ADVERTISEMENT

What's the fastest you've ever driven on an open public road (US only)

My neighbor has a Ford GT .... for a second I thought you were talking about the same car.
Anyway, I just asked him how fast he has been in his GT .... 175mph on I75 in Michigan.
The GT is 880 hp, 3200 lbs, tops speed 221mph
Holy crap. There are a lot of fast cars out there. You just never know what is under the hood. Be careful who you line up against at the next red light. Ha Ha

122mph in a 2016 Dodge Charger Scatpack at the age of 51.
Rt 7 West between Leesburg and RoundHill VA

B0Qa7Fis.jpg

I don’t think I’ve ever hit 100, nor do I have any desire to do so. I did notice I had my minivan (Chrysler Pacifica) at 93 driving back from Florida a couple weeks ago. That’s probably about my highest, five or take a couple MPH.
I briefly hit 90-95 almost every week in my car. It just feels so good. Literally feels like 65-70mph.

@Lion Son/Husband/Father and I switched cars this past weekend for 20 minutes for the fun of it and I hit 92mph in a 45mph zone in his tuned Audi TT. Different feel getting there but speed is speed.

If you felt "safe" cruising above 100 on a motorcycle you must have been on the smoothest pavement on the east coast, and you must not have looked down at the pavement flying by 2 feet from your face........

One bump. A ground hog crossing the road. And you are nothing more than a wet spot on the road.
Not true, not at all.

Bikes traveling at speed are much more stable than most people realize. Suspensions are better, and so are tires. I've run over a buddies sleeping bag when it came loose off his bike at 80mph with nothing more than a slight wobble. I'm not suggesting that anyone try this, of course.

Not true, not at all.

Bikes traveling at speed are much more stable than most people realize. Suspensions are better, and so are tires. I've run over a buddies sleeping bag when it came loose off his bike at 80mph with nothing more than a slight wobble. I'm not suggesting that anyone try this, of course.
You can believe that if you want. I've seen what was left of bike riders that wiped out at high speed.

Let us know when you survive hitting a ground hog, or a deer. Or some significant gravel.... There is a reason that there are many more fatalities from bikes than cars...

"according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In 2019, motorcyclists were nearly 29 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle miles traveled"

But if you feel that safe, go right at it !!

Last edited:
You can believe that if you want. I've seen what was left of bike riders that wiped out at high speed.

Let us know when you survive hitting a ground hog, or a deer. Or some significant gravel.... There is a reason that there are many more fatalities from bikes than cars...

"according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In 2019, motorcyclists were nearly 29 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a crash per vehicle miles traveled"

But if you feel that safe, go right at it !!
I know what I know, you know what you know- I've been riding for over 50 years.

Condolences for the career spent collecting revenue for the state.
Sounds like you've been a big contributor. What grab ass job line of work are you in? Ever knock on doors and tell family that their loved one is dead? Till then STFU. I worked the road for my whole career, so I couldn't avoid not citing people. Never was the Station Commander's boy....because I didn't write much. I used to give 20 mph over the speed limit on secondary roads. At some point you have to put pen to paper. Maybe we should eliminate fines and go right to points and/or suspensions? Sure that would make all real happy

Sounds like you've been a big contributor. What grab ass job line of work are you in? Ever knock on doors and tell family that their loved one is dead? Till then STFU. I worked the road for my whole career, so I couldn't avoid not citing people. Never was the Station Commander's boy....because I didn't write much. I used to give 20 mph over the speed limit on secondary roads. At some point you have to put pen to paper. Maybe we should eliminate fines and go right to points and/or suspensions? Sure that would make all real happy

Last ticket was about a decade ago, cell phone ticket when I didn't even have a phone in the car. Prior to that was a 61 in a 55 on 95 in Connecticut. Got to attend a state run safe driving course for those two tickets in calendar year. Only two tickets I've ever gotten. I did "match the description of an armed bank robber" once, which got my car searched without a warrant by Philly's finest.

Tickets by and large are about revenue for the state/city/municipality not safety. Speed traps and artificially low speed limits wouldn't be so prevalent otherwise. PA took in 173 million in fines, court fees etc from tickets in 2013.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
130 when I was 17 in 1993 Plymouth Sundance on the Turnpike between Scranton and Clarks Summit. Car was a V6 but started to shake violently at 125 so had to slow down.

185 on Autobahn in 2004 in 2001 BMW M5. I got passed by one motorcycle…….

Reactions: PSUfiji
It's really hard to say. When you're chasing someone at real high speeds it puts alot of the rest of the motoring public at risk too. Hopefully traffic is scarce. Being polite, honest, and probably humorous were always big factors in what I issued to the offender. I pulled over a girl, (PSU Grad), once heading eastbound on I-80 and asked her where she was going so fast.......she says she is headed to a bachelorette party on Long island, and was running a little late. I started walked back to the car to issue her a Non-Point pinch when she gets out of her car and yells, "Trooper......come look at this". I walk back towards her car as she pulling out this big sheet cake shaped like a big cock and balls....flesh colored icing ta Boot! I'm dying laughing on the side of the road!!! Tell her to get the hell out of here and slow down.
I've heard of women flashing cleavage and more or crying to get out of a ticket. I've never heard of a woman showing a cop her big cock and balls to get out of a ticket.

I drove about 120 in my dad's old 72 Galaxie with a 400 police interceptor when I was 17. It was down a straight back road in Montgomery County. I hit a hump that usually didn't matter, got air and spun around a number of times. Luckily I went straight down the road. I hardly ever go very fast since then. Still scares me to think about it.

About 15 years ago, I was being driven on the Autobahn to the airport in Bremen. We were going pretty fast and I glanced over at the speedometer and it was at 245 (km). Some mental arithmetic and I realized we going about 145 mph. The driver wanted to work on his English, so kept talking and looking over at me. It was scary and continued until I asked him to slow down.
Quite an experience, but not one I would like to repeat.

If you have ever done 100 mph or greater on a motorcycle you know that the feeling of danger is much greater than doing 120+ mph in a car. So for me that was the "fastest" I have gone and the fastest I want to go...............
Yep. At some point they would just being out a shop vac to clean you off the road.

• Haha
G
I've heard of women flashing cleavage and more or crying to get out of a ticket. I've never heard of a woman showing a cop her big cock and balls to get out of a ticket.
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE IT CAKE LA!!! Got some good cleavage stories too......

• Haha
I know what I know, you know what you know- I've been riding for over 50 years.

Yep, I was riding over 50 years ago. Prefer a safer mode of transportation at this point.
I think you two are arguing different points and are both right. Bikes (especially modern sport bikes) are more stable at higher speeds to a point. It's also true that at those speeds if you hit something, your pretty much toast. And you have much less reaction time to avoid anything on the road.

25 years old driving a Honda 500 Intercepter. At 125 mph I backing off the throttle. Was driving on a small 2 lane highway (522) in western Snyder County PA.

When I was young and foolish I raced a 1966 Jaguar XKE on the Bucksutem Road in New Jersey. I was driving a 1966 Corvette Stingray fastback with a 427/450. XKE was pulling away from me when I hit 140mph and the front end started to float. No idea how fast the XKE was going but I chickened out at 140. Took about 45 minutes before my right leg stopped violently shaking. Had I wrecked at that speed that fiberglass vett would have exploded like a bag of potato chips. Young and stupid is a bad combination.

What was the old saying about Vettes? Wrap your ass in fiberglass.

As a driver 120 mph.
Age-17 yrs old
Car- 1973 Plymouth Fury

As a passenger 125 mph.
Age-19 yrs old
Car- 1971 Camaro

When I was 21 a friend took me for a ride on his new Suzuki 750. This nutcase gets on Rt. 1 and opens it up and gets the bike up to 90 mph while I’m holding on for dear life. I remember being very angry at him when I got off that bike.

Last edited:
137 in a 2004 BMW 745i on the airport bypass in Denver about 10 years ago, so 50 years old. Passed a car and realized how slow it seemed to be going (it was either a 65 or 75 mph zone). Slowed down after that. I still drive that car, and it rides like a dream at 80- 100, but I rarely get over 80 any more.

CB750 motorcycle frame
iu

modern sportbike frame
(without engine, which acts as a stressed member)

s-l400.jpg

Then compare spoked wheels, narrow bias ply tires, and drum brakes to today's ad you start to understand the difference.

But what really matters is how good the rider is. Most accidents are either young guys who can't ride or older guys who "rode one" 30 years ago and get on one 30 years later believing that they actually know how to ride.

ADVERTISEMENT