ADVERTISEMENT

What IF the OL gels faster than expected? Can we finish 10-2 or even 11-1?

well... I don't think the OL will gel far enough or quick enough.....but 10-2 is definitely within the realm of possibility. 11-1 is a long shot. I believe we have a 2 win improvement....9-3 and then a bowl win to 10-3. We'll lose to tOSU and MSU....and will lose one we should have won.

With this schedule, this is possible, but ONLY if the OL gels by or before B1G play! Your thoughts?
What if it doesn't gel at all? Ah, it's May and I'll be optimistic. I've been saying 9-3, but OK, if it gels sooner, I can see 10-2. I really don't see 11-1, especially with Rutgers on the schedule.:D

It's May, so anything is possible. Heck, by the time August rolls around I'll probably be looking at tickets to the NC game. ;) Realistically however, I would be shocked (albeit elated) if we finished 10-2 or 11-1. Not only would the oline have to take significant leaps over what it was last season, but every other position would have to step up as well - Hack, RB, middle lber, kicker, etc. I think 8-4 or 9-3 is realistic and we maybe get to 10 wins with a bowl win.

With this schedule, this is possible, but ONLY if the OL gels by or before B1G play! Your thoughts?

The bottom line is this OL has to improve quite a bit in order for PSU to reach 10 games. The ground game doesn't have to be dominant, but it has to move the ball far better than it did last year on the ground. Hack also has to manage the game better and realize he has a good defense. He can't have 10+ INT's this year and the staff as a whole has to do a better job protecting him and keeping him out of 3rd and long. I'm not even sure how he finished last year upright, but the OL/TE's need to improve quite a bit all around for 10 wins.

I've seen a ton of people talking about 10 wins, but 8 is a bit more realisitic IMO. The LT spot is a HUGE concern right now and that cannot be overlooked. The OG play last year was subpar, but they were all green so there is some hope there that maybe they take a step forward. The TE's were not great blockers last year and they really need to step up this year in that department. The offensive staff must tailor this offense to move the sticks and realize punting is not a bad thing sometimes. Johnson and Zettel will control quite a few teams so it's imperative not to give up any free possessions.

ADVERTISEMENT