ADVERTISEMENT

What was the greatest single-game performance on defense by a Penn State football player?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
What was the greatest single-game performance by a Penn State football player on defense?

Anyone have any highlight footage of Mike Reid?

In person, it seemed like Paul Posluszny was in on every tackle like a heat-seeking missile against Ohio State in 2005. He ended up with 14 tackles.

Others?

What was the greatest single-game performance by a Penn State football player on defense?

In person, it seemed like Paul Posluszny was in on every tackle like a heat-seeking missile against Ohio State in 2005. He ended up with 14 tackles.

Others?
Shane Conlan 1987 Fiesta Bowl.

The Lavar Leap!
I remember Lavar blocking a field goal against Purdue, it looked like he was 6 feet off of the ground! Don't remember the exact games but Mike Hartenstine and Bruce Clark had some monster games too. Ditto on Reid.

Reactions: brupsu
1966 Mike Reid vs Maryland- I believe it was Joe’s first victory:

“But in that Maryland game, defensive tackle Mike Reid was credited with three 2-pointers. (PSU historian Lou Prato, who actually bothered to watch coaches' film of the game, claims Reid should only have been given two, for a blocked punt across the end line and a sack.)”

Shane Conlan in the Fiesta has to be the best ever. Especially considering circumstances.

I think Terry Killens had a great game against Cincinnati. With 4 or 5 sacks+.

The Alabama game where Derrick Thomas dominated Penn State, I think in 1988 or 89ish, is still maybe the greatest single game defensive performance I have ever witnessed.

It's hard to single out a single player from the Lions' shut down of the Missouri offense in the '69 Orange Bowl. But I'll mention that Neal Smith had two interceptions in that game. If the NCAA counted bowl games in season stats back then, Smith would be credited with 12 rather than 10 interceptions in the record book.

It's hard to single out a single player from the Lions' shut down of the Missouri offense in the '69 Orange Bowl. But I'll mention that Neal Smith had two interceptions in that game. If the NCAA counted bowl games in season stats back then, Smith would be credited with 12 rather than 10 interceptions in the record book.
Holy cow 🐄
I can’t believe there is some video of this game out there.

Courtney Brown's game against Michigan State. Hell, Brown beat out LaVar for Defensive Player of the year in the B1G. People forget because he had knee problems, microfracture surgery and was a bust in the NFL.

Tamba Hali destroying Wisconsin in 2005 with 4 sacks

he was double and triple teamed the whole game

Gary Danielson mutters "Jesus Christ" under his breath at one point
That’s the first one that came to mind for me also.

Wow there are many. Didn’t lavar dominate osu at home in 99?

under rated performance because PSU lost but Devon Still against Alabama. Was double teamed all game but still was a massive disruptive force. about as good of a game as a Dtackle has played at PSU.

If they actually called holding it would have been Courtney Brown during any game. I've never seen a player get absolutely mugged like him on nearly every down. It was actually comical how often he got held without a flag.

Reactions: bytir
Courtney Brown's game against Michigan State. Hell, Brown beat out LaVar for Defensive Player of the year in the B1G. People forget because he had knee problems, microfracture surgery and was a bust in the NFL.
i don't consider anybody a bust if the issue was a major injury that materially effected their ability to compete athletically same with KiJana Carter who tore his ACL in the pre-season as a rookie.

Others?
Shane Conlan against Oklahoma in 85 and Miami in 86. If you recall Conlan was shadowing Halloway against Oklahoma and he was totally dominant.
Modern performance I would say Saquan against Iowa.

Reactions: john4psu
What Bruce Clark did to Rutgers quarterback(s) in 1979 was downright criminal, but since this was against Rutgers it probably should get an asterisk.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Interesting, but I think George Landis also had 2 interceptions in that game and PSU had 7.

Reactions: We Are . . .
Conlan played awesome against both OU and Miami in 1986 and 1987 bowl games. His responsibility was Halloway the QB for OU who I think ran for 0 yards in the game. His 2 picks versus Testeverde were critical to the victory.

Perhaps the greatest defensive game aginst us was by the Late Derrick Thomas from Alabama who had 4 or 5 sacks........unblockable in college and pro.

Conlan played awesome against both OU and Miami in 1986 and 1987 bowl games. His responsibility was Halloway the QB for OU who I think ran for 0 yards in the game. His 2 picks versus Testeverde were critical to the victory.

Perhaps the greatest defensive game aginst us was by the Late Derrick Thomas from Alabama who had 4 or 5 sacks........unblockable in college and pro.
I always thought Pat Fitzgerald's effort in 1995 was the best I've seen against us.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSU Soupy
Great video on the backstory of the LaVar play vs Purdue Creamery Freak reference. Easily the most amazing jaw dropping play of his career -- LaVar Leap included.

As far as LaVar's best games, tough call between OSU 98 and Alamo Bowl in 99.

Millen, Clark, Pete Harris in the '78 Maryland game. That game was hyped as Maryland having a legitimate shot to beat us...finally...Joe put an end to that nonsense.

Reactions: papa_ed and brupsu
William Thomas "Mother' Dunn.

November 18th 1904 vs WVU won by PSU 6-0. Dunn was credited with every tackle in the game, 25 of which were behind the line of scrimmage, and 2 blocked punts, Head coach Tom Fennel said it was the greatest individual performance he had ever seen in his life. His performance clearly established PSU as Linebacker U.

Last edited:

Others?

Zach Mills comeback vs OSU

The player's name is escaping me at the moment but who was the D lineman that had an absolutely incredible half in the last 3-4 years, I think vs. OSU? I remember the other half wasn't nearly as good but I remember that one half as one of the best I've seen from a PSU defender.

The player's name is escaping me at the moment but who was the D lineman that had an absolutely incredible half in the last 3-4 years, I think vs. OSU? I remember the other half wasn't nearly as good but I remember that one half as one of the best I've seen from a PSU defender.
Zettle?

Garret Sickels?

Reactions: PSUSignore
ADVERTISEMENT