What should we do if Putin

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Starts winning with his new troop surge?

Uses a nuclear weapon?

PSUEngineer89

Aug 14, 2021

Uses a nuclear weapon?
We have already given our response to the first. Continue to supply Ukraine with superior weapons, but no more. More troops doesn’t change he equation, we all expected Putins first troops would be enough.

With regards to the second? No idea.

rll1957

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
No idea. We have a wounded president facing a catastrophic election Putin may very well go nuclear. What can Biden do. The real problem is that china is watching. Is there any doubt that they won’t act on Taiwan before 2024. None. The enemies are moving now because Biden is a compromised idiot placeholder the world is headed to a dark place but we voted for this elections have consequences

bdgan

May 29, 2008
No idea. We have a wounded president facing a catastrophic election Putin may very well go nuclear. What can Biden do. The real problem is that china is watching. Is there any doubt that they won’t act on Taiwan before 2024. None. The enemies are moving now because Biden is a compromised idiot placeholder the world is headed to a dark place but we voted for this elections have consequences
Have you noticed how China is allied with Russia? How would China respond if we counter Russia's nuclear attack?

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
I read where someone from EU or Nato said Russia doesn't have sufficient weaponry for all the newly called up troops
Putin has some serious problems. Uzbekistan and Kesykastan, both former Soviet Union enclaves, fought over disputed territory a few years back and Putinstan pit peace keeping troops on the border. Putin pulled most of them out for Ukraine and now the two are shooting at each other again.

He had large numbers of troops in Chechnya after they revolted twenty years ago and pulled troops from there. Now there are the beginnings of another revolt there.

People are fleeing the country. Troops defecting. People pissed.

It’s gonna be a interesting time observing which side collapses first.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
And on top of that they have a negative population growth rate so they cannot afford to send their dwindling population of young men to die in a pointless war.
So true. It is so bad a couple months ago he directed all the different provinces of Russia to produce a ‘voluntary’ battalion from each one. All that is, except for the ethnic Russian area around Moscow. Can’t afford to lose any blond haired, blue eyed Russian kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMTLION

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003

Uses a nuclear weapon?

We should send troops and a shit ton of military power to make it clear that the US doesn’t support Russia paving over Democracies

Ski

May 29, 2001
I read where someone from EU or Nato said Russia doesn't have sufficient weaponry for all the newly called up troops
Even if he only brings up reservists and calls back prior military it will take them until spring to turn 300,000 troops into effective fighting units. Part of the challenge is that they have been using some of the faculty from their military schools already in front line units, so who is going to train/retrain that many troops? It behooves the Ukrainians to keep the pressure on even through the winter before these new units can have an impact on the battlefield.

LMTLION

Mar 20, 2008
So true. It is so bad a couple months ago he directed all the different provinces of Russia to produce a ‘voluntary’ battalion from each one. All that is, except for the ethnic Russian area around Moscow. Can’t afford to lose any blond haired, blue eyed Russian kids.
The Russians may or may not see it but the real boogeyman is not the West - it is China. The Russians cannot maintain territorial control with a declining population. The Chinese play the long game. In time they will peel away territory from the Russians.

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Jerry

May 29, 2001

Uses a nuclear weapon?

As Ski pointed out, it will be months before those troops see the front, and God knows where they'll get the necessary equipment and armaments.

It's interesting that the Ukies haven't appeared to aggressively follow up their stunning success in the Kharkiv region. The situation seems to have remained more or less static since then, which equates to an advantage for Russia. Moscow would be happy to stand pat into the winter. For Ukraine, however, this is not a tenable situation long-term.

We know about Russian losses because they've been trumpeted by the propaganda organs on a daily basis. We know much less about Ukraine's losses, but I suspect they've been a lot heavier than is generally realized or admitted.

The problem is this has become strictly a zero-sum game. The off-ramps were long ago closed off. There is no longer any scenario that can be dressed up as a "win" for both sides, which is what you need to get to some kind of deal. In other words, there is now no way out.

Re nukes, I don't see Russia resorting to that in order to "win." However, a desperate attempt to reset the chess board and prevent a disastrous defeat which could bring down the government and fracture the country? I don't think nukes can be ruled out in such a case.

One thing Putin knows: any use of a nuclear weapon...even, say, in some sort of demonstration mode...would cause an instant global panic and send shock waves sufficient to overturn some very comfortable apple carts throughout the West. This is a scenario the Regime wants no part of.

I mean, tough talk and a proxy war are one thing. Blowing up the world is quite another. The nuke threat gives Putin some real leverage, and he knows it. It's his ace card in what has become a poor hand. And my own opinion is he's willing to play it if driven to that point.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
As Ski pointed out, it will be months before those troops see the front, and God knows where they'll get the necessary equipment and armaments.

It's interesting that the Ukies haven't appeared to aggressively follow up their stunning success in the Kharkiv region. The situation seems to have remained more or less static since then, which equates to an advantage for Russia. Moscow would be happy to stand pat into the winter. For Ukraine, however, this is not a tenable situation long-term.

We know about Russian losses because they've been trumpeted by the propaganda organs on a daily basis. We know much less about Ukraine's losses, but I suspect they've been a lot heavier than is generally realized or admitted.

The problem is this has become strictly a zero-sum game. The off-ramps were long ago closed off. There is no longer any scenario that can be dressed up as a "win" for both sides, which is what you need to get to some kind of deal. In other words, there is now no way out.

Re nukes, I don't see Russia resorting to that in order to "win." However, a desperate attempt to reset the chess board and prevent a disastrous defeat which could bring down the government and fracture the country? I don't think nukes can be ruled out in such a case.

One thing Putin knows: any use of a nuclear weapon...even, say, in some sort of demonstration mode...would cause an instant global panic and send shock waves sufficient to overturn some very comfortable apple carts throughout the West. This is a scenario the Regime wants no part of.

I mean, tough talk and a proxy war are one thing. Blowing up the world is quite another. The nuke threat gives Putin some real leverage, and he knows it. It's his ace card in what has become a poor hand. And my own opinion is he's willing to play it if driven to that point.
The Ukes don’t have a large enough military to go full out. They need to consolidate their gains before any more major offensives. Resupply, rest tired troops, clear ordinance from captured territory, collect intel from the people. Look for an attempt sometime in Oct before it gets really cold or wet.

Putin won’t use nukes. Not only would the world go crazy if he did but his own people would be really pissed. Who wants to be known as the people that let that evil genie out of the box? And wouldn’t the winds carry radiation into Russia?

I think he threatens so for a couple reasons. One is to get the west to stop escalating their supply or weapons in both quantity and quality. The new rocket launchers were game changers and introducing any new high tech weapons into the mix could have major impact pact. Putin hopes to scare the west into restraint of such systems.

Another is to buy time. He needs to at the minimum maintain the status quo until winter. Make the west hesitate long enough for winter to take hold. Europe is already shutting down factories in an attempt to conserve energy. By winter the Euro economy will be In terrible shape and that will also do major damage to the US and global economy. Then, when we are at our weakest, he can shut off the oil and gas in the middle of a severe cold spell and watch Europe freeze. Use his agents to stir up protests and bring down governments.

No need for nukes when he controls our energy and our economy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry