ADVERTISEMENT

What was your high school's best sport? And if you know what is it today?

Then- baseball

Now- girls and boys basketball

Distance- 430 miles

Yeah, I kinda figured as much, which is so sad. So much potential going straight to hell.

In happier news, I remember Tony Hardy went Elvis in the Big 33 game in like '94 or '95. Sam Bryant played at Pitt and James hung around for a while in the NFL and CFL.

A lot of great players came through the Castle on the Hill.

Tony was the Big33 MVP in 1992. I was the other starting WR at RHS at that time although much less talented obviously.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Then: Boys soccer. They were s juggernaut, winning several state titles including an amazing group in the late 70s/early 80s when my brother was there. In fact, that team produced one player that won the Hermann Award (soccer Heisman) one year and a guy that was the runner-up the next year. Pretty amazing.
Now: I would find it hard to believe it is anything other than soccer, though I have only been back once in the last 20 years.
Distance: Approximately 700 miles.

What was your high school's best sport when you were in high school? Baseball

And if you know, what is it today? Boys basketball

and lastly, how far away do you live now from your high school? 8 miles

Went to Sullivan County, HS

800px-Map_of_Pennsylvania_highlighting_Sullivan_County.svg.png

Cross Country and Soccer were sort of good when I went there...Now the Boys and Girls basketball teams have been winning conference titles left and right. Night and day different.

I lived 2 blocks away from the school, but I was only 1 of 4 kids who walked. We had kids on buses for almost an hour, good ole' Sullivan County, PA.

One red light, one high school with
enrollment that has steadily declined for 25 years down to around 40 a year now... from 75 when I graduated in 2005.

Sports have never been better up there... Both girls and boys basketball have been killing it for the last 10 years. The economy on the other hand, not so much...

...Unless you're connected with Natural Gas.

1) Football
2) Nothing...it closed about 4 years ago
3) 5,756 miles...from Monterey to Mannheim American High School in Germany

My alma mater had 22 State Titles. If my memory serves me right 14 were Group 1 and 8 were in Group 2. During that era 50's, 60's and 70's if you won a Group 1 State Title you played a Group 2 schedule the very next year. Due to a big influx of Asian, Indian and Hasidic Jews we don't have enough kids to man a team anymore and they will not allow us to consolidate a neighboring town. This year we actually had to start a 5' 9" girl at left Guard. Next year may be the last year we have football program.

That was Ron or Rick Krick...correct? I went to Wyo and that picture was prominent in the West Reading Elementary Gym.

As a Wyo grad, we were elite in boys soccer when I was there. 1 state title and 1 state runner up. Football has always been good and peaked a few years ago.

In girls sports, XC had a nice run (pardon the pun), but now it’s Tennis.

Live approx 100 miles away.

In '59, '60 and '61 we had this guy, and three consecutive state championships. My senior year, D3 B-ball champs .. '66 ' ..
Now merged with Wyomissing Area. Best sport probably tennis, now live ~ 30 miles away.
376064_2750946945656_1120522272_n_zpsj8rlm7hp.jpg

Central Dauphin- Wrestling

3,000+
also Central Dauphin, wrestling - Bob Herr I think one our first state title, but now would say everything, won state titles in about 8 sports in the last 8 years- with Wrestling still on top
4 miles

Swimming, 27 National Titles, 87 National Records, 58 Olympians, about 400 miles from home, and my son swam there too. Crap, I think I just dropped something...

What was your high school's best sport when you were in high school? Baseball

And if you know, what is it today? Boys basketball

and lastly, how far away do you live now from your high school? 8 miles

Then: football and track

Now: squash and bowling

Distance: 115 miles

ADVERTISEMENT