ADVERTISEMENT

What was your high school's best sport? And if you know what is it today?

Football tied with wrestling (I was a wrestler). Football team lost one game my junior year to eventual state champs in the big school division by a blocked punt for a TD in the last couple of minutes of a then 0-0 tie game. At that time only 4 teams went to the playoffs, one from each geographic quarter of the state. The team we lost to won the state championship 49-2. Our team was likely the second best team in the state that year with 2 college Div. I four year starters on the roster.

Our wrestling team had one state runner up and several others who made it deep into the state championship rounds my senior year. When I was in junior high, the best team was basketball and the teams went pretty far into the playoffs. However, our baseball team my junior year had been picked as one of the best in the state because of two MLB prospect pitchers. Unfortunately one died from Hodgkins Lymphoma during the season and never was well enough to play, and the other died from an undiagnosed cardiac problem (probably congenital) during the preseason workouts. He went home and wasn’t feeling well so he went to bed to rest and his mother found him dead in bed.

The school is still strong in wrestling (a recent coach was one of my wrestling and track teammates) and a couple of years ago the football team went deep into the playoffs and has had 2 fairly recent Penn State players including starting DB Tony Davis.

I now live about 1000 miles from my old school. Until 4 months ago l lived about 100 miles away.

Lived in Tunkhannock, PA.
In the 70's it was Boys (mens) Volleyball. Won like 770 straight matches. I am not sure how many state championships.

Today I am not sure as I live 1000+ miles away and rarely bet back home.

Reactions: hlstone
Cardinal O'Hara. Best teams were Girls Basketball and Football at the time I graduated.

I'd assume the girls basketball team is still really good.

Live 5 miles away

Last edited:
What was your high school's best sport when you were in high school? Baseball

And if you know, what is it today? Boys basketball

and lastly, how far away do you live now from your high school? 8 miles

McKeesport Area High School

When I was there: Boys Basketball. Won WPIAL and lost in State final to Chester.
After I graduated: Football (Brandon Short went there and McKeesport won 2 State Titles) and for a time, Girls Basketball (especially when Swin Cash was there).
Now: Football, consistently in WPIAL playoffs, lost in championship game in 2016 to West Allegheny.

I live 9 miles away in the Norwin School District.

Reactions: BrandonShort43
Neshaminy has always been a football school. They were also good at soccer when I was there. (My first year at PSU saw five starters on the PSU soccer team from Neshaminy.)
You had the Bahr brothers at one point. And much later Matt Napoleon, who played some for the Columbus Crew (and who is a pretty good guy--I know him slightly from church--he does a lot of volunteer stuff for Haiti).

Basketball -- was at Carlisle during the Jeff Lebo era.
No idea what is best now. Basketball was good last year, not so much this year. Anyone on the board know?
I live about 45 miles away from the school now.

Basketball -- was at Carlisle during the Jeff Lebo era.
No idea what is best now. Basketball was good last year, not so much this year. Anyone on the board know?
I live about 45 miles away from the school now.

They pretty darn good at cross country and track and field...

Then: Wrestling and Boys' Basketball (Baseball was getting ready to go on the run it has)
Now: Baseball (Part of the run referenced above)

My senior year in high school, the football, basketball, and baseball teams sucked. The wrestling team was okay. The golf team was fantastic and I think we were middle of the road in track and field.

Then: Being everyone's homecoming opponent
Today: Same

Distance: Google Maps says 339 miles.

Waterford High - CT
Baseball - 10 state titles plus 6 runner-ups
Still Baseball
About 80 miles away now

I went to Norwin HS in SW PA in the early 80s. Our girls volleyball team was a dynasty. They won 6 or 7 state titles and the coach, Sharon Watson was featured in Sports Illustrated's Faces in the Crowd.

Reactions: john4psu

We were pretty good locally in basketball and wrestling but can't even come close to you other guys as far as state success (maybe the occasional state semi in basketball and a couple of state runners up in wrestling)
Now, I have no idea (possibly destroyed in first or second round of football)
~350 miles (how do you determine distance "as the crow flies" in Google Maps?)

Scranton Prep - Girls bball, tennis, golf, swimming always in States in 90s
Now - Football went deep into playoffs, golf, tennis, swimming all championship caliber.
Live within 15 minutes still near Abingtons.

Reactions: dalions81
In '59, '60 and '61 we had this guy, and three consecutive state championships. My senior year, D3 B-ball champs .. '66 ' ..
Now merged with Wyomissing Area. Best sport probably tennis, now live ~ 30 miles away.
376064_2750946945656_1120522272_n_zpsj8rlm7hp.jpg

Reactions: PSU77sh
Then: Band
Now: I have no idea
Yeah, I can relate to that. I think our band won a state championship while I was in school. But we did win a state championship in cross country in 1975, the year after I graduated. We had a good football team once or twice and did send a few kids to Penn State soccer back in the day. And one big league pitcher, Steve Frey.

We were pretty good locally in basketball and wrestling but can't even come close to you other guys as far as state success (maybe the occasional state semi in basketball and a couple of state runners up in wrestling)
Now, I have no idea (possibly destroyed in first or second round of football)
~350 miles (how do you determine distance "as the crow flies" in Google Maps?)

Link below, I've always found this pretty cool. It's 1427 miles as the bird flies from Denver (39.75N,105W) to State College (40.8N,77.85W). 1555 by car.

https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Then: for a 6 or so year stretch we were good but not great in most sports, boys basketball we made the playoffs every year but 1 and tied for some section championships. A real small school that had a couple families of good athletes who carried us for those years.
Now: they dont win much of anything except Rifle.

Mt Lebanon.

Then: Baseball and Hockey (I went there in the dark times period of football)

Now: Football? i would have to say.

Live about 3/4 of a mile from the school.

Then: Boys Basketball, lost the state championship my senior year to Scotland School and won the following year against Bishop O'Hara.

Now: Girls Basketball, lost the state championship last year to Lebanon Catholic and could possibly make another deep run against more private schools.

Live about 660 miles away.

In '59, '60 and '61 we had this guy, and three consecutive state championships. My senior year, D3 B-ball champs .. '66 ' ..
Now merged with Wyomissing Area. Best sport probably tennis, now live ~ 30 miles away.
376064_2750946945656_1120522272_n_zpsj8rlm7hp.jpg

Ron Krick and West Reading. Another great BBall player from Reading. He broke Wilt's high school scoring records. Ron was so dominant that he shot the ball with his weak hand one year due to injury and still scored over 1k pts but you already knew this of course. His son Reid went to Reading when I was there.

Reactions: PSU77sh
Reading High obviously.

Last Spring when RHS was in the playoffs, my buddy and I were at the Queen City Diner for lunch before we went up to New York for the Big East final. RHS had a game that evening and the Reading players and coaches came in for their pregame meal. I'm looking at the guys and thinking - I got my quarterback, my running backs, my DB's and my receivers. I need some beefier guys to play TE/LB and line, but what a great start!

Most of the men on hoops are good-to-tremendous athletes, even the weakest player on varsity is a good enough ballplayer to get on the field for high school football. Reading is such a huge school, you got lots of raw athletic talent, I'm sure there are plenty of tough guys where football would channel their aggression positively and give them some discipline. So how come Reading football is so awful? You guys should be terrorizing the league.

Yes, I'm a Reading High Red Knight. There's no single answer as to why RHS football isnt dominant. When I played football at RHS we were the best football program in Berks, better than Wilson. In the 90s we had Tony Hardy, Lamar Stewart, Sam Bryant and James Bryant. What happened to RHS football is the same that happened to the city. Alot of less than desirable people fled NYC in the 90s and headed for places like Reading to take advantage of our social programs. This led to a mass exodus out of Reading to the suburbs. PSU benefitted from this when the Gilmores(Pete and John) left Reading for Wilson. Our great bloodlines are now Wilson, Exeter and Gov Mifflin's great bloodlines.

Also, our city has an evergrowing gang/drug problem which takes talent off the field and puts it on the street corner.

went to Valley View. played basketball
then: football and baseball
now: still football at times

Then: Girls Basketball. My senior year, the team lost its first game of the season, then won 34 straight and the state championship. I think the streak got into the 50s before they lost a game the next season.

Now: probably the same. They've won 6 state championships in all. Occasionally, the boys BB or soccer team might make it into interdistrict play.

3 miles.

Lived in Tunkhannock, PA.
In the 70's it was Boys (mens) Volleyball. Won like 770 straight matches. I am not sure how many state championships.

Today I am not sure as I live 1000+ miles away and rarely bet back home.

Wait, I went to Scranton Central in the early 80s and Tunkhannock had Volleyball?!?!? No wonder you won 770 straight matches, did any other HS play VB??? Central sure didn't:

Then: Football/Basketball

Now: Closed in mid to late 80s

Live: approx 230 miles from there and get back once in awhile

I graduated from Abington Heights - I played football and baseball

Then: Football (Teams I played on won our district and then ran into CB West in the state playoffs 3 years straight during their 59 game winning streak), girls and boys basketball, wrestling, golf, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls track, girls cross country
Now: Baseball, softball, girls and boys basketball, golf, boys and girls tennis, boys and girls soccer, girls track, girls cross country

I currently live less than a mile from my high school and also coach there

C.B.West
Then....Football , Girls Lacrosse
Now.... Girls Soccer
Google says 1024 miles

Same school, although I was there before the football team got good (and before it was West). We weren't exceptional at anything when I was there (District Champs in volleyball was the best we did my senior year).

Reactions: kevin310
Same school, although I was there before the football team got good (and before it was West). We weren't exceptional at anything when I was there (District Champs in volleyball was the best we did my senior year).

I'm guessing Coach MacFarlane , heard he coached it all in the 60's

Girls hoops. The team nickname was the "Glamazons" which later fell to the PC police and changed to "Lady Hilltoppers" (the school was on top of a hill, get it?) and the losing began immediately.

Yes, I'm a Reading High Red Knight. There's no single answer as to why RHS football isnt dominant. When I played football at RHS we were the best football program in Berks, better than Wilson. In the 90s we had Tony Hardy, Lamar Stewart, Sam Bryant and James Bryant. What happened to RHS football is the same that happened to the city. Alot of less than desirable people fled NYC in the 90s and headed for places like Reading to take advantage of our social programs. This led to a mass exodus out of Reading to the suburbs. PSU benefitted from this when the Gilmores(Pete and John) left Reading for Wilson. Our great bloodlines are now Wilson, Exeter and Gov Mifflin's great bloodlines.

Also, our city has an evergrowing gang/drug problem which takes talent off the field and puts it on the street corner.
Yeah, I kinda figured as much, which is so sad. So much potential going straight to hell.

In happier news, I remember Tony Hardy went Elvis in the Big 33 game in like '94 or '95. Sam Bryant played at Pitt and James hung around for a while in the NFL and CFL.

A lot of great players came through the Castle on the Hill.

Then boys soccer...something like 200 straight wins. We had a direct pipeline to Poland. We also won a city championship in basketball when one kid grew to 6-6. Now school is gone

Wonderful

North Bergen HS, North Bergen, NJ
1.Football
2.Wrestling, Softball, Track

Wait, I went to Scranton Central in the early 80s and Tunkhannock had Volleyball?!?!? No wonder you won 770 straight matches, did any other HS play VB??? Central sure didn't:

Then: Football/Basketball

Now: Closed in mid to late 80s

Live: approx 230 miles from there and get back once in awhile

I believe that were like 10 - 12 in league. Most were Elk Lake, Montrose and places like that. Even though we were small we did extremely well at States. two state titles and 6 runner-ups. Yep we played you guys in football and ALL the Scranton teams kicked our butts. It was UGLY back then :)

Reactions: BowieLion
ADVERTISEMENT