ADVERTISEMENT

What's the fastest you've ever driven on an open public road (US only)

My friend and I verified that his 1973 Pontiac Lemans 350 2bbl would indeed peg the 120mph speedometer on Route 22 heading west near Route 100 in Fogelsville.
My best friend had this exact car growing up and rebuilt the 350 with performance parts and put a posi rear in it etc. It was scary.

Then he had a race shop rebuild a 455 Pontiac big block and he put that in and drag raced it. It was insane!

Reactions: brupsu
about how old were you, and what were you driving?

Edit: Road with a speed limit.

115 mph, 17 yo, 1968 Olds 98 with a 455 rocket V8.

It was like driving a large boat with a comfy couch, and getting to that speed was effortless and quick, I'm assuming that my numbers will be pretty tame compared to some of you.
I'll bet you get a lot of lies on this subject.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
Hit ~125/130 on the PA turnpike driving my new car home last year. Done 150 on a track. In the VW Golf in my avatar.

On the track 150 feels slow. 130 feels fast on the turnpike.

Hoping to experience 200mph next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: brupsu and PSUfiji
Speedometer in my Mach 1 goes to 150 and I've had that buried a bunch of times. 3 miles per gallon seemed like a great idea at the time lol. With the after market computer in it I can get almost 6 mpg if I take it easy.

After reading the thread, I feel like a total pansy. The best I can cop to is 90 MPH on a Montana interstate...and I thought that was daring!
I'm currently in Mytle Beach and it's a 11 hr drive from NEPA. I can honestly say that I broke 90 mph at mph over 10 times passing the jack wads in the passing lane doing 73 in a 70. Eff those idiots.

Last edited:
140 many times while working on I-80 in Union County PA. When someone flys by going 100 mph + when you're running radar at a stop, you really have to tramp down on the accelerator to catch up!!! Sorry guys....retired PSP......1988-2009.

140 many times while working on I-80 in Union County PA. When someone flys by going 100 mph + when you're running radar at a stop, you really have to tramp down on the accelerator to catch up!!! Sorry guys....retired PSP......1988-2009.
Nice!!!

🍻

Reactions: Dragons 62
If you have ever done 100 mph or greater on a motorcycle you know that the feeling of danger is much greater than doing 120+ mph in a car. So for me that was the "fastest" I have gone and the fastest I want to go...............
I sort of disagree. I guess it depends on the motorcycle. My ZX11 was so smooth and just wanted to go and was very comfortable cruising above 100. Felt very safe. The fastest I had it was ?; speedo indicated 150+ but not sure how accurate it was.

Cars I've had felt like they would fall apart at that speed.

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I sort of disagree. I guess it depends on the motorcycle. My ZX11 was so smooth and just wanted to go and was very comfortable cruising above 100. Felt very safe. The fastest I had it was ?; speedo indicated 150+ but not sure how accurate it was.

Cars I've had felt like they would fall apart at that speed.
If you felt "safe" cruising above 100 on a motorcycle you must have been on the smoothest pavement on the east coast, and you must not have looked down at the pavement flying by 2 feet from your face........

One bump. A ground hog crossing the road. And you are nothing more than a wet spot on the road.

It was like driving a large boat with a comfy couch, and getting to that speed was effortless and quick, I'm assuming that my numbers will be pretty tame compared to some of you.
Age 17—About 120 mph down the Johnstown expressway at 0130 hrs in a 74’Audi ….. trying to make “last call” at the Penn Hotel, across from the mill. The only bar ( we knew of) for an underage kid to get served.

**drove about 140+ on the autobahn 15 years later in a BMW ( and I was getting passed.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PSUfiji

17 years old 128 1970 Olds 98 convertible with the same 255 rocket V8. Coming down the Penfield mountain. Back right window rattled at 120.

62 Chevy impala ss 409 dual quads 105 mph at Decatur rd ne philly.Car was a beast but lost that night to a guy who outdrove me.I was 18

Last edited:
115 mph on 176 N from Morgantown to Reading around 1994 (age 20). I was driving a 4 cylinder Mercury Topaz and it shook like crazy!

Reactions: brupsu
50 years old ... after purchasing the 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i depicted in my Avatar used, I refreshed all the usual suspect problem parts to assure proper running order I desired to see what it could do... So late at night on a nice straight away 145mph in no time and it had more to give... but my heart didn't because "the car started lifting up off the road, scared the shit out of me, and i ramped it back down..." same as ericstratton-rushchairman noted with his BMW. I think it would have felt more solid on asphalt pavement than concrete.

120ish on a gsxr crotch rocket.

What’s the fastest everyone has been pulled over at? I was doing 92mph on NE Ext. in Jim Thorpe. Think it was still 65 then.

Had a 1983 Honda V45 interceptor heading north on Rt 81 running late to watch a buddy road racing at the Pocono Raceway at one point looked down saw I was doing 150 mph decided being a little late would be ok.

Yep, I understand it's a little dangerous but just had to open it up. I am always very conscious and aware of other traffic. Last year I purchased a Shelby GT 500 and have had some mods done. Just doing a little living.
I'm currently looking for a GT 500, 2007-2009. Red with red and black interior. But when I find one for the right price I believe I'll try and stay out of 5th and 6th gears.... ;)

What year is yours?

Reactions: TheGLOV
115 down wantaugh parkway from west bury/Hicksville area to southern state. 2001 Acura TL. I was racing a friend who had a Mazda rx7. We ran out of room fast so I was only in 4th gear and didn’t get to 5th gear. I did feel the car starting to get light and that is another reason I didn’t go to 5th gear. Scared the hell out of me.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSUfiji
I hit 133 on the turnpike coming from Pittsburgh to Philly in a 2016 Audi A4. Honestly, I hit the governor on a downhill portion and I felt like I could’ve easily hit 150mph in that car.

Fastest I’ve ever been pulled over is 104 in a 55. Cop cut me a huge break as 31+ over is automatic loss of license. I paid a (large) fine but didn’t lose my license.

Reactions: PSUfiji and TheGLOV
Now that you've revealed yourself...what's the best way to handle being pulled over for driving high speed?

Other than the obvious which is to hit the gas and hope you get to the next exit before you are seen exiting...

When I was young and foolish I raced a 1966 Jaguar XKE on the Bucksutem Road in New Jersey. I was driving a 1966 Corvette Stingray fastback with a 427/450. XKE was pulling away from me when I hit 140mph and the front end started to float. No idea how fast the XKE was going but I chickened out at 140. Took about 45 minutes before my right leg stopped violently shaking. Had I wrecked at that speed that fiberglass vett would have exploded like a bag of potato chips. Young and stupid is a bad combination.
You've just ruined old Vettes for me.

• Haha
125 in a 1967 Jaguar 420G(lwb sedan) on Indiana Route 49 heading to Dunes State Park back in 1975. It was like sitting in a cushy living room chair, just watching the scenery go by.

• Wow
126 mph in a first year Dodge Viper in 1997ish in Buffalo. My girlfriends uncle was a paraplegic and bought 3 of them as an investment and parked them only for close friends to get their kicks with. It was a six speed and I got to that speed in 4th gear then backed off. Early 20's.
i know it gets nerve racking watching the speedo. but if you go so far you just have to bury it

About 125 in my bitchin' bright yellow 1979 Camaro Z-28 eastbound on the Atlantic City Expressway. There's a section where it's four lanes near the Egg Harbor toll booth and it was about 3 AM with nobody around. I wanted to peg out the speedo at 130 but the car was shaking too much and the engine was screaming (only a 4 speed) so I backed off after just a few seconds. I don't think I ever had that car over 100 again.

Reactions: PSUfiji
17 years old 128 1970 Olds 98 convertible with the same 255 rocket V8. Coming down the Penfield mountain. Back right window rattled at 120.
Are you talking Rockton mountain descending into Clearfield? I had a HS classmate back in the 80s who claimed he hit some ridiculous speed, at least 140, in an El Camino on the same road. I did not believe him as I figured he would be off the side of the hill at those speeds in that vehicle. I did not believe him and made fun of him mercilessly. That road was responsible for my first two tickets - one as I was about to start down and running late for work and the other as I was about to start up on the way to school a year later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT