ADVERTISEMENT

What was your high school's best sport? And if you know what is it today?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
What was your high school's best sport when you were in high school? Baseball

And if you know, what is it today? Boys basketball

and lastly, how far away do you live now from your high school? 8 miles

Reactions: fairgambit

Basketball - thank you John Miller, Sean Miller, Dante Calabria, and Archie Miller!

Then: wrestling (although certainly not great)/lacrosse

Now: football/lacrosse (both very good)

Live 1 mile from the school now

Last edited:
Went to Southern Columbia...played football. We were all scared of the field hockey team!:eek: I guess we'd have to agree the football is pretty solid now.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Then - Boys Basketball (Donyell Marshall starred back then)

Now - Boys Basketball (Lonnie Walker IV just led us to the 1st 6A title)

Distance - 7 miles

Then-baseball Now- over60 senior softball, 2 miles from Haverford High

It was polo, but today its archery. I live exactly 409 miles from my high school.

Hey. Its the internet. People make stuff up. Not me, but some do. :rolleyes:

OK, it was, and is, football. I live less than 10 miles away.

Then - Boys Basketball (Donyell Marshall starred back then)

Now - Boys Basketball (Lonnie Walker IV just led us to the 1st 6A title)

Distance - 7 miles
Reading High obviously.

Last Spring when RHS was in the playoffs, my buddy and I were at the Queen City Diner for lunch before we went up to New York for the Big East final. RHS had a game that evening and the Reading players and coaches came in for their pregame meal. I'm looking at the guys and thinking - I got my quarterback, my running backs, my DB's and my receivers. I need some beefier guys to play TE/LB and line, but what a great start!

Most of the men on hoops are good-to-tremendous athletes, even the weakest player on varsity is a good enough ballplayer to get on the field for high school football. Reading is such a huge school, you got lots of raw athletic talent, I'm sure there are plenty of tough guys where football would channel their aggression positively and give them some discipline. So how come Reading football is so awful? You guys should be terrorizing the league.

Soccer powerhouse when I was there. Then we fired the coach, now we are not a powerhouse. Just hired him back though.

Currently a football powerhouse.

My calculator tells me that I am, as the bird flies, 1161 miles away from the alma mater.

Wrestling and girl's basketball. Won a couple state titles in wrestling, multiple state champions and a 76 match win streak. Girl's BB won a state title and played in a couple more finals. I live 4 miles from my school.

Peters Twp HS

Then: baseball, swimming and football

Now: state champs in men's and women's soccer

I live 300 miles away.

Easily Basketball (despite being the home of Eugene "Mercury" Morris of Dolphins fame). Now, it is football. As the crow flies, live about two miles from the school.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Then,Football (only undefeated team in school's history my senior year)Basketball 21-1 my senior year!
Now,it's Girls BB and softball.
I live 7 miles from my high school and taught there for 32 years.

Basketball - thank you John Miller, Sean Miller, Dante Calabria, and Archie Miller!
You went to Blackhawk HS? I have relatives who went/played there.

As for my school, we were good at track & field. Not especially good at football...we were the team that everyone wanted to play for their homecoming.

Now, I have no idea. It’s a smaller district that honestly would benefit from merging with some of the other smaller districts in the area.

600 miles away

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Archbold High School, Archbold, OH.

Then - boys basketball, football, girls volleyball
Now - boys basketball (because the area has become very weak), boys and girls soccer, girls basketball, football (recovering).

Then - 3 block/7 minute walk
Now - under a mile

OL

Bishop McDevitt. Football then and now. Live about 7 miles from the new school, grew up a few blocks from the old school in the city.

Swimming

Football

~30 miles

LdN

Then none. Football was new. Basketball was okay. Track and field had a world class javelin thrower. Rest of us okay. Wrestling stank. I was one of two who won in the first round of sectionals. Baseball was okay. Tennis was bad.

Now no longer a rural high school but a suburban school district. Teams in most sports are very competitive.

75 miles

Gateway was and is a football-first district.

I now live 25 miles away in Shaler. Dismal football, baseball seems to be our thing.

Then...it was probably wrestling but we didn't win a state title as a school until '97 with baseball (my brother was on the team)

Now...it's definitely wrestling...even though girls basketball and football have nabbed a state title over the last 10 years, wrestling has tacked up a number of banners in the gym over the last 10 years.

Distance -- 978 miles according to Google Maps.

1) Basketball (except for the 2 years I played).
2) Baseball (a sport we didn't have then, now wins state titles).
3) 1,200 miles

State champs in track and football.

Now - Not much

ADVERTISEMENT