviction was a misdemeanor, after initial reports it was a felony. Regardless, Freeh wrote and released it to win in the court of public opinion....it is still open as to whether he wins in a court of law.

Then...could the courts not consider his latest rant defamation as well ?

He does mention cover-up and conspiracy again...?

I'm clueless on the legal side of this..

But...can't help to think that his latest remarks have to help support both Spanier and Paterno's Lawsuit in some way ?

Reactions: NICNEM_PSU80
  • Matters of fact
I would be interested in having someone do that, too!

Then...could the courts not consider his latest rant defamation as well ?

He does mention cover-up and conspiracy again...?

I'm clueless on the legal side of this..

But...can't help to think that his latest remarks have to help support both Spanier and Paterno's Lawsuit in some way ?

I am not an attorney so don't really know but here is my best shot.

As we've just seen, trails by jury are a free for all...they are volatile and unpredictable. In addition, the trial we just say was a criminal proceeding and not a civil one. In Criminal, supposedly, the burden on proof is on the prosecution (not really true but that's what the constitution says and what they teach in grade school). in Civil, its just a preponderance of truth. A criminal trial requires unanimously. Civil does not.

The fact that Spanier was found guilty of something really kills his case, and hurts paterno. Nobody on the jury will understand that it has nothing to do with cover up or conspiracy. I mean, look at the national writers that are writing that this conviction closes the book on PSU being a criminal and out of control football program?

IMHO, unless spanier gets this overturned, his civil suit is dead. For Paterno, its a little better, but it is still very damaging.

If I am their attorney, I say that this latest round of defamation, libel and slander is proof of the damage and perpetual extent of the original defamation, libel and slander. I file more charges against those in the initial complaints and only cite 60 Minutes ... USA Today and Loius Freeh's new false statements. I would ask for a gag order for anything stated out of court about these matters. Has this not already been done. If a gag order is in place, I would file against Louis Freeh to be found in contempt of court before all else. The fool needs checked. A contempt citation presentable to the jurors in the outstanding cases would work wonders with a jury.... but only if a gag order is in place.....

Another question....does PA have malicious or vengeful frivolous prosecution laws?

I am not an attorney so don't really know but here is my best shot.

As we've just seen, trails by jury are a free for all...they are volatile and unpredictable. In addition, the trial we just say was a criminal proceeding and not a civil one. In Criminal, supposedly, the burden on proof is on the prosecution (not really true but that's what the constitution says and what they teach in grade school). in Civil, its just a preponderance of truth. A criminal trial requires unanimously. Civil does not.

The fact that Spanier was found guilty of something really kills his case, and hurts paterno. Nobody on the jury will understand that it has nothing to do with cover up or conspiracy. I mean, look at the national writers that are writing that this conviction closes the book on PSU being a criminal and out of control football program?

IMHO, unless spanier gets this overturned, his civil suit is dead. For Paterno, its a little better, but it is still very damaging.
I would like to hear a lawyers opinion on this. I would think that a not guilty verdict on the conspiracy charge along with Tim Curley's testimony totally blows up the Freeh Report, and thus strengthen Spanier's case.

Even though the jury pool is tainted, the not guilty on conspiracy will give the Spanier lawyers the ammo they need to proceed with the civil case guns a blazing, and the last thing Freeh wants to do is have to defend his discredited work in detail on a witness stand.

I would like to hear a lawyers opinion on this. I would think that a not guilty verdict on the conspiracy charge along with Tim Curley's testimony totally blows up the Freeh Report, and thus strengthen Spanier's case.

Even though the jury pool is tainted, the not guilty on conspiracy will give the Spanier lawyers the ammo they need to proceed with the civil case guns a blazing, and the last thing Freeh wants to do is have to defend his discredited work in detail on a witness stand.

I Freeh's release is a gift to the Spanier and Paterno cases and attorneys if handled properly.

I mean Freeh basically says in his report the men conspired...yes? Or at least that is what he said during his Press Conference...accused them of all the things they were found NOT GUILTY of...?

Until the Spanier verdict is overturned, it is somewhat negative in my opinion. Once the verdict is overturned, however, his stupid statement is highly beneficial to Spanier's case and a push to the Paterno case. Spanier's false conviction was because of the predisposition the jurors had from the bad PR. The false info in the Freeh report was a major source of the false PR. Freeh doubled down by saying everything in his report was true! He knows it was false and lied anyhow! Loudly! How stupid!

The Paterno case could benefit but it will have to make the connection that the OAG, Freeh and the NCAA were cooperating behind the scenes. Otherwise the NCAA can blame Freeh for all of the errors.

Just the thoughts of an armchair wannabe non attorney. I was astonished that he made those stupid remarks. It opened him up to some real exposure. He should get a good attorney! HaHa.

Reactions: dshumbero
ADVERTISEMENT