ADVERTISEMENT

What good are conferences that are so big

Your mistake is you are thinking about it like a sports fan.

From the schools and conference point of view: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reactions: Alphalion75
Your mistake is you are thinking about it like a sports fan.

From the schools and conference point of view: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
yep - I feel like the OP, but that is the sports fan. I have to wonder if conferences just created partnerships to drive the economics might be a more efficient way to get similar economic results. you could still get the big matchups that come from the combination, but get it easier. you would only miss the cost savings of eliminating a conference.

that you only play 1/2 the teams in a given year? I say we go back to the old model where the conferences were pretty much regionalized.

Another absolute mess at the doorstep of the NCAA.

Again, the NCAA has nothing to do with this. The Power 5 run college football and this is jockeying among the haves who want more.

Again, the NCAA has nothing to do with this. The Power 5 run college football and this is jockeying among the haves who want more.
You are partly right. TV runs college football. Frankly, I have no problem with this concept. Just as long as teams have a path to a championship. The money is a good thing for the schools and the game in general.

I think it would be fine, actually. kind of like when MLB didn't have lots of divisions, just a few giant ones that were very hard to win.

they'd probably have to phase out OOC games, which would be good as far as I am concerned. PSU has scheduled some utterly ridiculous ones since the mid 2000s.

the mistake is to make it solely about $/school in the near-term. It takes some actual vision to make the best conference for the long-term. it will require some very strong leaders from the schools, who are able put ESPN and Fox in a place where they are just along for the ride. Easier said than done, but, you can always hold it over the networks that you are talking to their competitors.

You are partly right. TV runs college football. Frankly, I have no problem with this concept. Just as long as teams have a path to a championship. The money is a good thing for the schools and the game in general.

Whatever arrangement is worked out, the NCAA will have nothing to do with it except an after-the-fact sanctioning of any additional games necessary.

Reactions: psuro
I think this SEC deal only has a 50% of going through now. If the SEC deal & corresponding reaction by the Big10 end up causing the breakups of the B12, P12, & ACC, I think there is going to be a lot of pissed off people. You are really screwing with a lot of people's livelihoods now and I would not be surprised to see Congress get involved.

I think this SEC deal only has a 50% of going through now. If the SEC deal & corresponding reaction by the Big10 end up causing the breakups of the B12, P12, & ACC, I think there is going to be a lot of pissed off people. You are really screwing with a lot of people's livelihoods now and I would not be surprised to see Congress get involved.
More likely some SEC schools sabotage it for whatever reason. Agree it is less than 100%

ADVERTISEMENT