ADVERTISEMENT

What may be the most important news of the day

You know this is "letter of intent" week, right?
8e8.gif

giphy.gif

He should worry about fixing his own religion before he gets involved in others. His reaction to the pedophile crisis has been beyond disappointing.

And yes, I'm a Catholic school kid, altar boy, married in the Church, so I am allowed to comment.
----
Raised a Catholic and I have serious issues with this Pope, including the child pedophilia issues. But having a Pope....any Pope.....visiting and being cheered on the Arabian Peninsula is a major event.

maybe month or even year;
The Pope is visiting the Arabian Peninsula, the papal visit there ever. He is in the UAE and gave a mass that was attended by 120,000 people including thousands of Muslims. He has met with many of the most influential Muslim leaders.

Could this be a major breakthrough between these religions?
Who cares, last time I checked we’re not actively recruiting anyone from the Arabian peninsula. Please get your priorities in order.

----
Raised a Catholic and I have serious issues with this Pope, including the child pedophilia issues. But having a Pope....any Pope.....visiting and being cheered on the Arabian Peninsula is a major event.
Totally agree. Its like saying CJF should concentrate on Curley and Schultz. He should get that situation straitened out before going to the next recruit's house.

And, as a catholic with a child in a catholic high school, profoundly troubled by the Church's lack of action taken in the late 2000s.

Reactions: NC2017
Who cares, last time I checked we’re not actively recruiting anyone from the Arabian peninsula. Please get your priorities in order.
Any possibility that Chris Ash has moved on from Europe to here? :)

The Pope is visiting the Arabian Peninsula, the papal visit there ever. He is in the UAE and gave a mass that was attended by 120,000 people including thousands of Muslims. He has met with many of the most influential Muslim leaders.

Hopefully he can make a joint announcement with the Saudi's Grand Mufti that they've been spouting total bullcrap for centuries and, in truth, have no idea what they are talking about. We were just in it for the power and money.

Reactions: moonpsu and nits74
He should worry about fixing his own religion before he gets involved in others. His reaction to the pedophile crisis has been beyond disappointing.

And yes, I'm a Catholic school kid, altar boy, married in the Church, so I am allowed to comment.
Amen to this. The only words out of this Pope’s mouth I am interested in hearing at this point is what he knew about McCarrick and when he knew it.

Any possibility that Chris Ash has moved on from Europe to here? :)
No, he’s working Somalia hard. It’s safer than facing the fans that want his head in Jersey, and he has no competition. Chris is pushing the new pirate linebacker position to the guys at the wharf

Reactions: Dr. Evel
Hopefully he can make a joint announcement with the Saudi's Grand Mufti that they've been spouting total bullcrap for centuries and, in truth, have no idea what they are talking about. We were just in it for the power and money.
Pigs will fly and streets will be paved with gold before that happens

Totally agree. Its like saying CJF should concentrate on Curley and Schultz. He should get that situation straitened out before going to the next recruit's house.

And, as a catholic with a child in a catholic high school, profoundly troubled by the Church's lack of action taken in the late 2000s.

Action in the late 2000's, now that is truly funny when I left the church in 1965 because of the pedofilia in the church in the 1950's and 60's. Why wasn't it addressed then or in the intervening 50 years?.... Seriously?

[/QUOTE]
I didn't know what sex was in 1965 as I was very young. As I got older, in the mid-70's I was aware of "weird dudes" but we didn't call it pedo. I've been fairly acitve in various Catholic churches but was never aware of the problem until 2001 when the Boston Globe did a series of articles on the systemic nature of the problem.

Today, in the day of Kavanaugh, Paterno and now the gov and lt gov of VA, we've got to be careful about claims and actionable claims. If you work with Juvi boys, in your career, you will be accused of sexual assault. Just count on it.

That is not to say what the church did is not sickening. But I am not going to damn an entire religion. As is with the boyscouts, MSU, tOSU, Penn state and any other organization, you've got problems.

Reactions: Howie'81

Without the OT, this thread emits a strange chemical smell.

Reactions: KnightSlayer
Serious question:

What does it mean to be "profoundly troubled"?

How does that manifest itself?
Great question. I stopped giving to charities. In fact, all charities. I adopted a child. I decided to take my charitable efforts in-house. Today, my daughter goes to a catholic school and I haven't attended a mass since Easter of 2018.

Great question. I stopped giving to charities. In fact, all charities. I adopted a child. I decided to take my charitable efforts in-house. Today, my daughter goes to a catholic school and I haven't attended a mass since Easter of 2018.

Hey - how does she like Catholic School? Has she been going since K? We're looking at independent schools (no Catholic ones though) and we have one parochial on the list but it's Episcopalian.

Hey - how does she like Catholic School? Has she been going since K? We're looking at independent schools (no Catholic ones though) and we have one parochial on the list but it's Episcopalian.

Frankly, k-8 were kind of tough. We are not from the area and live in a 'hood with no kids. As a result, the kids were very click-ish (is that a word) and she often felt left out. Now, in high school, she enjoys it much more. She is 6 months younger than everyone else and started out poorly (was in an orphanage until 14 months old and was born at 7.5 months). So her schooling has gone well but requires a lot of work and guidance (she also broke her elbow in July and had a lot of rehab to do so that set her back this year as well). The school she goes to now is very good. They stress holistic education so her STEM work is in the backdrop of a healthy life, life style and life choices. Every child is required to participate in other activities (clubs, sports, music, etc.) as it is part of the curriculum. It kind of helps with clicks. They brought in emotional support dogs for finals, which gave me a kick. They have this "learning center" where it is always staffed with upper class kids who get credits against their charity work for participating. You can walk up and ask any of them for help on homework or how to get started on a paper/project. Food is available from 7am to 6pm. So she can go early, and come home late and still have time to participate and eat. She often just stays at school until her homework is done.

Two of her friend's families drive ~ an hour everyday to attend this school. Recently, we were checking tuitions for in state schools. I'll actually save money on tuition, if she goes to an in-state college.

There are some awesome schools here (hathaway brown, hawken, lake ridge, university school, Gilmore, St. Ignatius, St. Joes, St. Eds, Magnificat, etc.). CLE used to be really, REALLY big money. People like Rockefeller and Carnegie had homes here. they used to race sleds in the winter after church on Euclid Avenue. Steel, rubber, cars....huge, huge industries. These families all started these schools many decades ago. I am sure Washington and NY have more and better, but CLE has surprisingly excellent schools.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Frankly, k-8 were kind of tough. We are not from the area and live in a 'hood with no kids. As a result, the kids were very click-ish (is that a word) and she often felt left out. Now, in high school, she enjoys it much more. She is 6 months younger than everyone else and started out poorly (was in an orphanage until 14 months old and was born at 7.5 months). So her schooling has gone well but requires a lot of work and guidance. The school she goes to now is very good. They stress holistic education so her STEM work is in the backdrop of a healthy life, life style and life choices. Every child is required to participate in other activities (clubs, sports, music, etc.) as it is part of the curriculum. It kind of helps with clicks. They brought in emotional support dogs for finals, which gave me a kick. They have this "learning center" where it is always staffed with upper class kids who get credits against their charity work for participating. You can walk up and ask any of them for help on homework or how to get started on a paper/project. Food is available from 7am to 6pm. So she can go early, and come home late and still have time to participate and eat. She often just stays at school until her homework is done.

Two of her friend's families drive ~ an hour everyday to attend this school. Recently, we were checking tuitions for in state schools. I'll actually save money on tuition, if she goes to an in-state college.

There are some awesome schools here (hathaway brown, hawken, lake ridge, university school, Gilmore, St. Ignatius, St. Joes, St. Eds, Magnificat, etc.). CLE used to be really, REALLY big money. People like Rockefeller and Carnegie had homes here. they used to race sleds in the winter after church on Euclid Avenue. Steel, rubber, cars....huge, huge industries. These families all started these schools many decades ago. I am sure Washington and NY have more and better, but CLE has surprisingly excellent schools.

We are concerned about the kids going to the school but not being from the same neighborhood too; we have friends who have been down that road and say it's mostly not an issue. The class sizes are small and I'm hopeful all the time spent at school with classmates (especially at a young age) will help develop lifelong friendships/bonds. We also value a 'whole child' approach to education and want healthy doses of arts, STEAM, athletics, service learning, etc. All the schools we're looking at are similar in that regard (not the academic 'pressure cookers'). One issue we're becoming 'more' aware of is the *extremely wealthy* types who are looking at the same schools. I didn't think much about it until my summer intern, who attended an elite private school in Manhattan (he's at an Ivy League university now) told me how big of a deal it was for a while for him since he came from a pretty modest household. Of course, at one school visit we saw one of the Washington Capitols (an elite player) with his child participating in the same visit as our daughter and I was like, uhhh.....? :)

Reactions: Obliviax
We are concerned about the kids going to the school but not being from the same neighborhood too; we have friends who have been down that road and say it's mostly not an issue. The class sizes are small and I'm hopeful all the time spent at school with classmates (especially at a young age) will help develop lifelong friendships/bonds. We also value a 'whole child' approach to education and want healthy doses of arts, STEAM, athletics, service learning, etc. All the schools we're looking at are similar in that regard (not the academic 'pressure cookers'). One issue we're becoming 'more' aware of is the *extremely wealthy* types who are looking at the same schools. I didn't think much about it until my summer intern, who attended an elite private school in Manhattan (he's at an Ivy League university now) told me how big of a deal it was for a while for him since he came from a pretty modest household. Of course, at one school visit we saw one of the Washington Capitols (an elite player) with his child participating in the same visit as our daughter and I was like, uhhh.....? :)

Agree with everything you just wrote. I've got a very, very wealthy friend who refused to put his daughter into a private school (he is also very religious, his graduation present from high school was the two of them did a one-month missionary to Kyrgyzstan). He wanted her to experience the diversity of a public school. Funny, she graduated at the top of her class from UC San Diego and for her Masters at NYU. With all of that, she is finishing up an internship to become a Sommelier at a top restaurant in Manhattan. Her husband is a hedge fund guy. It drives my friend nuts that she wants to be a sommelier.

Bottom line is that kids have to realize that they make it what it is. I had this convo with a nephew at a super bowl party. He's getting offer to play lacrosse at some smaller schools but also wants to go to tOSU or some other named school. i told him that he'd make of it what he wants. At the end of the day, you choose your work ethic and your grades. life is about maximizing and minimizing. For a kid pre-8th grade, it is about giving her as much exposure and letting her choose her path. Its all about accomplishment, in whatever that means to you.

What I find especially infuriating are the admonishments from the toady little Vatican spokesmen, saying “ You impatient Americans just expect this to be cleared up by the next news cycle “. BS. This has been going on most of my adult life and I am 57. It never seems to end and the people in charge never seem to learn and frankly don’t seem to care.
What has become apparent to me is that a large number of these so - called leaders don’t believe the faith they allege to profess. They seem more like career politicans than anything else.

I didn't know what sex was in 1965 as I was very young. As I got older, in the mid-70's I was aware of "weird dudes" but we didn't call it pedo. I've been fairly acitve in various Catholic churches but was never aware of the problem until 2001 when the Boston Globe did a series of articles on the systemic nature of the problem.

Today, in the day of Kavanaugh, Paterno and now the gov and lt gov of VA, we've got to be careful about claims and actionable claims. If you work with Juvi boys, in your career, you will be accused of sexual assault. Just count on it.

That is not to say what the church did is not sickening. But I am not going to damn an entire religion. As is with the boyscouts, MSU, tOSU, Penn state and any other organization, you've got problems.[/QUOTE]
My high school is prominently portrayed in the Globe investigation and in the movie Spotlight (Boston College High School). In fact I was a student there when Father Talbot was teaching (early 80's). Then one of the worst offenders in the entire Boston archdiocese scandal was rector at my church in Hingham, MA. I still think we have only been scratching the surface in a number of other areas... it is just so overwhelming to get you head around. When I die, if am lucky enough to make it to heaven and Cardinal Law is there I will be really pissed off.

Agree with everything you just wrote. I've got a very, very wealthy friend who refused to put his daughter into a private school (he is also very religious, his graduation present from high school was the two of them did a one-month missionary to Kyrgyzstan). He wanted her to experience the diversity of a public school. Funny, she graduated at the top of her class from UC San Diego and for her Masters at NYU. With all of that, she is finishing up an internship to become a Sommelier at a top restaurant in Manhattan. Her husband is a hedge fund guy. It drives my friend nuts that she wants to be a sommelier.

Bottom line is that kids have to realize that they make it what it is. I had this convo with a nephew at a super bowl party. He's getting offer to play lacrosse at some smaller schools but also wants to go to tOSU or some other named school. i told him that he'd make of it what he wants. At the end of the day, you choose your work ethic and your grades. life is about maximizing and minimizing. For a kid pre-8th grade, it is about giving her as much exposure and letting her choose her path. Its all about accomplishment, in whatever that means to you.
one other issue...was thinking about this....so one note of caution.

Many of these church related elementary schools are not the clicks of the kids but of the parents. My daughter's first school was dominated by four women: One was the wife of a judge, one was the wife of a very wealthy investment banker, one was the principle (who was the Judge's cousin) and their best friend who lived next door and was the gym teacher. All fo these girls were large and lived within a few blocks of each other. They vacation together over spring break, dine, party etc. Well, my daughter really liked playing basketball and developed a killer 3 point set shot even though she isn't very physical. The school decided to have an A team and get rid of the B team (CYO league). These people, plus a few others, campaigned my wife and i to not have our daughter try out. In fact, the lady who was president of the CYO called me to ask me to not have my daughter try out. When pressed, she said she was afraid my daughter would get hurt. I asked if they had refs and if they were allowed to foul...then asked how she could get hurt beyond a bloody lip or high ankle sprain. Turns out, it was bullshit. The four girls are really good. They wanted to recruit three other girls to have a 7 person team. In CYO, every kid has to play every half. So they wanted to fill the team with good players. They won the championship three years in a row and got scholarships to one of the other prominent girls schools (mission accomplished). My wife is no shrinking violet. She blew the cabal up but not before the damage was done.

In any case, ask what checks and balances they have in place to mitigate these situations. These churches can become cabals very quickly and do what major contributors want. Still, this can happen at any school but with the smaller church related schools, seems to be more prevalent. Finally, a Frosh who is in my daughter's class is a 6' 2" freshmen who is a starter on the sr high volleyball team. Her father is former NFL. When she spikes the whole place chants "freshman, freshman, freshman....". I am trying to talk her into PSU.

one other issue...was thinking about this....so one note of caution.

Many of these church related elementary schools are not the clicks of the kids but of the parents. My daughter's first school was dominated by four women: One was the wife of a judge, one was the wife of a very wealthy investment banker, one was the principle (who was the Judge's cousin) and their best friend who lived next door and was the gym teacher. All fo these girls were large and lived within a few blocks of each other. They vacation together over spring break, dine, party etc. Well, my daughter really liked playing basketball and developed a killer 3 point set shot even though she isn't very physical. The school decided to have an A team and get rid of the B team (CYO league). These people, plus a few others, campaigned my wife and i to not have our daughter try out. In fact, the lady who was president of the CYO called me to ask me to not have my daughter try out. When pressed, she said she was afraid my daughter would get hurt. I asked if they had refs and if they were allowed to foul...then asked how she could get hurt beyond a bloody lip or high ankle sprain. Turns out, it was bullshit. The four girls are really good. They wanted to recruit three other girls to have a 7 person team. In CYO, every kid has to play every half. So they wanted to fill the team with good players. They won the championship three years in a row and got scholarships to one of the other prominent girls schools (mission accomplished). My wife is no shrinking violet. She blew the cabal up but not before the damage was done.

In any case, ask what checks and balances they have in place to mitigate these situations. These churches can become cabals very quickly and do what major contributors want. Still, this can happen at any school but with the smaller church related schools, seems to be more prevalent. Finally, a Frosh who is in my daughter's class is a 6' 2" freshmen who is a starter on the sr high volleyball team. Her father is former NFL. When she spikes the whole place chants "freshman, freshman, freshman....". I am trying to talk her into PSU.

We've met a few parents at Q&A's and get the sense (at least superficially) that the communities are pretty tight and welcoming. The one parochial school we're looking at (out of five total) has a very light touch wrt it's religious component (weekly chapel, 'religious' class once a week) so that doesn't bother us. I can see getting into a situation where what you described could happen. It's not something we really thought of (since organized sports are a few years down the road) but will keep in mind going forward. Additionally, is your daughter's school only K-8? Separate campuses?

We've met a few parents at Q&A's and get the sense (at least superficially) that the communities are pretty tight and welcoming. The one parochial school we're looking at (out of five total) has a very light touch wrt it's religious component (weekly chapel, 'religious' class once a week) so that doesn't bother us. I can see getting into a situation where what you described could happen. It's not something we really thought of (since organized sports are a few years down the road) but will keep in mind going forward. Additionally, is your daughter's school only K-8? Separate campuses?
very good. we got out daughter out of the first school and into a second. The first school started with 22 girls. My daughter was the 7th one left. So, between the four, there were two left when my daughter quit. Coincidentally, the one girl was adopted from China and her mom is a very good civil rights attorney (she is a hard dem, her husband owns a small business and is hard right). The other mom is the sister of a PSU national champion offensive lineman and is a Dr. at the CLE Clinic. The common thread is that the three moms (my wife and the other two) are kick ass MoFo moms. I had to get my wife to back off as she was going to hurt my daughter's chances while she made her point.

Anyway, best of luck. it is all fun and awesome in the end. Everyone's journey is unique.

You may have seen the movie "Spotlight" that focused on the diocese of Boston. I just finished the book it was based on. The book is titled "Betrayal: Crisis in the Catholic Church". The book, as usual offers more than the movie. I did learn that Pope John Paul was a staunch defender of canon law and did everything he could to keep the issue in house. Pope Benedict was a clone of John Pauil in that regard. He was, after all, appointed as a Cardinal by John Paul. Pope Francis is more open to allowing civil law to intercede. They're working on it, finally, but hopefuly it's not too little, too late.

Last edited:
I didn't know what sex was in 1965 as I was very young. As I got older, in the mid-70's I was aware of "weird dudes" but we didn't call it pedo. I've been fairly acitve in various Catholic churches but was never aware of the problem until 2001 when the Boston Globe did a series of articles on the systemic nature of

That is not to say what the church did is not sickening. But I am not going to damn an entire religion. As is with the boyscouts, MSU, tOSU, Penn state and any other organization, you've got problems.[/QUOTE

I never condemned the Catholic Church, although I told every adult in the church that would listen that Pedofilia was rampant among Priests, Bishops and Cardinals. No one would believe me. So, I left the church because family members kept putting pressure on me to become an alterboy and more involved in the church. I faced some hellacious wrath from some members of my family when I joined a Lutheran church. I did it for one reason only, protect myself from the Chocolate Banana.

Last edited:
What I find especially infuriating are the admonishments from the toady little Vatican spokesmen, saying “ You impatient Americans just expect this to be cleared up by the next news cycle “. BS. This has been going on most of my adult life and I am 57. It never seems to end and the people in charge never seem to learn and frankly don’t seem to care.
What has become apparent to me is that a large number of these so - called leaders don’t believe the faith they allege to profess. They seem more like career politicans than anything else.

I am 67 and it was going on decades before you were born and not just in the US.

Reactions: nits74

I agree entirely. And I think he should get his butt down to Honduras, Guatemala, and other countries down there and rip into those government and church leaders for being so corrupt that millions of their people need to resort to human traffickers to sneak over our border.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT