ADVERTISEMENT

What do opponents see when they see the Penn State singlet?

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
Apologies in advance since I don't have the links, bit I have heard so many intimidating quotes...Kyle Snyder said when he saw the singlet he felt a certain way about it...others have said its almost as if the singlet itself is worth 4 points...lol.

Apologies in advance since I don't have the links, bit I have heard so many intimidating quotes...Kyle Snyder said when he saw the singlet he felt a certain way about it...others have said its almost as if the singlet itself is worth 4 points...lol.
giphy.gif

Reactions: AgSurfer
Any D-1 wrestler with the requisite confidence should be thinking about winning. Wrestlers who doubt themselves probably are intimidated. I’d bet that Snyder simply thought wrestling against a top team was exciting.

How many times did Snyder lose to a Penn State wrestler, Gunsie?

My memory is failing me right now, but wasn't there a dual where Snyder needed bonus and Nevills kept it close?
Yep, 2018 in Rec Hall when tOSU came out in their bright red robes. Snyder needed to major Nevills and win by (11 or 12 points) for tOSU to win the dual on criteria and Nevills kept it to a regular decision. Still not a win over Snyder but as el jefe linked McIntosh did beat Snyder in the BIG finals in 2015.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Yep, 2018 in Rec Hall when tOSU came out in their bright red robes. Snyder needed to major Nevills and win by (11 or 12 points) for tOSU to win the dual on criteria and Nevills kept it to a regular decision. Still not a win over Snyder but as el jefe linked McIntosh did beat Snyder in the BIG finals in 2015.
11 or 12? Was that for the tiebreaker?

My memory is failing me right now, but wasn't there a dual where Snyder needed bonus and Nevills kept it close?
Yep, and for the record we were Nolfless.

'Wasnt there a dual....? '

Come on man that was 'the' dual, probably the most anticipated best in a decade match up. Complete with Ryan and the tOSU team talking smack leading up to it. It also featured Cassar taking out Moore to get to the Nevills' match. Cael was once again genius with that selection.

I think Snyder just hated finishing 2nd to PSU 3 times as a team, obviously individually, he was fine.

Especially 2018 when they went all in to advertise their championship in Cleveland before they earned it.

Snyder needed to throw Nevills and or turn him somehow to get the win for OSU in 2018. He needed to win by like 13 for Ohio State to gain criteria and he was not catch and releasing Nevills 13 times. I bet Snyder expected Nevills to just hold position for 7 minutes but then Nevills shocked him and got the first takedown.

But reality is Nick was great but Snyder was definitely good for a major over him during regular circumstances.

Yep, and for the record we were Nolfless.

'Wasnt there a dual....? '

Come on man that was 'the' dual, probably the most anticipated best in a decade match up. Complete with Ryan and the tOSU team talking smack leading up to it. It also featured Cassar taking out Moore to get to the Nevills' match. Cael was once again genius with that selection.
That was one of the loudest, amped up Rec Hall crowds that I remember. I think most PSU fan's thought that without Nolf it was going to be pretty tough to pull out a win. Bo's major, then Cassar's upset of Moore and Nick keeping it to a decision, blew the dust off the rafters. Great PSU Wrestling memory for me and I still have the recording that never gets old!

Snyder needed to throw Nevills and or turn him somehow to get the win for OSU in 2018. He needed to win by like 13 for Ohio State to gain criteria and he was not catch and releasing Nevills 13 times. I bet Snyder expected Nevills to just hold position for 7 minutes but then Nevills shocked him and got the first takedown.

But reality is Nick was great but Snyder was definitely good for a major over him during regular circumstances.
And Snyder had just come back from Yarygin - dude did everything possible to win for his team. Biggest blame goes to the ever-improving MyMar who gave up with 5 seconds to go and gave up a major.

I don't know...all Kollin Moore had to do was beat a backup.
There's a lot of blame to go around on THE Ohio State side ...

Tomasello likely gets a TF if he doesn't get headlocked by a guy who found himself on the mat when his DeLorean hit 88 mph.

Campbell and Martin both got majored by disinterest in getting off bottom.

Bo Jordan did well with the hand he was dealt.

Moore lost to a backup who in the following year proved awfully good, but at the time had never beaten any NCAA medalist (or any eventual placers).

Snyder gave up zero takedowns at Yarygin, then let a good but not great college wrestler take him down twice.

There's a lot of blame to go around on THE Ohio State side ...

Tomasello likely gets a TF if he doesn't get headlocked by a guy who found himself on the mat when his DeLorean hit 88 mph.

Campbell and Martin both got majored by disinterest in getting off bottom.

Bo Jordan did well with the hand he was dealt.

Moore lost to a backup who in the following year proved awfully good, but at the time had never beaten any NCAA medalist (or any eventual placers).

Snyder gave up zero takedowns at Yarygin, then let a good but not great college wrestler take him down twice.
Snyder: “…..and Hell is coming with me.”

Hell:

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
There was a good line from suriano a while back when they interviewed him before the Rutgers-Penn State duel. He was like I told the team they’re coming in with the mindset to dominate and score as many points as possible.

Reactions: mcpat
They see a slightly more decorated singlet than Iowa except the Penn State singlet gets all over you. The Iowa singlet has coaches getting all over you yapping. Like walking thru a dog kennel to get your dog and go home.

Imagine what was going thru Ryan’s mind the last 14:05 of that dual. He went from having it won to Bo turning MyMar in the final secs for a bonus point, his undefeated #1 ranked wrestler at 197 losing to a lightly recruited backup and then his World/Olympic/NCAA champ heavyweight gave up the opening TD and had to fight tooth and nail for a regular decision win.

Last edited:

Q. What do opponents see when they see the Penn State singlet?​

A. (Spoken in my most menacing Clubber Lang voice)……..PAIN

Imagine what was going thru Ryan’s mind the last 14:05 of that dual. He went from having it won to Bo turning MyMar in the final secs for a bonus point, his undefeated #1 ranked wrestler at 197 losing to a lightly recruited backup and then his World/Olympic/NCAA champ heavyweight gave up the opening TD and had to fight tooth and nail for a regular decision win.
The other great thing about that night is they gave away bobbleheads. Bo, Jason, Mark and Zain bobbleheads.

Not how we would have handled it.

Reactions: creamery freak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT