ADVERTISEMENT

What book(s) are you currently reading?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
51Gf-qKd1mL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I’m reading When the Lions Roared by Bill Contz. The story of the ’82 Nittany Lions which happened to be my junior year and first year at main campus. I’ve read some stories that I haven’t heard before. I’m up to Sugar Bowl week and can’t wait to find out how we do against Herschel Walker and #1 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl! Who doesn't love a happy ending?

51wTnfyViUL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just finished "The Making of the Atomic Bomb," and decided to read this, for the second time.

During the summer I usually do multiple novels by a single writer; I'm at this point undecided between Thomas Hardy and Richard Russo. Probably will do Hardy; it's been a while since I've read Jude the Obscure.

Good reads Jim?

Reactions: wme208
Obsidian Chamber by Preston and Child.

Just finished Killing England by OReilly and Andrew Jackson Miracle at New Orleans. Really enjoyed that one.

Just finished the latest Pendergast book, City of Endless Night. It was ok.
I'm a big Preston and Child fan but nothing they've done recently comes close to Relic, Thunderhead (my favorite), Cabinet of Curosities and Mt. Dragon.

Reactions: PSU87
Today I will finish Stalin's Spy (about Richard Sorge) by Robert Whymant. I had mentioned this book in mid January and normally would have finished it much sooner, but got tied up with some projects and am now about 30 pages from the end. I told Tom I'd give a review, and I will in a day or so.

I’m reading When the Lions Roared by Bill Contz. The story of the ’82 Nittany Lions which happened to be my junior year and first year at main campus. I’ve read some stories that I haven’t heard before. I’m up to Sugar Bowl week and can’t wait to find out how we do against Herschel Walker and #1 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl! Who doesn't love a happy ending?

Almost done with Robert McCammons's Freedom from the Mask and awaiting the release of his The Listener.

"The Wrong Side of Goodbye", a Harry Bosch novel, by Michael Connelly. Just decided to pick up and finish "Catcher in the Rye". Read it 50 years ago. Not sure what makes it a classic, but that Holden Caulfield was a real asshole. Didn't see in the book where he matriculated at Pitt.

Reactions: b&w1987 and PSU87

The Book of Luke.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I've given up books for two things: I read a ton of industry stuff for my job and I have discovered how to download on Amazon Prime and Netflix which has eaten into my airplane reading time.

I particularly liked watching JB Smoove on Seinfelds Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. He looked around at a small shop and saw some Asian people eating with chopsticks and said something like "jeeze, these Chinese are really sticking with those chopsticks." (like, we now have easier stuff to eat with, why keep eating with two sticks? Seinfeld cracked up).

Reactions: Chickenman Testa

Rocket Man, the story of Robert Goddard and his work on rocket science. On deck is the story of Ramanjuan, I’m no mathematician but I like science history.

I've given up books for two things: I read a ton of industry stuff for my job and I have discovered how to download on Amazon Prime and Netflix which has eaten into my airplane reading time.
Growing up I read a ton of literature and for a while thought I'd major in Lit. I don't read as much as I used to but going back to read a well-crafted book every now and then is always a pleasure.

Agree.They're kind of all over the map with Pendergast.. From good to meh.

+100. I thought City of Night has been one of their better efforts though.
I kind of think they are on the James Patterson book writing formula and that is not a good path to go down. INMO.LOL.

The Darkest Hour - great book and looking forward to the movie.
Speaking of that, was watching History Channel on the North Africa campaign....they said that there was a US colonel who was assigned to observe the Brits before Pearl and our involvement. Churchill wanted us in the war so gave the guy unprecedented access. The Colonel wrote a nightly recap, coded it and it was sent to Roosevelt. Well, the Italians stole the code book in Rome, took photos and replaced it so we didn't know the code was broken. Rommel was getting daily updates as to what the Brits were doing which is why he was so good in N. Africa. I never knew that.

Reactions: Mr. Potter
Speaking of that, was watching History Channel on the North Africa campaign....they said that there was a US colonel who was assigned to observe the Brits before Pearl and our involvement. Churchill wanted us in the war so gave the guy unprecedented access. The Colonel wrote a nightly recap, coded it and it was sent to Roosevelt. Well, the Italians stole the code book in Rome, took photos and replaced it so we didn't know the code was broken. Rommel was getting daily updates as to what the Brits were doing which is why he was so good in N. Africa. I never knew that.
Very interesting - never heard that either

Reactions: JoeFi
Just started Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker

It was recommended by Bill Gates recently and it looked interesting.

That’s a new one, interesting.
I seem to recall, but could be wrong, that a lot of records that the British have were supposed to be released 75 years after Churchill’s death. There has been a lot of speculation that he knew that Pearl Harbor was imminent but did not alert FDR.

Reactions: Scott beach

Signature of God by Grant Jeffries

51LVoMqkvWL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Award-winning Civil War historian Noah Andre Trudeau has written a gripping, definitive account that will stand as the last word on General William Tecumseh Sherman's epic march—a targeted strategy aimed to break not only the Confederate army but an entire society as well. Sherman's swath of destruction spanned more than sixty miles in width and virtually cut Georgia in two. He led more than 60,000 Union troops to blaze a path from Atlanta to Savannah, ordering his men to burn crops, kill livestock, and lay waste to everything that fed the Rebel war machine.

Told through the intimate and engrossing writings of Sherman's soldiers and the civilians who suffered in their wake, Southern Storm paints a vibrant picture of an event that would forever change America's course.
Amazon product ASIN 0060598689

I am reading that while waiting for the 6th book in the The Familiar series.
https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Z.-Danielewski/e/B000APTSK8/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1518125522&sr=1-1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT