What this college girl found out: scratch a Wokeist Dem-Mediacrat...and underneath you find a fascist

Jerry

May 29, 2001
She's a non-religious lib from a conservative community who goes to the prestigious Wokeist bastion of Bryn Mawr thinking to find refuge there and instead discovers an oppressive atmosphere of censorship, fear, and group-think.

So she ends up at stick-in-the-mud conservative Christian Hillsdale, and it's like night and day. She's encouraged to speak freely without fear, and it's all quite a revelation to her. Freedom turns out to be a pretty good thing.

The comments after the article are interesting in their own right: lots of libs who, like Bill Maher, are realizing their friends on that side of the political spectrum have quite simply lost their minds:

m.knox

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2003
What a great read. Thanks for posting.

The tolerant left.... lmfao.....

I quickly discovered that almost every school that was operating even remotely normally was overtly religious. That was really hard for me to wrap my brain around given I had a somewhat fixed view of conservatives being rigid and intolerant. Yet, here I was, confronted with the fact that these religious institutions were, in practice, far more aligned with my values like individual liberty, critical inquiry, and diversity of thought than the place that explicitly claimed to be those things.

In my admissions interview for Hillsdale, a small school of less than 1,500 students, founded by Baptists in Michigan, I praised Christopher Hitchens—a staunch and unapologetic atheist—as one of my intellectual heroes. I disclosed that I was not religious. I debated with my interviewer about whether math was invented or discovered.

And they wanted me anyway. When I received that acceptance letter in November for the Spring 2022 semester, I cried.

I’ve been at Hillsdale for three weeks, and life here is blissfully normal. I have sorority sisters. We get together and study and play board games. The student union and dining hall are packed. No one asks anyone else’s vaccine status. There are no mask mandates, and no mandatory Covid testing. You'll see an occasional student in a mask but no one thinks anything of it.

Students and staff I’ve encountered disagree on the utility of masks and the danger of Covid, but it’s rarely the focus of conversation and certainly not the organizing principle of anyone's life. It feels like someone finally turned off the fire alarm that had been blaring for nearly two years.

I went to office hours—in person—the other day for one of my new classes, a required course about classic literature and I got into an interesting debate with a professor. Upon sharing an idea that directly refuted his interpretation of a line from Genesis, which I had never read before, he said, “That’s a great point. Why didn’t you share that in class?” “I didn’t want to be argumentative,” I told him. “Be argumentative,” he said emphatically.

HartfordLlion

Sep 28, 2001
The religous based college sounds like college back in the day when actual Freedom of Speech was practiced. Not that we had to worry about it, it was expected that everyone had the right to their opinion and were free to express it. Well of course that didn't apply to opposing fans sitting in the PSU student section.