ADVERTISEMENT

What are you binge watching?

I’m rewatching The Wire for just the second time. It’s been a decade since I watched it the first time. When I initially watched it, it took 4-5 episodes to get into it, and I always told people when recommending to give it time. But upon rewatch and knowing the characters already, it’s intriguing from the start.

My rankings however remain Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men. Game of Thrones would’ve been top 5, but they just wrecked the last two seasons too badly. And I love where Better Call Saul is now, but for me it took way too long to get there.

My wife and finished up the Soprano's last month on HBO go. Now staying in place, we just finished Ozarks on Netflix, which I highly recommend, and prior to that, Hunters on Amazon (another good one).

We tried one of those Game of Thrones / Vikings rip offs..... that didn't work, then there was this show set in England about some somewhat attractive gal and her misadventures. That didn't work either. So much so, I don't even know the name. It was on Amazon.

We have at least 8 more days..........
Watched season one and part of season 2 of El Chappo on net flix. I had to quit watching it because I could not stomach just how ruthless, evil and f#cked up the Drug cartels are. While I still believe our country needs to control our borders, I do have a better understanding of why people in Mexico and Central America want to get the hell out of there.

I can’t recommend enough Red Oaks on Prime. 3 seasons. Caddyshack with heart. I don’t know how more people don’t know about it.
I watched Red Oaks a couple years back and loved it as well. “Caddy shack” without the gophers is a good comparison.

I’m rewatching The Wire for just the second time. It’s been a decade since I watched it the first time. When I initially watched it, it took 4-5 episodes to get into it, and I always told people when recommending to give it time. But upon rewatch and knowing the characters already, it’s intriguing from the start.

My rankings however remain Breaking Bad, The Wire, Sopranos, Mad Men. Game of Thrones would’ve been top 5, but they just wrecked the last two seasons too badly. And I love where Better Call Saul is now, but for me it took way too long to get there.
Homeland, Dexter and The Shield are top 5 worthy as well.

Reactions: BBrown
Trying so hard on Saul but can’t get into it.

It is a slow burn type of thing. I like it better than Breaking Bad.
Michael McKean is fantastic in it.
The cinematography is gorgeous and they really know how to use that magical New Mexico light.
The Episode called Fifi has one of the best tracking shots I've seen. It was a direct homage to Touch of Evil...

Homeland, Dexter and The Shield are top 5 worthy as well.

Agree but as far as Dexter goes stop after the John Lithgow season. Its all downhill from there.
Besides they are rebooting it and you will have never seen that Godawful final season.
I would also add Trublood. But like Dexter it got worse after about season 3 or 4. Still one of the best openings of all time.

Reactions: ewb75
Has anyone watched American Gods? I'm 3 episodes in and honestly I don't know what to make of it.

It’s based on the book by one of the best fantasy writers in the world, Neil Gaiman. When the book was published the internet did not look anything like it does now, but the gist is the ‘old gods’ (led by Mr. Wednesday - you’ll find out who he is soon enough) brought to America by immigrants want to wage war agains the ‘new gods’ (media, technology, celebrity, etc.). Mixed in is a good bit of mythology surrounding the origin of certain gods and beliefs, as well as the dead/reanimated girlfriend of Shadow, Mr. Wednesday’s muscle. I am starting S2 now - it’s a great show with a great cast; if you are a fan of mythology, it will scratch that itch.

I just started watching "I'm Sorry" on Netflix. I think it's pretty funny. My wife is on the fence about it.

Speaking of Neil Gaiman, the initial cast for the Netflix adaptation of his masterpiece - The Sandman - has been announced. This is going to be amazing...

Reactions: Hotshoe and BBrown
It’s based on the book by one of the best fantasy writers in the world, Neil Gaiman. When the book was published the internet did not look anything like it does now, but the gist is the ‘old gods’ (led by Mr. Wednesday - you’ll find out who he is soon enough) brought to America by immigrants want to wage war agains the ‘new gods’ (media, technology, celebrity, etc.). Mixed in is a good bit of mythology surrounding the origin of certain gods and beliefs, as well as the dead/reanimated girlfriend of Shadow, Mr. Wednesday’s muscle. I am starting S2 now - it’s a great show with a great cast; if you are a fan of mythology, it will scratch that itch.

I like it.It is pretty out there. LOL. +100 on the great cast and the somewhat newbie Ricky Whittle is very good.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Trying to stay with the new version of The Stand. I am a huge Stephen King fan and this version is up and down with most of it on the down side...like 75% of it.
Acting is superior to the 90's Mini Series version. Marsden is very good as Stu Redmon and Greg Kinnear is very good as Glen Bateman but Pretty disappointed with it so far.

Last edited:
Have been watching Wanted on Netflix. Aussie series about 2 women on the run for crimes they did not/did commit. Really good buddy concept. Filmed in Australia, New Zeland and Thailand so far.

Reactions: LionJim
I don't want to pay for discovery+, and I don't stream much. Someone please tell me that Bobby and Giada aren't having sex.

Aside from that, I'm watching Highway Patrol every morning. Not sure why.

I don't want to pay for discovery+, and I don't stream much. Someone please tell me that Bobby and Giada aren't having sex.

Aside from that, I'm watching Highway Patrol every morning. Not sure why.
First FLAG, second pretty sure they are. Just not on Discovery

First FLAG, second pretty sure they are. Just not on Discovery
She should be in Midnighter's poll as well. Stunning for her age.

rs_634x1024-190221163949-634.Giada-DeLaurentis.ct.022119.jpg

Last edited:
I watched Denzel Washington’s ‘the little things’ in HBO Max. This is being released in theaters and Max at the same time. It has Rami Malek and Jared Leto. Leto steals the show while Malek and Denzel do their usual great work. Think silence of the lambs with a twist. Slow, well crafted, thriller.

I watched Denzel Washington’s ‘the little things’ in HBO Max. This is being released in theaters and Max at the same time. It has Rami Malek and Jared Leto. Leto steals the show while Malek and Denzel do their usual great work. Think silence of the lambs with a twist. Slow, well crafted, thriller.
I saw it the other night and didn’t like it at all. IMO it was a slower less interesting version of Seven.

I think this looks really good - anxious to watch it. Also, I didn't realize John David Washington (Tenet, Malcolm & Marie - which also stars Zendaya) is Denzel's son.

We're still working through Schitt's Creek (which just gets better and better) but the other binge for me recently has been BattleBots on Discovery. I have COX cable and it has five seasons On Demand. I caught this a couple times while traveling and it really reels you in. I do wish I knew the specs each team has to work within given the big differences in some of the bot design, and while there is way too much fluff and commercials when the show is live, binging and FF'ing to get to the battles is much better.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Obliviax
I watched it the other night, average at best, was expecting much more.

Reactions: BBrown
I think this looks really good - anxious to watch it. Also, I didn't realize John David Washington (Tenet, Malcolm & Marie - which also stars Zendaya) is Denzel's son.

We're still working through Schitt's Creek (which just gets better and better) but the other binge for me recently has been BattleBots on Discovery. I have COX cable and it has five seasons On Demand. I caught this a couple times while traveling and it really reels you in. I do wish I knew the specs each team has to work within given the big differences in some of the bot design, and while there is way too much fluff and commercials when the show is live, binging and FF'ing to get to the battles is much better.
tenor.gif
The last season of Schitts creek, to me, was the best single season I’ve seen of TV IMHO.

I normally like anything that includes Denzel Washington but this one fell flat for me. Not getting very good reviews overall either.

Reactions: BBrown and Obliviax
I normally like anything that includes Denzel Washington but this one fell flat for me. Not getting very good reviews overall either.

I will pretty much watch and like anything Denzel is in, I think he's that good. But this thing was just boring. I also understand why Remi Malick was so good in Mr. Robot, he looks and acts like one. Jarred Leto is pretty much excellent in everything he is in as well but I think its time he passes on the lets play a psycho scripts.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Schitts Creek last night. Not sure I will go any further

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT