ADVERTISEMENT

What happened on first play last dribe?

ritaith

Nov 8, 2001
I thought if the ball
Went behind line of scrimmage it was a live ball.

Has that rule changed?

Was
A pretty big play...

I thought if the ball
Went behind line of scrimmage it was a live ball.

Has that rule changed?

Was
A pretty big play...
They said Qb arm moving forward so incomplete pass.
Didn't matter that the ball went backwards as the qb arm was moving forward when hit

Reactions: bytir
Perriera said if the arm is moving forward, which it was, it doesn't matter if the ball goes forwards or backwards, it is a forward pass.
I assume he knows the rules since that is his job, but it does suck

They said Qb arm moving forward so incomplete pass.
Didn't matter that the ball went backwards as the qb arm was moving forward when hit
Yes it would because a “backwards pass” is by definition a “lateral”

I'm no expert but if the arm was going forward, how did the ball land 1 yard behind the release point? No matter how you slice it, we got screwed there. It was either a fumble or a lateral. There's no other possibility. I dare anyone to throw the ball forward and have it land 1 yard behind them!

Reactions: BBrown
I'm no expert but if the arm was going forward, how did the ball land 1 yard behind the release point? No matter how you slice it, we got screwed there. It was either a fumble or a lateral. There's no other possibility. I dare anyone to throw the ball forward and have it land 1 yard behind them!
He intended to throw it forward. Delaney said so. So it is.

Seriously, if that is the rule there is way too much judgment involved. Was he throwing to the rb in the flat or the te 2 yards over line or wr downfield?

I'm not sure I've ever seen an "arm going forward" but the ball going backwards scenario. But, it was correct(see b):

Forward and Backward Pass ARTICLE 2.

a.
A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)

b. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or ball after forward movement begins and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player (A.R. 2-19-2-I).

c. When in question, the ball is passed and not fumbled during an attempted forward pass. (Exception: Games using Instant Replay

ADVERTISEMENT