ADVERTISEMENT

What would be your ideal schedule?

regularfan

Jan 22, 2019
While waiting for the schedule to come out it looks like we have a very preliminary shell of what it will be: 9 dual meets total (quad, tri, 4 solo duals)

I was just curious everybody's opinions on what your ideal schedule would look like and which 4 schools you could go without them seeing. Below is mine but I am just looking forward to the season!

Duals (4): Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State (I feel like these (plus PSU) are the strongest five teams and I would love to see them get their own weekend which gives them a greater chance of being on BTN.

Quad (3 other teams): Minnesota (Kerkvliet vs. Steveson as the headliner), Northwestern (seem to have some younger talent that I would be interested to see), Illinois (not a lot of star power but seem to have a balanced roster with 9 kids inside wrestlestat top 36)

Tri (2 others): Rutgers (Hope Lee wrestles but if not this dual losses a lot of its luster with Rivera), Maryland (supposedly have a decent first recruiting class for new coach plus they are within the same region for traveling purposes)

Off Schedule in 2021 (4): Michigan State (Foley/Howard & Caffey/Beard just not enough to make this worth it to me), Wisconsin (just missing too many pieces this year), Purdue (top 10 kids at 125 and 157 but a little less depth than Illinois on paper it seems), Indiana (highest ranked kid is Hudkins at 125)

While waiting for the schedule to come out it looks like we have a very preliminary shell of what it will be: 9 dual meets total (quad, tri, 4 solo duals)

I was just curious everybody's opinions on what your ideal schedule would look like and which 4 schools you could go without them seeing. Below is mine but I am just looking forward to the season!

Duals (4): Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State (I feel like these (plus PSU) are the strongest five teams and I would love to see them get their own weekend which gives them a greater chance of being on BTN.

Quad (3 other teams): Minnesota (Kerkvliet vs. Steveson as the headliner), Northwestern (seem to have some younger talent that I would be interested to see), Illinois (not a lot of star power but seem to have a balanced roster with 9 kids inside wrestlestat top 36)

Tri (2 others): Rutgers (Hope Lee wrestles but if not this dual losses a lot of its luster with Rivera), Maryland (supposedly have a decent first recruiting class for new coach plus they are within the same region for traveling purposes)

Off Schedule in 2021 (4): Michigan State (Foley/Howard & Caffey/Beard just not enough to make this worth it to me), Wisconsin (just missing too many pieces this year), Purdue (top 10 kids at 125 and 157 but a little less depth than Illinois on paper it seems), Indiana (highest ranked kid is Hudkins at 125)

I expect the BIG will stay with the rotation as much as possible. With quad and tri meets it won't be exact from a home and away standpoint. However, based on the BIG rotation since MD & Rutgers joined this season we should wrestle Indiana, UM, MSU, Purdue, MD, Minny, Rutgers, tOSU, and Iowa.

Reactions: regularfan
Am hoping that some tri & quad meets will continue post pandemic as a way to maximize competition dates. A relatively easy way to throw a bone to lesser programs and include older, regional opponent.
My hope too. The coaches are interested in more conference duals, and stealing a non-conference match or tournament to make that happen doesn't help grow the sport. I'd be surprised if tri- and quad-meets weren't on the table pre-pandemic at some point...and that we'll see it in the future. Must balance it with staying fresh and peaking at NCAA's.

Last edited:
My ideal schedule is any schedule that is played thru to completion...

...and God willing, with an entire roster of healthy wrestlers. And healthy wrestlers for all other teams as well

Reactions: dunkej01
ADVERTISEMENT