ADVERTISEMENT

What is the benefit of having 100% shotgun snaps on offense?

dcf4psu

Nov 7, 2003
State College
At a tailgate yesterday we laughed when I said weren't we all wondering many years ago when Joe was going to put a QB into the shotgun? Now we wonder if we'll ever see a QB behind center.

I do have to wonder what the reasoning is. Doesn't that make almost all running plays a draw play? I know many other teams do the same thing, but I still don't understand the logic.

The other reason I bring it up was because I was watching the highlights of the 4-OT game against Michigan the other day and it was very strange to see the QB for PSU under center. Frankly more so than seeing the names on the jerseys.

the only real benefit is it gives the QB a better chance to see what the defense is showing and a little bit more time, but other then that I do not think it has a huge advantage.

At a tailgate yesterday we laughed when I said weren't we all wondering many years ago when Joe was going to put a QB into the shotgun? Now we wonder if we'll ever see a QB behind center.

I do have to wonder what the reasoning is. Doesn't that make almost all running plays a draw play? I know many other teams do the same thing, but I still don't understand the logic.

The other reason I bring it up was because I was watching the highlights of the 4-OT game against Michigan the other day and it was very strange to see the QB for PSU under center. Frankly more so than seeing the names on the jerseys.
One of the things Franklin mentioned a few years ago is they would then have to practice the QB under the center snaps. Just one more thing to shoehorn into a procate. For what it is worth.

Reactions: Nitt1300
In theory it helps time up the blocking assignments better. That is the blocks are being executed when the back is just hitting the hole. It’s s theory

Personally I think they should go under center every once in a while, give the D something more to think about.
But an advantage in going out of the shotgun in the running game is the QB has an easier time running the ball out because he doesn’t have to run backwards after the snap.
I think PSU’s plan is to always have the QB as a threat to run the ball.
But I do like the QB under center for QB sneaks on short yardage and for good old fashioned pitch plays to the RB.

Personally I think they should go under center every once in a while, give the D something more to think about.
But an advantage in going out of the shotgun in the running game is the QB has an easier time running the ball out because he doesn’t have to run backwards after the snap.
I think PSU’s plan is to always have the QB as a threat to run the ball.
But I do like the QB under center for QB sneaks on short yardage and for good old fashioned pitch plays to the RB.
Or to be able to run out the clock.

Reactions: JeffClear
the only real benefit is it gives the QB a better chance to see what the defense is showing and a little bit more time, but other then that I do not think it has a huge advantage.
that IS a huge advantage, plus you have to practice the exchange if you want to also go under center (unless fumbled snaps are ok with you)

#1 - take a bad snap out of the equation. #2 gives the running backs a better chance to run the ball as opposed to always being handed the ball when flat footed. Why would you stay in the shotgun to run out the clock? How well has that worked for PSU? It didn't yesterday.

that IS a huge advantage, plus you have to practice the exchange if you want to also go under center (unless fumbled snaps are ok with you)

Do you think with or without practice under center is more of a risk of fumbles than a shotgun?

No matter how many times you practice the shotgun, throwing a ball to someone is more risky than handing it to them.

Perhaps if the QB took zero snaps under center you'd have an argument... I could see that.

The reason for the shotgun has nothing to do with ball safety. It has mostly to do with the QB in position to make plays immediately instead of having a 3-5 step drop.

LdN

Do you think with or without practice under center is more of a risk of fumbles than a shotgun?

No matter how many times you practice the shotgun, throwing a ball to someone is more risky than handing it to them.

Perhaps if the QB took zero snaps under center you'd have an argument... I could see that.

The reason for the shotgun has nothing to do with ball safety. It has mostly to do with the QB in position to make plays immediately instead of having a 3-5 step drop.

LdN
yes, I do

and bad snaps create a high risk of turnovers

so doing them without adequate practice is a recipe for trouble- and if it's not going to be a real part of your offense (and clearly it isn't) why would you either waste limited practice time OR risk doing it without adequate practice?

I'd need a better reason than a bunch of fans calling for it

yes, I do

and bad snaps create a high risk of turnovers

so doing them without adequate practice is a recipe for trouble- and if it's not going to be a real part of your offense (and clearly it isn't) why would you either waste limited practice time OR risk doing it without adequate practice?

I'd need a better reason than a bunch of fans calling for it

Bad snaps do create high risk of turnovers. The Shotgun Snap is considerably more risky than handing the ball to the QB.

LdN

Bad snaps do create high risk of turnovers. The Shotgun Snap is considerably more risky than handing the ball to the QB.

LdN
which is why if that's your offence (it is) you want all of your practice snaps to be from the shotgun

LdN
agreed- but doing either without adequate practice is the biggest risk- and unless you are going to use it, wasting practice time on direct snaps takes time away from practicing shotgun snaps

face it- we aren't going to do it enough to bother doing it at all- might as well ask for a few plays out of the wishbone

agreed- but doing either without adequate practice is the biggest risk- and unless you are going to use it, wasting practice time on direct snaps takes time away from practicing shotgun snaps

face it- we aren't going to do it enough to bother doing it at all- might as well ask for a few plays out of the wishbone

Snaps arent that compicated.
Lets not overthink this. A regular snap is the center handing the ball to the qb.

A shotgun is the center throwing the ball to the qb.

One is safer.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT