ADVERTISEMENT

What I Learned Today - People Must Owe Jerry Reinsdorf

mrtailgate

Feb 2, 2005
Harold Baines is even shocked about the Hall vote. Listen, he was a nice player but there are a lot of players now comparing their baseball cards to Baines. Fred McGriff always scared me as a player a LOT more than Harold Baines.

Dick Allen, come on down!

Reinsdorf must have done a lot of talking.

Harold Baines is even shocked about the Hall vote. Listen, he was a nice player but there are a lot of players now comparing their baseball cards to Baines. Fred McGriff always scared me as a player a LOT more than Harold Baines.

Dick Allen, come on down!

Reinsdorf must have done a lot of talking.

Agreed. Good post. Definitely croneyism.

Baines was a good Major Leaguer for a good period of time. Absolutely. But he was never anywhere near elite. The only HOF Baines is an appropriate choice for is the "Hall of nice guys that were above-average Designated Hitters but couldn't be trusted to play at all in the field because they weren't good defensively."

Between this and Jack Morris last year, I'm beginning to wonder if this Veteran's Committee needs their votes taken away. They did make an excellent selection last year in Alan Trammell. But Baines is absolutely indefensible.

Larry Walker, Dale Murphy and Dwight Evans now have someone to point to as regards their HOF case. Walker: it's indefensible that he is NOT in as of yet. Great underrated 5-tool player. Irregardless of the fact that he played in Colorado for several years (which, yes, did inflate his stats).

Last edited:
Baines was popular with sportswriters, nice guy, totally professional. I’m guessing this has something to do with his getting sent to Cooperstown. But of all the things to get bent out of shape about, this ranks pretty low for me.

ADVERTISEMENT