ADVERTISEMENT

What win loss record defines a successful season for Franklin this year?

Once he has lost fan support his life will be an utter hell. He has shown he is incapable of handling that kind of pressure. When the majority of fans lose confidence in him he will be gone. That isn't going to take 10 years, he is closer to that than he realizes.

Great point, Franklin is a momentum guy all the way, loves the love, loves the good feels. You see it in his demeanor after losses(always bet ATS against PSU after a loss under Franklin, best bet in sports), he sullies around, becomes noticeably disconnected and awkward on the sidelines. The Covid year was a special kind of self loathing. Yes, I understood his concerns, especially considering his daughters immune issues, but just take the year off then? He was nothing that entire season and is paid way too much for that. He loves positive press, he is defensive about anything negative and will underscore excuses( MSU 2017 rain storm). If this thing turns on him and it's getting close, he will not be able to deal with toiling around in an empty statement reading press clippings about how bad the program has become under his stewardship. He will negotiate a buyout, do the TV a bit, and end up in some mid tier Pac 10 school(arizona ala Kevin Sumlin).

Great point, Franklin is a momentum guy all the way, loves the love, loves the good feels. You see it in his demeanor after losses(always bet ATS against PSU after a loss under Franklin, best bet in sports), he sullies around, becomes noticeably disconnected and awkward on the sidelines. The Covid year was a special kind of self loathing. Yes, I understood his concerns, especially considering his daughters immune issues, but just take the year off then? He was nothing that entire season and is paid way too much for that. He loves positive press, he is defensive about anything negative and will underscore excuses( MSU 2017 rain storm). If this thing turns on him and it's getting close, he will not be able to deal with toiling around in an empty statement reading press clippings about how bad the program has become under his stewardship. He will negotiate a buyout, do the TV a bit, and end up in some mid tier Pac 10 school(arizona ala Kevin Sumlin).
That is a fairly accurate picture of how I see things playing out. Now, we could luck up and have things go in a different direction but I just don't see that happening.

He will be gone after 6-6 this year. HOPEFULLY.
I don't think 6-6 would turn the vast majority of remaining supporters required to make it happen this year. When the die-hard Franklin fanboys start grumbling it might take another year or two to start the ball rolling. Once it does it will kick his ass four ways to Sunday and he will be gone.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
Once he has lost fan support his life will be an utter hell. He has shown he is incapable of handling that kind of pressure. When the majority of fans lose confidence in him he will be gone. That isn't going to take 10 years, he is closer to that than he realizes.
"Wishin and hopin and plannin and schemin....."
His life will be an utter hell LOL
He'll purchase 7 million dollars worth of analgesics......

This is IT folks, my ALL TIME FAVORITE LOL...
This is where everyone weighs in, then we come back at the end of the year and all the coach worshippers like oldclown Marshall WALK IT BACK about what they said pre season 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last year the coach worshippers had to hem and haw and take back their 9-3s that were in writing to basically lie and claim 7-6 was just fine lol...

I'll go first...here it is...Franklin needs 9-4 to call this a success. ANYTHING LESS and he needs to go. Remember that 7-6 means 18-17 while 8-5 means 19-16 and neither one of those will cut it.

9-4. Period. No walking it back. That's what he needs.
I think 10-3/9-3 with no bad losses would be acceptable. Without doing a lot of analysis I would expect losses to Auburn, Ohio State, and Michigan. I could understand losses to Purdue and MSU. That would be bad if we lost all 5, but if it looked like we were on the right trajectory and we ended up 8-5 with the stage set for Allar at QB then it wouldn't necessarily be a complete failure. I think it would depend on what the game-day coaching looks like. That's Franklin's biggest downfall.

Reactions: Delcolion915
I think 10-3/9-3 with no bad losses would be acceptable. Without doing a lot of analysis I would expect losses to Auburn, Ohio State, and Michigan. I could understand losses to Purdue and MSU. That would be bad if we lost all 5, but if it looked like we were on the right trajectory and we ended up 8-5 with the stage set for Allar at QB then it wouldn't necessarily be a complete failure. I think it would depend on what the game-day coaching looks like. That's Franklin's biggest downfall.
8-5 isn't good enough. Not in year NINE. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.

I don't think 6-6 would turn the vast majority of remaining supporters required to make it happen this year. When the die-hard Franklin fanboys start grumbling it might take another year or two to start the ball rolling. Once it does it will kick his ass four ways to Sunday and he will be gone.
6-6 equals 17-17 and this new AD won't stand for it.

I'll go with 10-3. Losses in regular season to OSU, Mich, and one of MSU or Auburn. Hopefully mostly competetive losses. Win the bowl game, which would likely be a NYD game.

Reality is likely losses to OSU, Mich, Auburn, and MSU. Wouldn't be shocked to see a Purdue loss. Tough opener on the road. And the annual loss to a team like Illinois. With all the bowl game opt outs for whatever toilet bowl they get selected for, and another likely loss is in the books. 7-6 or 6-7. Time to right the ship Jimmy and prove all the doubters wrong.

I don't understand all the disrespect to coach Paterno by the young set. Joe Paterno was superior in coaching to JF when they were the same age.

Reactions: Delcolion915
I'll go with 10-3. Losses in regular season to OSU, Mich, and one of MSU or Auburn. Hopefully mostly competetive losses. Win the bowl game, which would likely be a NYD game.

Reality is likely losses to OSU, Mich, Auburn, and MSU. Wouldn't be shocked to see a Purdue loss. Tough opener on the road. And the annual loss to a team like Illinois. With all the bowl game opt outs for whatever toilet bowl they get selected for, and another likely loss is in the books. 7-6 or 6-7. Time to right the ship Jimmy and prove all the doubters wrong.
Start a go fund me for70 million....

Reactions: IANit
This is where everyone weighs in, then we come back at the end of the year and all the coach worshippers like oldclown Marshall WALK IT BACK about what they said pre season 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last year the coach worshippers had to hem and haw and take back their 9-3s that were in writing to basically lie and claim 7-6 was just fine lol...

I'll go first...here it is...Franklin needs 9-4 to call this a success. ANYTHING LESS and he needs to go. Remember that 7-6 means 18-17 while 8-5 means 19-16 and neither one of those will cut it.

wins/losses matter of course, but most importantly is how well the O line and D line perform. If we don't block better and tackle better, then we'd better lock the barn door.

I missed where Franklin had 3 undefeated seasons in his first 8, could you provide a link?
But 8-5 isn’t good enough in year 9….so how about in year 11, or 14, or 18, or 19, or 22, or 23, or 24, or 27, or 35, or 37, or 38, or 45? That was my point, but you knew that.

Paterno has a much better won loss record than Franklin and its hilarious that you coach worshippers have stooped to disparaging his name to defend a fraud.
Calling out inconsistencies in arguments is not disparaging anyone’s name.

I don't understand all the disrespect to coach Paterno by the young set. Joe Paterno was superior in coaching to JF when they were the same age.
Please point out the disrespect to Paterno….I don’t see any. Looking at his coaching results realistically and not in some sort of warped reality is not disrespect. He was a great coach but he had quite a few underperforming seasons especially if you judge him the way many on here judge Franklin.

But 8-5 isn’t good enough in year 9….so how about in year 11, or 14, or 18, or 19, or 22, or 23, or 24, or 27, or 35, or 37, or 38, or 45? That was my point, but you knew that.
To summarize, you can't provide a link because it was a nonsense comparison.

Winning buys time, undefeated seasons do the same. Infinite time in Paterno's case which is another can of worms. Point is, an exceptional season (no losses or an NC) will be good for a few years/mulligans. Franklin has had 1 close-to-exceptional season and time has expired on that.

He has not been in the same universe as "successful" over the last 2 years. Yet you still take any critical comment as a personal insult, regardless of how valid. To the point of making absurd rationalizations that blame everyone except the head coach.

You aren't responsible for him being a mediocre coach, no one is blaming you for that. Just don't expect all fans to grant infinite mulligans like you do.

8-5 isn't good enough. Not in year NINE. STOP MAKING EXCUSES.
Paterno was 7-5 in year 11 and had us playing for a title two years later. I'd be fine with 8-5 and CFP in the next couple of years rather than 2 or 3 9-3 years.

To summarize, you can't provide a link because it was a nonsense comparison.

Winning buys time, undefeated seasons do the same. Infinite time in Paterno's case which is another can of worms. Point is, an exceptional season (no losses or an NC) will be good for a few years/mulligans. Franklin has had 1 close-to-exceptional season and time has expired on that.

He has not been in the same universe as "successful" over the last 2 years. Yet you still take any critical comment as a personal insult, regardless of how valid. To the point of making absurd rationalizations that blame everyone except the head coach.

You aren't responsible for him being a mediocre coach, no one is blaming you for that. Just don't expect all fans to grant infinite mulligans like you do.
He’s had more than one close to exceptional season and those seasons have bought him zero mulligans from guys like you. It’s always “what has he done for me lately” which is why I say it’s a good thing you guys didn’t hold Paterno to the same standards. And just because you think he’s a mediocre coach doesn’t make him one.

Reactions: marshall23
He’s had more than one close to exceptional season and those seasons have bought him zero mulligans from guys like you. It’s always “what has he done for me lately” which is why I say it’s a good thing you guys didn’t hold Paterno to the same standards. And just because you think he’s a mediocre coach doesn’t make him one.
He speaks for the esteemed peanut gallery. Funny that losers like Dildolion insist that the team they allege they root for should win.

Last edited:
Owning the worst start ever in program history used all the mulligans he may have accumulated up to that point. Then he follows up with the comedy of errors that was last season. And after that you are just enamored with the guy, he can do no wrong.

Great coaches put their teams in the best position possible to win. Jimmah has failed to do that because he is not a great coach. He is mediocre.

Reactions: ram2020
Joe's last 7 seasons .693 win % 3 11 win seasons 3 top 10 finishes
Rip's last 7 seasons .670 win %
BOB ..625%
CJF last 7 seasons .663 win % 3 11 win seasons 3 top 10 finishes

NNNNNCAC....."WE DESERVE BETTER"

Owning the worst start ever in program history used all the mulligans he may have accumulated up to that point. Then he follows up with the comedy of errors that was last season. And after that you are just enamored with the guy, he can do no wrong.

Great coaches put their teams in the best position possible to win. Jimmah has failed to do that because he is not a great coach. He is mediocre.
Never said he could do no wrong….of course for many on here, he can do no right. I just think I would listen to him before Joe the Drywaller on this board….I know, how can that be with all the coaching expertise sitting at home typing on a message board instead of making millions coaching? And Franklin’s teams have been in a position to win a huge percentage of the time, but if you blame the coach for every poor play then no coach will ever live up to your expectations.

Reactions: marshall23

I'll consider CJF a success if he goes 3-0 vs Auburn, UM, and tOSU even if we lose all the others.

Reactions: crm114psu
Never said he could do no wrong….of course for many on here, he can do no right. I just think I would listen to him before Joe the Drywaller on this board….I know, how can that be with all the coaching expertise sitting at home typing on a message board instead of making millions coaching? And Franklin’s teams have been in a position to win a huge percentage of the time, but if you blame the coach for every poor play then no coach will ever live up to your expectations.
In many cases, "Joe the Drywaller" isn't trying to demonstrate his coaching expertise, he is trying to have a civil discussion about events and express opinions in a respectful manner. Yet you and your buddies are hell-bent to ruin any and all civil discussion, slinging insults and attacking anyone that doesn't buy in to your point of view.

Why was there no viable backup QB for the Iowa game? You think him without any fault for that? You are pleased with how he was prepared for Illinois? Some of those guys played their asses off, but you want to hang it all on them?

And just stop with the idiotic response "all the coaching expertise" crap. Pretty much 99.999999% of discussions here could fall into the category of "poster has never experienced.....".

In many cases, "Joe the Drywaller" isn't trying to demonstrate his coaching expertise, he is trying to have a civil discussion about events and express opinions in a respectful manner. Yet you and your buddies are hell-bent to ruin any and all civil discussion, slinging insults and attacking anyone that doesn't buy in to your point of view.

Why was there no viable backup QB for the Iowa game? You think him without any fault for that? You are pleased with how he was prepared for Illinois? Some of those guys played their asses off, but you want to hang it all on them?

And just stop with the idiotic response "all the coaching expertise" crap. Pretty much 99.999999% of discussions here could fall into the category of "poster has never experienced.....".
POST OF THE YEAR

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
And if rather you blame the players for every poor play, then no player could ever live up to the expectations of the legendary James Franklin.

See how this works AWS? If ultimate success evades us, is it the coach or merely the players the coach recruits? Hard to tell.

Reactions: crm114psu
And if rather you blame the players for every poor play, then no player could ever live up to the expectations of the legendary James Franklin.

See how this works AWS? If ultimate success evades us, is it the coach or merely the players the coach recruits? Hard to tell.
Not hard to tell for some. Any reason other than the legendary James Franklin is the root cause.

Not hard to tell for some. Any reason other than the legendary James Franklin is the root cause.
Wonder if they feel strongly about Ricky Rahne one way or the other....just for fun, they might out themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT