ADVERTISEMENT

What's it like to be a Pitt fan today?

This guy is not shallow or immature. As I alluded earlier, we are like brothers. It's good natured banter, nothing more. I have no problem with it. I do regret bringing it up.
Save your breath as you explained it clear enough. Your post was well intentioned but fell on deaf ears. SMH.

Reactions: fairgambit
There was a video from Wed where he was talking along the lines of that they close the deal with about 80% of the recruits that actually visit.

Now that’s fantasy football at it’s best![/QUOTE
That actually is fantasy. This class is....well underwhelming to say the least

What's it like to be a Pitt fan today?

I had lunch with one today I'll tell you what he said. He is a good friend, with a Pitt undergrad & law school degree, and is a 10 year Pitt football season ticket holder. While he would have preferred celebrating a top 20 ranking, he is not suicidal, or even depressed. He told me Rivals has Pitt ranked in the top 40. (I checked and it's 36th). He mentioned, with pride, that Pitt is ranked ahead of 8 BigTen teams, including Wisconsin. He believes they are making progress (he loves the 4 star DC running back) and can compete in the ACC Coastal with the kids they are getting. He loves his school and has no intention of giving up his seats. He also gently reminded me that he drives a better car than I do (his S-Class Benz is in the shop today for state inspection). He has a beautiful wife (mine is prettier, but his is younger) and 2 great kids. His life is good. So is mine.

I come here very infrequently now, but had a few extra minutes so checked in here. When I saw this OP, I thought here we go again. But this post is refreshing, in that I have several very good friends that are PSU fans. We argue, make fun of each other (but don't hit below the belt), and laugh. We all live well, and enjoy life, without the insecurity of the hateful, rival fans. Both schools and athletic programs are what they are. They have different characteristics, and cultures. Fans on both sides are obsessed, due to loyalty and pride. We should all get that. I and my daughters and family are happy and prosperous, and it isn't affected by wins or losses by the football teams. Yeah, we all want to win every game, but there is a bigger picture. We will continue to enjoy the games, and the camaraderie of our family and friends, including the PSU ones. Some posters (both boards) can be satisfied getting off on demeaning the other, but mutual respect for the other fans, such as yourself, is quite refreshing.

I come here very infrequently now, but had a few extra minutes so checked in here. When I saw this OP, I thought here we go again. But this post is refreshing, in that I have several very good friends that are PSU fans. We argue, make fun of each other (but don't hit below the belt), and laugh. We all live well, and enjoy life, without the insecurity of the hateful, rival fans. Both schools and athletic programs are what they are. They have different characteristics, and cultures. Fans on both sides are obsessed, due to loyalty and pride. We should all get that. I and my daughters and family are happy and prosperous, and it isn't affected by wins or losses by the football teams. Yeah, we all want to win every game, but there is a bigger picture. We will continue to enjoy the games, and the camaraderie of our family and friends, including the PSU ones. Some posters (both boards) can be satisfied getting off on demeaning the other, but mutual respect for the other fans, such as yourself, is quite refreshing.
Good post. Now shut up and get the he!! outta here!!! ;)

Pitt’s class wasn’t that bad. Zubovich will be a good OL, Morgan is a nice DE, the RB is ok but overrated, I think the DE they got from Clearwater has potential. But there are quite a few guys that I wouldn’t expect to ever contribute at the FBS level.

Pitt’s class wasn’t that bad. Zubovich will be a good OL, Morgan is a nice DE, the RB is ok but overrated, I think the DE they got from Clearwater has potential. But there are quite a few guys that I wouldn’t expect to ever contribute at the FBS level.
There has to a back story with the RB - makes no sense to decommitt from USC and be down to Pitt and 'Cuse.

Reactions: marshall23
Today is like every day for a pitt athletic supporter. Delude yourself about past and future pitt success, lie about Joe and Penn State on the interwebs, eat shit sandwiches in between.

Reactions: john4psu
There has to a back story with the RB - makes no sense to decommitt from USC and be down to Pitt and 'Cuse.[/QUOTE

Just a guess.....but maybe he saw way too much competition out west and thought he could/would start right away at Pitt and/or Syracuse.

Good post. Now shut up and get the he!! outta here!!! ;)

Thanks, lol.
There has to a back story with the RB - makes no sense to decommitt from USC and be down to Pitt and 'Cuse.

When he decommitted from USC, he said he wanted to be closer to home. Don't know if other reasons, but he has excellent reviews, including receiving and pass blocking.

Well said. I've mentioned a number of times on this Board that many of my best friends are Pitt grads. My wife is a Pitt alum and there is no better woman on this earth. I don't mind good natured banter, but it often gets out of hand on both sides. Mutual respect makes the wins sweeter and the losses easier to take. Unfortunately that appears to be a minority view on both boards. With the obvious exception of when we play each other, good luck to the Panthers and all the best to you and your family.

Reactions: Punxsyphil
Well said. I've mentioned a number of times on this Board that many of my best friends are Pitt grads. My wife is a Pitt alum and there is no better woman on this earth. I don't mind good natured banter, but it often gets out of hand on both sides. Mutual respect makes the wins sweeter and the losses easier to take. Unfortunately that appears to be a minority view on both boards. With the obvious exception of when we play each other, good luck to the Panthers and all the best to you and your family.

Thanks, same to you. FWIW, that goes for other schools, too. Another good friend that is a Buckeye fan, will go to games with me once in awhile, and party with us at our tailgate. Life is too short to hate over football.

Lots of speculation about grades/qualifying, and wanting to actually play DB and not RB. We'll see how it all plays out, but it's huge step down from being a USC running back recruit, to wind up choosing between Pitt and Cuse. Not even Maryland seemed to be going after him all that hard.

Last edited:
Today is like every day for a pitt athletic supporter. Delude yourself about past and future pitt success, lie about Joe and Penn State on the interwebs, eat shit sandwiches in between.

30127858.jpg

Reactions: Hotshoe
In all honesty, Peak, who is a damn disgrace, allows that sh$t to go on and on. It's the same lies every day. Many days their board has more anti PSU posts than Pitt posts. It's actually sunken to a new low. Obviously, I visit a lot of boards, their's is by far the worst, and most ignorant board I've ever visited. The sad part is, by doing nothing, Peak promotes that crap.

Reactions: john4psu
I don't know. What''s it like to be totally obsessed with Pitt and their fans?

I can speak only for myself. Up until about 2 years ago, I didn't know The Lair existed. I actually rooted for Pitt for almost every game televised (when they were not playing PSU). I stumbled over to The Lair one day to see the dialog leading up to our 1st game.......I have seen a lot, heard a lot and experienced a great deal in my 65 years(to that point), but I was astounded at the vitriol, ignorance and outright lies that are endemic on that site.
Since then, I have visited on a regular basis to amuse myself with their benighted, cretinous and moronic views.
It is a source of entertainment and amusement that I look forward to on a daily basis. They never cease to live down to my expectations.
I still want to believe that The Lair represents a very small percentage of Pitt fans. As such, we (I) should always refer to them as such and not "Pitt fans" in general.
As with any thread, we can choose to avoid reading or contributing if the topic is not interesting to our tastes.

In all honesty, Peak, who is a damn disgrace, allows that sh$t to go on and on. It's the same lies every day. Many days their board has more anti PSU posts than Pitt posts. It's actually sunken to a new low. Obviously, I visit a lot of boards, their's is by far the worst, and most ignorant board I've ever visited. The sad part is, by doing nothing, Peak promotes that crap.
Peak is the guy who wrote a book about a 5-7 Pitt season as if it was an epic run to a championship. He expected Pitt fans to buy it. The funny thing was many Pitt fans on their message board gave him crap about the book yet he still tried to convince them it was a great story with them beating West Virginia and all. It shows what a douche Peak is.

Thanks, same to you. FWIW, that goes for other schools, too. Another good friend that is a Buckeye fan, will go to games with me once in awhile, and party with us at our tailgate. Life is too short to hate over football.
You want to explain this post to everyone?

GT74 Senior
Yep. They turned their back on him despite his loyalty to the university and program. Because he reported the incident, he was considered a liar, and brought trouble for the program, and eventually Paterno. They easily believe anyone denying the knowledge of Sandusky's sins or cover up, but ostracize the many who said otherwise. You hear more sympathy for Paterno than you do the victims. Sad.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/mike-mcqueary.85624/#post-1404865

Reactions: Madsol
I can speak only for myself. Up until about 2 years ago, I didn't know The Lair existed. I actually rooted for Pitt for almost every game televised (when they were not playing PSU). I stumbled over to The Lair one day to see the dialog leading up to our 1st game.......I have seen a lot, heard a lot and experienced a great deal in my 65 years(to that point), but I was astounded at the vitriol, ignorance and outright lies that are endemic on that site.
Since then, I have visited on a regular basis to amuse myself with their benighted, cretinous and moronic views.
It is a source of entertainment and amusement that I look forward to on a daily basis. They never cease to live down to my expectations.
I still want to believe that The Lair represents a very small percentage of Pitt fans. As such, we (I) should always refer to them as such and not "Pitt fans" in general.
As with any thread, we can choose to avoid reading or contributing if the topic is not interesting to our tastes.

That's all well & good. Why do you need a message board to tell you that there are stupid people in the world? Is there not enough evidence in daily life?

If the Pitt board is so obsessed with Penn State, what does it say about you and others who constantly post about Pitt on a Penn State board? It shows the obsession is just the same.

That's all well & good. Why do you need a message board to tell you that there are stupid people in the world? Is there not enough evidence in daily life?

If the Pitt board is so obsessed with Penn State, what does it say about you and others who constantly post about Pitt on a Penn State board? It shows the obsession is just the same.
Call it what you like. What you think doesn't concern me. I'm having fun with it.

Call it what you like. What you think doesn't concern me. I'm having fun with it.
Yes, that's what Pennsy and a few others don't get. The VAST majority of PSU supporters that post about Pitt are having fun by making fun of them. It does show our arrogance, but WTH, it's fun!

Technically he might be right because a vast majority of top recruits would never waste their time visiting in the first place.
The closest top recruits get to Pitt when they are driving through Pittsburgh on their way to University Park

Yes, that's what Pennsy and a few others don't get. The VAST majority of PSU supporters that post about Pitt are having fun by making fun of them. It does show our arrogance, but WTH, it's fun!
It is hilarious over there. One moron tries to out do the other. One poster talks about "systemic" institutional child rape". Then goes on to intimate that Joe virtually held "clinics" on how to keep this a secret. If their lives depended on passing a test based on facts of the case, they would all be corpses.

You want to explain this post to everyone?

GT74 Senior

Yep. They turned their back on him despite his loyalty to the university and program. Because he reported the incident, he was considered a liar, and brought trouble for the program, and eventually Paterno. They easily believe anyone denying the knowledge of Sandusky's sins or cover up, but ostracize the many who said otherwise. You hear more sympathy for Paterno than you do the victims. Sad.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/mike-mcqueary.85624/#post-1404865
8c8.gif

Probably something like this

1zbawcy.jpg

91fgjl.jpg
This may actually be a good marketing angle for lowly Pitt. Come to a game - plenty elbow room. Get a tan, curl up with a good book, catch some zzzz's...

Last edited:
This may actually be a good marketing angle for lowly Pitt. Come to a game - plenty elbow room. Get a tan, catch some zzzz's...
I don't know if the program still exists.....but decades ago people living in rural areas would host kids from the inner city for a few weeks and allow them to enjoy "open spaces" in the summer weeks. I think they were called "fresh air" kids. Pitt should promote "Fresh Air Fans."

Lots of speculation about grades/qualifying, and wanting to actually play DB and not RB. We'll see how it all plays out, but it's huge step down from being a USB running back recruit, to wind up choosing between Pitt and Cuse. Not even Maryland seemed to be going after him all that hard.
It’s probably grades which is why only Pitt and Cuse were left...not too concerned with grades if it’s a three star.

Sure. That was two years ago, and I did feel sorry for MM, and how he ended up. I also thought many PSU fans bypassed the victims when defending their school and that was sad. I think it is sad what has happened at Mich St too. But, PSU has made amends and their admin has paid the price. My friends and I have had this discussion way back. We understood each other's opinions and are over it. It has nothing to do with not hating PSU fans. I respect them and the university. I will enjoy their camaraderie, and hope that despite any conflicts in opinion, we will have mutual respect for each other.

So long as Peak allows the trash on the Lair to continue to smolder, instead of taking it out and putting into the dumpster, there's little or no chance for mutual respect. This is the approach he is taking, and it is the result he is receiving.

I think the disgust here with all things Pitt stems from all of the crap on the Lair. 5 years ago, before JS, the attitude here was somewhat negative towards Pitt, but nowhere near as virulent as it is today. I put myself into the category of fan that has had my attitude changed towards Pitt drastically thanks to the Lair. I admit it, and there is no question about my animosity. Peak himself has helped to create this festering wound, and he has shown no interest in cleaning it up and putting a bandage on it. He is a huge, huge part of the problem. The bullshit that is allowed to be posted and remain on the Lair is quoted and digested on numerous PSU boards, not just here. That crap is like a virus that is allowed to spread unchecked. If Peak had an ounce of self-respect he'd clean it up, and I would bet that in 6 months you'd see a significant change in the vitriol here as well. But he won't, and it won't.

On the pay board, they allow that imbecile to participate in supposedly civil question and answer sessions before the game with us, and the mods refuse to allow him to answer for his actions. They expect everyone to treat him with a dignity that he doesn't deserve. Fair enough, it's their job and their decision, but I quickly stopped giving them my money after that.

Some of my best friends are WVU fans...I’m sure you have all your teeth. I just know many WVU fans have unrealistic expectations. They actually think their football team should be playing for national championships every year and they don’t realize the state has almost no D-1 athletes and many big time athletes coming out of high school don’t want to go to WVU. I understand people from WV love their state, but there still is a mindset about the state from people who don’t live there which works against them in recruiting and they can’t accept that...they blame the coach. Then throw in the years they dominated the Big East (after the best teams left the conference) and suddenly they think they’re world beaters.
Pitt math

ADVERTISEMENT