ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on why after 85, 86

Let’s also not forget another element of cheating - steroids- became commonplace in the 80s and some programs relied heavily on roids (Nebraska) to offset the talent gap.
If you think Penn State wasn’t using them I got a bridge to sell you. The problem with Penn State strength program was not chemistry.

Story on the recruiting class from 1988. Any of you Western, PA guys remember Eric Renkey?88 class
I have that Ken Denlinger book, “ For The Glory” that covered that recruiting class and featured Renkey, among others. Lots of injuries and recruits in that class that just never panned out due to personal and academic issues.

It was a lot more than a few QBs; although the QB recruiting whiffs were critical. It was a lack of speed and skill at skill positions on O and D, especially with depth. The drop off between starters and the rest of the depth chart was huge. And although Joe famously anecdotally played some FR and SO, he mostly made players at all positions “wait their turn”, and 4 and 5* recruits got really turned off a lot by a rigid depth chart where they had to toil behind others that they felt clearly better than (and blocked playing time to get to the NFL faster). That, coupled with Joe’s other traditional student-athletic policies, led to the decreasing number of high end recruits from PSU’s traditional recruiting areas to even considering PSU; and Joe didn’t adapt accordingly to regularly expand his recruiting reach.

There’s a lot of reasons PSU declined after 86, with only 1994 and 2005 as two brief worthy high water marks, with a lack of sustained excellence. Schollies limits were key, but the lack of the head man to adapt in many many areas (rigidity to adapt to a more modern recruit’s individual mentality (i.e. tamping down on all on filed celebrations, like Rich Gardner in 2002 Neb game) and quicker to-the-NFL motivations, changes in recruiting footprint and expectations, general risk aversion on Gameday, more modern on-field O and D strategies, staff, etc) was the other dominant factor IMHO.
The main point you make is valid, which is Paterno turned from a huge asset into a detriment. I don't have enough knowledge of the depth chart in those years to intelligently comment about the drop off but your premise seems accurate. We still had studs but I can't recall a good RB for example between Curtis Enis and LJ? Receivers seemed to drop off as well.

Here is another interesting angle to examine with this thread. How did O$U ascend to elite status? Clearly the obvious answer is Meyer and yes that is certainly a key factor but I would argue Tressel got them going. They hired Tressel during our dark years and he took advantage of us being a sleeping giant. He dominated us versus what happened in the '90's under Cooper. Tressel started in '01 and he lost to us that year but overall he went 7-3 against us. Cooper went 5-3. My point being that O$U made a good hire (granted it did not end well but he was a good coach and elevated the program) while we struggled with Paterno.

The program was badly hurt by the lack of top level quarterback play. Knizner was horribly slow and inaccurate, Neither Sacca nor Bill were ready the next season, after that Bill was done because of drinking, then Sacca wasn't quite elite even in 91. When 92 came around Paterno made a poor decision to keep his most talented qb on the bench, not to mention that he himself could not stay away from bar fights. It took until mid 93 to finally restore the program to its place after 86. When 95 came around the drop-off was like a cliff from 12 to 14 at the helm. 9 wasn't nearly talented enough in 97, and every one knows what happened from there.
Matt Knizer was not “horribly slow”...he was actually more of a runner.

Tony Sacca was a darn good college QB...and PSU won quite a number of big games with him at the helm.

Reactions: DandyDonII
Great question...IMHO, the world changed and PSU did not. There were always teams cheating but previous to that timeframe, college ball was regional. Fandom, recruiting, and media included. There were only three networks; ABC, CBS, NBC. There were also some smaller UHF stations. Then, At that time, cable TV came along. With cable came a national reach, national exposure, national recruiting and national PR. Schools that made millions were in line to make tens to hundreds of millions. ND signed an entire network leaving two. That forced conferences to align with TV outlets and then for conferences to realign. College football went 365 days a year and even recruiting became a revenue source. Suddenly, big money was involved and universities wanted their pie.

Joe tried to stick to the notion of the student/athlete with "student" coming first. Other schools, Oklahoma, Pitt, SMU, etc. cheated like crazy and no longer cared about the "student" part of athlete. It was common for NFL players to be illiterate after graduating college. Joe also tried to stay regional and to not expand when the region was compressing.

I don't think PSU woke up to the new world until CJF took over. We still miss the boat; not having a B/W game was a PR missed opportunity, for example.
Not having a Blue White game this year will have zero impact on recruiting.

And playing for back to back NCs including winning a game of the century that Penn State didn't vault into the stratosphere as a program.
I lived through this time period but when you're living something sometimes you miss things that appear obvious down the line.
- Was it the staffs age? Most of these guys had been around for 20 plus years. I know we were pretty good in 91 but Joe usually closed the deal in the past when he had talent.
- was it motivation? I remember Joe saying in 89 he had lost his mojo after the 86 season.
- did the style of play in college football change which hurt us defensively. I think we've all agreed Penn State was not a great defensive team in the 90s.
You just wonder because in today's age when these teams make the playoffs it seems to elevate their program to where they are competing for the playoffs every year.
Anyway not complaining but I always wondered why we didn't become an absolute juggernaut after 86.
Because Joe didn’t have anything to prove in ‘87, ‘88, etc. this was true throughout his final 20-25 years. When he felt he had something to prove there were some special seasons. When he didn't, we saw what that was like

Matt Knizer was not “horribly slow”...he was actually more of a runner.

Tony Sacca was a darn good college QB...and PSU won quite a number of big games with him at the helm.
Not enough with Tony Sacca apparently. He beat ND in '90 and '91 are his claims to fame especially knocking off #1 ND in South Bend in '90. The Tenn Fiesta bowl win at the end of the '91 season was his finale and certainly a good win.

BUT, the OP's question was why did we not stay elite after '85 and '86. Paterno was still relatively young and we still recruited well in the late 80's. A 4-5 year cycle would have put us playing for a NC or winning one in '90 or '91. We were good but not good enough. Lost to Texas and U$C in '90 then FSU in the Blockbuster Bowl. Far from elite. In '91 we lose to U$C and Miami. Sacca won games but if you hone in on the key cross sectional games the record was poor. I won't blame all the losses on him but again his predecessors found ways to win games that he did not. He was also more talented than Shafer. I will agree that their schedule in '90 and '91 was most likely more difficult than '85 and '86 but it is all about results.

Reactions: PSUPride1
I understand the OP point but PSU had a very good 10 year run from 1990-1999. In that ten year span PSU was ranked in the top 10 four times (2, 3, 7, 8) and in the top 11 six times. So six top 11 finishes in ten years... if more than 2 or 3 other programs accomplished this I will be surprised. The overall winning percentage for the decade was just a tick under 80%, 96 wins and 26 losses. Of the other four seasons, they finished 13, 16, 17 and unranked. That is a pretty darn good program for a sustained period of time. In those ten seasons PSU defeated AL, ND, BYU, ND again, TN, USC, TN again, USC again, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan again, Auburn, USC again, Michigan again, TX, OSU again, Kentucky, Arizona, Miami, OSU again and A&M.
I understand that for three of those seasons PSU was not in the Big 10, but IMHO it will be a long time, if ever, before we experience a decade in which PSU football will defeat non-con teams the caliber of Alabama, Notre Dame, BYU, Tennessee, USC, Oregon, Arizona, Auburn, Texas, Kentucky, Miami and Texas A&M. For a program and staff that had all of the flaws listed in this thread, that's not too shabby.

Because Joe didn’t have anything to prove in ‘87, ‘88, etc. this was true throughout his final 20-25 years. When he felt he had something to prove there were some special seasons. When he didn't, we saw what that was like
Interesting perspective. Some folks do lose their mojo after reaching the mountain top. I remember in 89 there was Article where Joe admitted he lost motivation after 86.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
I understand the OP point but PSU had a very good 10 year run from 1990-1999. In that ten year span PSU was ranked in the top 10 four times (2, 3, 7, 8) and in the top 11 six times. So six top 11 finishes in ten years... if more than 2 or 3 other programs accomplished this I will be surprised. The overall winning percentage for the decade was just a tick under 80%, 96 wins and 26 losses. Of the other four seasons, they finished 13, 16, 17 and unranked. That is a pretty darn good program for a sustained period of time. In those ten seasons PSU defeated AL, ND, BYU, ND again, TN, USC, TN again, USC again, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan again, Auburn, USC again, Michigan again, TX, OSU again, Kentucky, Arizona, Miami, OSU again and A&M.
I understand that for three of those seasons PSU was not in the Big 10, but IMHO it will be a long time, if ever, before we experience a decade in which PSU football will defeat non-con teams the caliber of Alabama, Notre Dame, BYU, Tennessee, USC, Oregon, Arizona, Auburn, Texas, Kentucky, Miami and Texas A&M. For a program and staff that had all of the flaws listed in this thread, that's not too shabby.
I watched the Kentucky game from 76 and George asked Joe if Penn State fans were spoiled, and this was in 76. Hey, Joe set a high standard. He was the best in the business and had Penn State as the top program in the country after the Miami game - no doubt. That's why it's fair to ask why we fell off from competing for NCs.
For example we lost to a shit USC team in 91 to start a promising season off on a terrible note.
Additionally I thought we would win a lot more BIG titles under Joe but I blame that on his age. Joe was a hands on, intense to the max guy and inevitably as you get older your energy level drops. Hell for the first 20 to 25 years of his career Joe would call plays. You never saw that from the mid to late 90s forward.

Reactions: pioneerlion83
By the dark years of the early 2000s, PSUs offensive lines were much smaller than the rest of the Big Ten. Paterno hated fat players, but our 280-290 pounders just couldn’t compete with the 330-340 pounders Ohio State and Wisconsin were putting out.

And playing for back to back NCs including winning a game of the century that Penn State didn't vault into the stratosphere as a program.
I lived through this time period but when you're living something sometimes you miss things that appear obvious down the line.
- Was it the staffs age? Most of these guys had been around for 20 plus years. I know we were pretty good in 91 but Joe usually closed the deal in the past when he had talent.
- was it motivation? I remember Joe saying in 89 he had lost his mojo after the 86 season.
- did the style of play in college football change which hurt us defensively. I think we've all agreed Penn State was not a great defensive team in the 90s.
You just wonder because in today's age when these teams make the playoffs it seems to elevate their program to where they are competing for the playoffs every year.
Anyway not complaining but I always wondered why we didn't become an absolute juggernaut after 86.
As far as the defense regressing in 1990s, maybe there is something to Paterno’s accusations that Jerry Sandusky was shirking his duties as a coach in order to devote more time to his charity.

But then again, it was right after Sandusky left that we had the four very terrible seasons in five years.

Interesting perspective. Some folks do lose their mojo after reaching the mountain top. I remember in 89 there was Article where Joe admitted he lost motivation after 86.

He had something to prove again after joining the B1G and we got 1994. He had something to prove after 2004, obviously, because the program was on the brink and at some point he would have been forced out, and then we got a great 2005.

He had something to prove again after joining the B1G and we got 1994. He had something to prove after 2004, obviously, because the program was on the brink and at some point he would have been forced out, and then we got a great 2005.
It really just goes to show how most programs are on the razors edge. If you look at PSU's QB recruits from the mid 90's through the early 2000's it is pretty alarming. Would they have been better if they went from Wally to Thompson without the stop on McQueary? Hard to say but they didn't brng in much quality at the position for a while.

It really just goes to show how most programs are on the razors edge. If you look at PSU's QB recruits from the mid 90's through the early 2000's it is pretty alarming. Would they have been better if they went from Wally to Thompson without the stop on McQueary? Hard to say but they didn't brng in much quality at the position for a while.

It also shows how ridiculous the recruiting rankings are. Rashard Casey was supposedly the #1 player in the country. wtf. When Kendra, Simms, Smoker, and Henne chose other schools you would have thought that we missed on four Joe Montanas. And when Morelli committed you would have thought we landed Dan Marino.

The point here is we were not right there competing for a NC like in '82, '85 and '86, with the exception of '94.

If you look at the stretch from '87 to '99 you definitely can make the point that we lost a ton of big games. Hence proving the program was in a slow decline that bottomed out with the dark years.

Granted we had some good wins which you pointed out but let's look at the key losses in big games.

87-89-Can't recall many big wins except a ND win in there and Bama but there were many losses. We lost to Pitt in '87 and '88. Lost to Clemson after '87 which was brutal, etc. '88 was a total train wreck of a year and only two years removed from our NC. We did beat BYU in the '89 Holiday Bowl.

Start in '90, lose to Texas and U$C to open the season then we win against our traditional eastern rivals. Beat Bama and ND which were big wins and beat Pitt then lose to FSU. You could say that year we were 3-3 in big games.

Next year in '91 we lose to U$C and Miami, beat ND, BYU, Pitt and Tenn. 4-2.

Next year was lousy and surely lost more big games than we won. Losing to Miami and BYU come to mind. We did drub Pitt but lose to Stanford in bowl so 1-3.

Next year was first year in B10 and we promptly lose to O$U and blow it against scUM at home in a game we surely should have won. Beat Tenn in bowl. Call it 1-2.

'94 was great, obviously undefeated

'95 lose to Wisky and O$U beat scUM and Auburn. 2-2

'96 lose to O$U but beat scUM, U$C and Texas. 3-1. I know we lost to someone else (Iowa I think) but won't count that since it was not a big game and I am not giving credit to those wins that were not big.

'97 lose to scUM and Florida, beat O$U 1-2

'98 lose to O$U and scUM, win bowl game against Kentucky. 1-2

'99 lose to scUM. Could count MSU as big loss then cout A&M and Arizona as big wins. 2-2

I am sure I missed some games in here that were borderline big wins and this can be debated until the cows come home. I think that puts us at 18-19 for the decade in big games not counting '94. If you count '94 at 4-0 (U$C, O$U, scUM and Oregon) then we were 22-19. Yeah, certainly don't expect to win them all but an elite program does better than that.

I thought I was pretty clear. I have a firm understanding of Joe's every four years plan. I completely agree Joe had a fabulous career. However, after the 85 and 86 seasons when we should have been in a position to recruit anyone we wanted (played for NCs in 82, 85, and 86) on a National basis and at least continue the every four years mantra the program never achieved that success level again. My question was why?
They were right there in 90-91, undefeated in 1995, preseason number 1 in 1999, 11 and 1 in 2005 and an upset loss to Iowa away from going unbeaten in 2009 I think it was. The every four year or so cycle really did continue through the 1990s and into the early 2000s.

They were right there in 90-91, undefeated in 1995, preseason number 1 in 1999, 11 and 1 in 2005 and an upset loss to Iowa away from going unbeaten in 2009 I think it was. The every four year or so cycle really did continue through the 1990s and into the early 2000s.
In 68,69 we went undefeated. In 73 we went undefeated again and in 77 we went 11-1 and then in 78 played for the NC and lost. In 81 we went 11-2 destroying number one Pitt and then won the NC in 82. In 85 we played for the NC and then played for the NC again in 86 this time winning it.
In 90 we went 9-3, a solid year but nothing great. In 91 we were very talented but that team needed a playoff format.
So yes we had good years but in Joe's first 25 years he could close the deal. When you look at 99 two of our losses come at home.

It's really an all-of-the-above kind of answer.

1) Getting to the top is hard (took Paterno 15 years to win his first MNC?) and staying at the top might be harder.
2) College football changed. Instead of 10 teams with great coaching and great facilities, now it's 40 or 50 teams that train and coach at a very high level. And training better at HS level so there are a lot more elite athletes available to more colleges.
3) College offenses and defenses changed, allowing lesser teams to compete better -- PSU like a lot of bluebloods was slow to adapt. PSU's offense was based on overpowering people but that got harder to do. PSU's D was about dominating LOS and preventing big play, but quick consistent passing offenses could sometimes break through.
4) PSU coaching staff got old and tired and probably a little arrogant. But the biggest of these is old. In retrospect, Paterno should have retired in glory after he got PSU into the Big Ten.

The every four years cycle was really at the end, in my mind. '91, '94, '95, and '96 were all very good. 1997 was preseason #1 and 1999 was #2 most of the season. It was after 2000 when everything went in the dumpster and he started having success every four years. And it kind of seemed like the only reason for that was the way his staff developed the OL. They would be horrible for 2.5 seasons and then great in year 4.

We went undefeated in ‘94 and beat The Tattoo State 63-14 and still got no respect. That’s why.

The point is that we never closed the deal after '86. Close does not cut it. Even as bogus as it was in '94 we can't claim a NC. All the other years we had at least two losses, ain't going to cut it. In '05 even if we beat scUM it would have been that same bad movie of being undefeated but not getting a shot at the NC.

The point is that we never closed the deal after '86. Close does not cut it. Even as bogus as it was in '94 we can't claim a NC. All the other years we had at least two losses, ain't going to cut it. In '05 even if we beat scUM it would have been that same bad movie of being undefeated but not getting a shot at the NC.

What were we supposed to do about '94?

Had we beaten Michigan, what else could we have done in '05?

The Big 10 is a mighty strong conference everytime OSU or UM needs it to be; why does it get considered weak when it's us needing it?

What were we supposed to do about '94?

Had we beaten Michigan, what else could we have done in '05?

The Big 10 is a mighty strong conference everytime OSU or UM needs it to be; why does it get considered weak when it's us needing it?
'94 was a NC team. No doubt about it. '05 we lost to scUM so irrelevant.

The OP's point was why we could not sustain the juggernaut excellence we had in the mid 80's. Many reasons why that have been discussed in the thread. We were certainly a very good program in the 90's but there was a drop off from the mid 80's.

Shane Conlan graduated.

Interesting thread. Had never really thought about it before. But as to these 4 reasons:

1. We went from losing 1 game in 1985/86 combined to being pretty pedestrian in 1987/88/89. That was the OP's point. Not sure demographic changes can explain that precipitous fall.
2. No idea if this is a valid point.
3. Lack of using the shotgun doesn't explain what happened immediately following 1985/86 seasons. Recently watched 1991 game vs. Miami. That Miami team was awesome. I don't think they ran a play out of the shotgun.
4. Maybe.
Madsol, to your point 1, I'm not sure if that really is what the OP meant.

But if it is, there's a very simple answer. The '86 team was loaded w/ 5th year seniors at a time when almost all programs operated in a rebuild, not reload, mindset. Everything set up perfectly for the Greatest College Game Ever Played in Arizona against Miami. After that, Paterno expected there to be a drop-off, and it was almost a self-fulfilling prophecy

ADVERTISEMENT