What sort of gun control would you support?

jjw165

Jan 18, 2005
I agree that the measures proposed by democrats would at best save 50 lives per year. I just think it's stupid for Republicans to dig in their heels and offer nothing.

The bigger issue is to get control of troubled people BEFORE they kill someone. That's not easy. The only other option is to make it difficult for troubled people to get guns in the first place. Like red flag laws, reporting at risk people, etc.
Like you said, getting troubled people from having guns in the first place is the hardest part. The sad thing is, we’ve gotten further away from mental health services over the years to assist with that deterrence. After Covid, it’s even worse. Our politicians literally have played a role in further eroding mental health with policies in the last 2 years. My wife works in the field. Mental health has never been worse in schools since she started working in the field 13 years ago. Our politicians don’t care about effective policies. So, I don’t care about a few political points by enacting faux policies on gun reform. I think that approach is what got us here in the first place. That why I can’t concede on this issue. I’m not a politician and I don’t want to think like one.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Agreed, I also wonder if some of the Rs who are bailing on the NRA convention wouldn't be better served by speaking there and calling for some common sense reforms even if they probably won't result in drastic results in the random shootings. Additonally, they could call out states who are letting dangerous criminals with guns off with extremely light sentences.
The NRA issue is interesting , they’re like a big ineffective organization.
If Republicans call for useless “common sense” reforms they will not gain the house. If they don’t fight for me, I don’t vote. You’ll kill voter enthusiasm.
Look back to 1994. Personally this enrages me, people call for useless reforms which will not work for window dressing . While we now know these guys waited an hour to engage. The guys that would be allowed to carry them.
Who hung around outside. But you ahead and tell me how I should compromise when those tasked to protect and serve don’t.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Probably staking out the corner bars, waiting to get their ticket quota.
Shift change, who wants to go to a potential violent encounter when the next shift comes on in a few minutes.
She had a naked bloody man pounding on her door claiming people were trying to kill him. He was actually kidnapped, beaten, stripped down , shot at and missed, and the kidnappers left.
He was pizzed.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Like you said, getting troubled people from having guns in the first place is the hardest part. The sad thing is, we’ve gotten further away from mental health services over the years to assist with that deterrence. After Covid, it’s even worse. Our politicians literally have played a role in further eroding mental health with policies in the last 2 years. My wife works in the field. Mental health has never been worse in schools since she started working in the field 13 years ago. Our politicians don’t care about effective policies. So, I don’t care about a few political points by enacting faux policies on gun reform. I think that approach is what got us here in the first place. That why I can’t concede on this issue. I’m not a politician and I don’t want to think like one.
There’s an estimated 5-10 million new gun owners during that time and I bet they’ll remember those days.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
You can't legislate for the outliers.....No law is perfect. Carry extra magazines. Keep a couple of extra magazines next to your bed.
Or keep standard capacity mags. Ever try to reload while you’re in a firefight? I’ve heard it’s just so easy.
Now I’ve done it with no one shooting back at me. Kind of like these mass shooters. And again, the guys with the standard capacity mags get to wait outside letting the psycho have a shooting gallery instead of making him engage in a gun fight.
Until the border patrol agent and some others entered .

Reactions: WeR0206

Gnat91

Dec 28, 2016
Jacksonville FL.
Shift change, who wants to go to a potential violent encounter when the next shift comes on in a few minutes.
She had a naked bloody man pounding on her door claiming people were trying to kill him. He was actually kidnapped, beaten, stripped down , shot at and missed, and the kidnappers left.
He was pizzed.
My personal story involves a crazy bitch holding a 12 gage to my face while her many friends took baseball bats to my car. But I've many stories from friends about how useless the cops are. I have a really good friend that is a Pa state trooper...or used to be anyway, he retired. But every time I see him I tell him he's useless...he smiles and laughs because it's me, but he halfway knows I'm not kidding.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
My personal story involves a crazy bitch holding a 12 gage to my face while her many friends took baseball bats to my car. But I've many stories from friends about how useless the cops are. I have a really good friend that is a Pa state trooper...or used to be anyway, he retired. But every time I see him I tell him he's useless...he smiles and laughs because it's me, but he halfway knows I'm not kidding.
He might not be useless , but so many are.

Reactions: Gnat91

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
From a friend of mine in Australia:

Had this discussion this morning.
Don’t you feel safer in Australia as guns are banned?
Me: not in particular our last mass killing was done by someone using a car as a weapon.
Anti gun: but we need cars you don’t need guns
Me: no I don’t need guns, what will you do to stop me if I want to hurt you ?
Anti gun: call a cop
Me: so you’re outsourcing your violence?
So many people think they’ll control the men with guns.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
While some here argue magazine capacity or waiting and background checks this lady engages and stops the threat.
Unlike the trained people that are supposed to protect us.

Reactions: Ski

bdgan

May 29, 2008
I think a lot of the problem is the decline of faith and the nuclear family. Kids don't have good support at home, they aren't active in things like scouting, sports, or the school play. They perform poorly in school, they don't have friends, and their life spirals downward as the depression sets in.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I think a lot of the problem is the decline of faith and the nuclear family. Kids don't have good support at home, they aren't active in things like scouting, sports, or the school play. They perform poorly in school, they don't have friends, and their life spirals downward as the depression sets in.
Did you see the link where the woman shot and killed the men with the AR at that party in West Virginia ? Go read it and tell me what you think is unusual about it.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
1. A woman in West Virginia fatally shot a man who began firing an AR-15-style rifle into a crowd of people that had gathered for a party, authorities said.

What Is an AR 15 style rifle ?? It’s an AR 15, or Ar 10, or maybe a shotgun? There are shotguns built in the AR platform . There are also AR 10s, .308 size rounds. Their are pistol caliber ARs in a rifle configuration . There are rifle calibers and pistol calibers in pistol configuration.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
The woman, who was attending the party, drew a pistol and fired, killing Butler, the statement said. No one at the party was injured.

“Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night,” Chief of Detectives Tony Hazelett told news outlets Thursday.

Stay informed about local news and weather in the D.C. area. Get the NBC4 Washington app for iOSor Android and pick your alerts.
Butler was at the apartment complex earlier in the evening in a vehicle and had been warned to slow down because children were playing, police said. They said he left, but returned later, parked in front of the complex and began firing.

After fatally shooting Butler, the woman waited along with several witnesses for police to arrive, and all have cooperated with the investigation, authorities said.

Hazelett said no charges would be filed against the woman.
We have no reporting on what gun she used , capacity , or how many shots were fired by each party. It was all very cut and dried. Almost boring.
I mean she shot and killed him after he was firing at them . Also did he have other weapons? More mags?
We can’t hsve too many people reading this and maybe learning something . Or interested in the topic.

DandyDonII

Oct 16, 2002
The NRA issue is interesting , they’re like a big ineffective organization.
If Republicans call for useless “common sense” reforms they will not gain the house. If they don’t fight for me, I don’t vote. You’ll kill voter enthusiasm.
Look back to 1994. Personally this enrages me, people call for useless reforms which will not work for window dressing . While we now know these guys waited an hour to engage. The guys that would be allowed to carry them.
Who hung around outside. But you ahead and tell me how I should compromise when those tasked to protect and serve don’t.
useless and changes that won't cause drastic change are two different things....Nothing is going to solve the problem in it's entirety, and unless we do away with the 4th Amendment's general prohibitions against warrantless searches, nothing is going to make a serious dent in these types of incidents. However, if we can enact some laws that save some children's lives with minimal negative impacts to others, then I am for it.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
useless and changes that won't cause drastic change are two different things....Nothing is going to solve the problem in it's entirety, and unless we do away with the 4th Amendment's general prohibitions against warrantless searches, nothing is going to make a serious dent in these types of incidents. However, if we can enact some laws that save some children's lives with minimal negative impacts to others, then I am for it.
I say it won’t do a thing . Zero. But people like pointless effort . I can accomplish zero by doing zero.
It’s well established that the delayed going inside for app. 90 minutes. The police. It’s also established a door was left open. Violating security protocols.
People are the problem in what they call OPSEC. The killer entered through a door that was supposed to be locked . Officers arrived way too late, why? And waited 90 minutes.
Their excuse was they were getting shot at, boo hoo. It’s called a gunfight guys.
It’s now reported that over one hundred officers were on the scene too. I’ve seen one report that 100 were handling perimeter security , over fifty were staged and could’ve went in.
But let’s focus on a mag capacity. Meanwhile the dirtbags on Reddit are now talking about pump shotguns, loading techniques , and arguing buckshot vs slugs.
And in another state some ahole attacks a party with an AR and gets shot by a woman. He’s dead , very little press.
I notice that story made no mention of the gun she used other than a pistol , the capacity of the pistol , the make and model .
The gun was mentioned as being an AR 15 style rifle . 🙄🙄 It’s either an AR 15 or not.
My point is minimal information in a boring article. I’ve seen more hype for garage sale weekend around here.
While one day prior LE was milling about while a school shooter waltzed around. There are records of students calling 911 begging for help, but debate a useless endeavor.
It’s the people and mistakes they made.
Oh, btw, I’m seeing talk that a retired federal agent had Information about a potential shooting in the Buffalo case.
I give up nothing until I see competence from those tasked to handle this stuff.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Why worry about 10-30 rounds of the alleged professionals are such F ups?

jimarnp

Sep 6, 2001
I know most of the libs would prefer a complete ban on all weapons.

Beyond current laws on the books, I could be talked into requiring anyone under 21 that is currently legally allowed to purchase a gun, to require parental permission to purchase a gun. A lot of these school shootings are by "kids" under 21. Requiring parental sign-off would at least put one road block up for "pre-adult" purchases by immature individuals.

I would not accept limits on the types of guns any more than we currently have. I don't think that is the problem. The problem is keeping guns out of the hands of those with disturbed minds. And you can't rely on society as a whole to catch those individuals. They have to be caught by those close to them, their parents. And requiring parental approval for a 19 yr old to purchase a gun is an easy tool for a parent to be able to exercise.

And to be honest, a 19 yr old should have to take an approved of civics course, with a passing grade, in order to be issued a voter registration card. Too many idiotic immature idealists with no concept of reality voting.
“The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed “. — The second amendment/ right to bear arms was NOT designed for deer and turkey hunting……, but for overreach by tyrannical government .

JR4PSU

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2002
SE PA
“The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed “. — The second amendment/ right to bear arms was NOT designed for deer and turkey hunting……, but for overreach by tyrannical government .
Is voting restricted in any way for those of voting age? And, if so, do you approve of those restrictions?

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
Is voting restricted in any way for those of voting age?
I’m willing to accept a 21 year of age voting requirement and raise all firearms to that age if the left says yes to in person voting with an ID requirement and a background clearance to vet the person , insuring they’re the real person.
Like we do for gun purchases,

Last edited:

JR4PSU

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2002
SE PA
I’m willing to accept a 21 year of age voting requirement and raise all firearms to that age of the left says yes to in person voting with an ID requirement and a background clearance to vet the person , insuring they’re the real person.
Like we do for gun purchases,
I agree.

Voting rights are also restricted for felons. Just as gun rights are. I would add mentally ill to both gun rights and voting rights. If a person is deemed unfit to bear arms, he/she should also be deemed unfit to vote. If a person is deemed unfit to vote, he/she should be unfit to own a gun. Voting rights and gun rights should be linked at the hips. Then we’ll see how serious the left is.

Last edited:

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I agree.

Voting rights are also restricted for felons. Just as gun rights are. I would add mentally ill to both gun rights and voting rights. If a person is deemed unfit to bear arms, he/she should also be deemed unfit to vote. If a person is deemed unfit to vote, he/she should be unfit to own a gun. Voting rights and gun rights should be linked at the hips. Then we’ll see how serious the left is.
Exactly

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I agree.

Increasing the restrictions on gun ownership by certain vetting is something I’m ok with if it’s across the board for serious adult responsibilities.

Reactions: JR4PSU and Ski

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010

And mental health is a real problem in this country. The stigma that surrounds it, the reluctance of people close to the situation and know what’s going on is but understandable don’t take action, the help that’s available, and the failure of the legal system to honestly and effectively address mental heath is a big problem.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
And mental health is a real problem in this country. The stigma that surrounds it, the reluctance of people close to the situation and know what’s going on is but understandable don’t take action, the help that’s available, and the failure of the legal system to honestly and effectively address mental heath is a big problem.
The reluctance of people to seek treatment along with the difficulty seeking it also. Reluctance can be somewhat of a distrust to seriously evil people who aren’t going to volunteer to seek help.

Reactions: psuted

psuted

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2010
The reluctance of people to seek treatment along with the difficulty seeking it also. Reluctance can be somewhat of a distrust to seriously evil people who aren’t going to volunteer to seek help.

Which is why you’ll never totally eliminate the threat and why places like schools need to be hardened. You’ll never eliminate pure evil.

Dzapper

May 5, 2019
(Sorry, I mistakenly posted this to anotrher thread. Please excuse the duplication.)

The Left can't get pass these fundamental issues in an "honest" discussion of gun control:
1. the 2nd Amendment-it's wording and its original intent;
2. the fact that the gun grabbers will take the guns from the people who would use them responsibly and basically leave the criminals (and the government) as the only armed people in our society..... ask citizens of Central America and Eastern Europe and African countries how that worked out for them;
3 the government has failed in its most basic duty..... to protect its citizens from anyone taking their lives or injuring them ----that would include invaders intending to harm us (border crashers and other terrorists) and home grown criminals and terrorists. The government has failed us in a major way and NOW they want to disarm us so we are even more easy prey for the people they have failed to identify and neutralize. And, the simple truth of this is that this failure is driven by Leftist policies; and
4. there are already a ton of weapons laws that are going unenforced by the police (maInly Federal agencies)and local prosecutors, State AGs and US Atts......most, if not ALL, of which are Soc/Dems. I've yet to see any Leftie defend this in a way that makes any sense.

Clean up the gun related violence caused by Left-wing anarchists, the gang bangers, the drug dealers, BLM, ANTIFA and the rest of the Leftie surrogates, then maybe we can talk about how the right can trust your gun control initiatives. Until then STFU. The only thing that will result from additional gun control laws at this point is further restrictions on the law abiding. None of the real problems with crime and mass shootings will be affected in the slightest.

Before we get guilted into taking another step along the way to the total banning of guns held by private citizens in the US, let's remember, this is the Soc/Dem admitted strategy on many issues aimed at rolling back our individual rights.......take one bite at a time...eventually they will completely accomplish their true goals....(eg. Hillary Clinton's Nationalized Health Care Plan).

Last edited:

rutgersdave

Jan 23, 2004
I was just looking at the list of school shootings and noticed New Jersey had only one at a school football game. NJ has the second toughest gun laws. I don't know maybe a correlation. Most of the shootings are in red states about 75%. Every state have their own gun laws even though many in NJ worry about shooting in other states. I don’t think there will be any significant change with gun laws but they should change it that you have to be 21 to purchase any guns, handgun or rifle.

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019
I was just looking at the list of school shootings and noticed New Jersey had only one at a school football game. NJ has the second toughest gun laws. I don't know maybe a correlation. Most of the shootings are in red states about 75%. Every state have their own gun laws even though many in NJ worry about shooting in other states. I don’t think there will be any significant change with gun laws but they should change it that you have to be 21 to purchase any guns, handgun or rifle.
School shootings aside, go hang around Newark at night. But then again, I’ll go with 21 for all guns if voting is raised to 21 with ID, like all gun purchases .
We adult across the board in everything . Make it make sense . That includes military service.

Reactions: WeR0206

WeR0206

Apr 9, 2014
2020evidence.org
What kind of control over a corrupt/incompetent FBI would people support?

qKKtE91fqvvW.jpeg

"No that's Bob's niece's fiance. He never approved of his latin ass, so we MK-Ultra'd his ass and sent him loose to advance our steal your guns agenda. Only bad guys can have guns in America."

Reactions: psuted

rutgersdave

Jan 23, 2004
School shootings aside, go hang around Newark at night. But then again, I’ll go with 21 for all guns if voting is raised to 21 with ID, like all gun purchases .
We adult across the board in everything . Make it make sense . That includes military service.

Newark is number 30 Chicago #28, Pittsburgh #58 and Philadelphia is #16 but a lot more Southern cities and Ohio cities in the list. Newark violent crime has improved since 2016, probably the reason lot of new construction in Newark.

Reactions: maypole

bourbon n blues

Nov 20, 2019

Newark is number 30 Chicago #28, Pittsburgh #58 and Philadelphia is #16 but a lot more Southern cities and Ohio cities in the list. Newark violent crime has improved since 2016.
My point is those are the crime areas, these gun free zone shootings are dwarfed by the day to day bad part of town shootings .
Where would you rather go ? Your kids school assembly? Or the bad part of town?

Reactions: psuted and Hotshoe

Latest posts