ADVERTISEMENT

What unique traditions set your town apart?

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Just read that Texarkanna, which is split by the Texas/Arkansas border, has a dinner every year with tables for a thousand people set on the state border. You sit on one side of the table and eat your meal in one state and then everyone switches side and eats dessert in the other state! Pretty cool tradition.

Last edited:
York PA, just after midnight on Christmas Eve (technically Christmas morning) someone plays carols on a local factory steam whistle. 130+ years this has been ongoing.

First time I heard it I thought "What the hell is that dying in the distance"? but now that Silent Night rendition on the most holy night of the year is something i look forward to.

Just up the road from us- Brattleboro, Vermont and the Strolling of the Heifers
iu

Just up the road from us- Brattleboro, Vermont and the Strolling of the Heifers
iu

My late wife's uncle is an artist in Brattleboro. Mostly metal sculpture stuff and large scale painting - murals, etc.
You may have seen some of his work.

Reactions: Nitt1300
Just read that Texarkanna, which is split by the Texas/Arkansas border, has a dinner every year with tables for a thousand people set on the state border. You sit on one side of the table and eat your meal in one state and then everyone switches side and eats dessert in the other state! Pretty cool tradition.

Cincinnati has a major fire works show every Labor Day weekend sponsored by a local rock radio station. One half million people gather on the banks of the Ohio River to watch the show. Pretty amazing. Obviously, no crowds were permitted this year.

They reenact Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas morning every year in Washington Crossing. There are perhaps a hundred reenactors and sometimes thousands of spectators depending upon the weather. Sometimes the Delaware River is too frozen to cross it. It’s a great spectacle to commemorate perhaps the most important battle of the Revolutionary War at the Battle of Trenton.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
My late wife's uncle is an artist in Brattleboro. Mostly metal sculpture stuff and large scale painting - murals, etc.
You may have seen some of his work.
The Brattleboro Welcome Center is probably the nicest Rest Stop in the U.S. Maybe some of his stuff is displayed there? My son went to college further up the highway and we have stopped there many times.

The Brattleboro Welcome Center is probably the nicest Rest Stop in the U.S. Maybe some of his stuff is displayed there? My son went to college further up the highway and we have stopped there many times.
you must know the Vermont Deli, then

Silentville, Utopia USA here, it’s a class c felony to discuss politics or Covid. And we don’t care about visitors and their opinions on anything.

For my hometown:

Drinking in the woods and getting severely injured after crashing your ATV/Dirtbike. Must be the per capita ATV accident capital of the world.

Reactions: bison13
Massive orgy on the village green. They call it the “Pie Eating Contest”.

Fountain Ceremony 11 15 every year. They have one in the spring as well to turn it back on.

Cincinnati has a major fire works show every Labor Day weekend sponsored by a local rock radio station. One half million people gather on the banks of the Ohio River to watch the show. Pretty amazing. Obviously, no crowds were permitted this year.

I hope they haven't cancelled the famed helicopter turkey drop for Thanksgiving. Always wanted to come out and see that.

In my home town we have these huge football games where people come from miles around to eat and drink in the parking lots before and after the games. Some times they throw urine filled balloons and steal big red hats for fun.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Every morning, I have two cups of coffee and take a satisfying dump. I am not sure that is unique or not but I've never heard anyone talk about it.

you must know the Vermont Deli, then
Yes...but from a time when we stayed with relatives in the Berkshires and then cut across Rt. 9. It actually was the day that Trace threw the late pick vs. Pitt. We were driving somewhere in the hills and picked it up on the radio. Passed a biker bar not far from there with an amazing view. Maybe someday we'll be back that way. Nice country!

Every morning, I have two cups of coffee and take a satisfying dump. I am not sure that is unique or not but I've never heard anyone talk about it.
I have a weird thing recently where Ive been dumping twice a day. It’s wonderful. Might try for three pretty soon.

Reactions: Obliviax
York PA, just after midnight on Christmas Eve (technically Christmas morning) someone plays carols on a local factory steam whistle. 130+ years this has been ongoing.

First time I heard it I thought "What the hell is that dying in the distance"? but now that Silent Night rendition on the most holy night of the year is something i look forward to.

My son’s trumpet teachers (The Ryan’s- father and son) have ”orchestrated” this downtown York Christmas tradition for many years. My son assisted at a rehearsal one year. It is an eerie and haunting sound.

For two days, the day before and the day of, we get 30 K to 40,000 people coming into our small town of 6,000 people. They come from all over the world for this tradition, We call it Groundhog Day, on Feb 2. Perhaps some of you have heard of it???

Chickens! We have chickens freely strutting through the old town down area. Made national news when some one took a picture of them walking by Popeyes!!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Chickens! We have chickens freely strutting through the old town down area. Made national news when some one took a picture of them walking by Popeyes!!
My neighbor's cows were loose and in my orchard eating my apples last evening. Again. 🐄 💩

Didn't hear the show, but if it's so dangerous to play, why is it we are the ones being called complete fools by the media, and the guys that are playing are not?

Did they address that? Just boggles my mind that the MSM isn't all over the three P-5 Conferences that are playing if this thing is as dangerous as they lead us to believe every day.

I guess this is what happens when you don't have any real football to talk about. This and Herbie crying up a storm on National television. What a great way to celebrate the Day that should have been the beginning of our CFP run !!! : ^ )
My neighbor's cows were loose and in my orchard eating my apples last evening. Again. 🐄 💩
Hopefully there are some good steaks in your near future!

ADVERTISEMENT