ADVERTISEMENT

What are the possibilities causing the delays in the C/S/S trials?

PSU-Knocker

Jun 4, 2013
This is a serious question. There has to be some nefarious reason for this; it can't be for normal judicial reasons. There has to be some political jockeying going on.
confused-smiley-013.gif
I live in Tennessee so I'm not as aware of Pennsylvania politics.

Plain and simple. The state...and the people really involved in the scandal...don't want this to ever make it to trial.

For all three defendants, there has been some sort of activity around a month ago: http://www.dauphincounty.org/government/Court-Departments/Curley-Schultz-Spanier/Pages/default.aspx. More broadly, I would imagine that the Supreme Court's recent ruling with the Philadelphia Catholic bishop may affect how the three want to proceed with their ongoing appeals and eventual defense, and I also believe that they have some appeals still pending before Pennsylvania appellate courts, which tend to operate on their own (much longer) schedule. I can't see the trial court going further until the appeals are settled. Additionally, I thought I heard rumblings about Judge Hoover going on temporary medical leave, but someone else might have more information on that.

Judge is on medical leave. Other delays related to Baldwin ruling

this thing will get to trial 2 years from now...which is a complete joke...get it together PA

Is it common to have a situation like this where it appears as if neither party wants to go to trial?

isn't there limits to these kind of things? How long can an appeal sit out there without being ruled on? years?

I think what they've been having to argue is fairly unusual as well.

"The attorney-client privilege and work-product issue, which we have been litigating for at least two-and-a-half years, is a very complicated and novel issue in the state court jurisdiction," she said. "Everybody has been working. Although it does seem like an extended period of time for people on the outside, we've been working very diligently." - Caroline Roberto

Read more: http://www.thelegalintelligencer.co...rupt-PSU-Officials-Prosecutions#ixzz3anut7u5X

Having Kane involved hasn't helped either. Firing the lead prosecutor as revenge for his testimony regarding her leaks?

I'd call her a hack, but she's not that smart. She's a complete buffoon.

Yeah, right....They have put more time into this consideration than the decision to admit a statement by a janitor that has Alzheimer's. This "working very diligently" statement is pure BS. No one in the Judiciary nor in the prosecutors office wants to make a decision because it will blow the states case and allow the defendants to speak freely thus exposing misconduct by both the judiciary and the prosecutors.

Working very diligently to keep the case in limbo is a more accurate statement.

I wouldn't be surprised if C/S/S are waiting for progress on the discovery phase of the Paterno Family Suit.
That quote is from Curley's lawyer.

This is a serious question. There has to be some nefarious reason for this; it can't be for normal judicial reasons. There has to be some political jockeying going on.
confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't know why the huge delay on this CSS case. There were some appeals issues but when a judge takes at least 2.5 years to decide on a simple statue of limitations issue (has he even decided that yet?) and makes a ruling on Baldwin where he basically washes his hands and sides with the state but then tells the lawyers they probably want to immediately appeal this- then something more is going on IMO.

The Baldwin ruling to me (non lawyer) sounded like a judge who wasn't about to go against the publicly accepted narrative (he wasn't going to be the one blamed for any failure) so he simply agreed with the state but then pushed the real decision down the line to appellate courts.

IIRC the WW2 Nuremberg trials dealt with 23 accused and took a year. We are now over 3 years on CSS with no court date even set.

At first I thought that maybe this supposed federal investigation was delaying things but there's been no real evidence of anything from the Feds.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the CSS trial(s) will never happen and they are hoping Schultz or Curley's health fails in the interim.

Reactions: WeR0206
Having Kane involved hasn't helped either. Firing the lead prosecutor as revenge for his testimony regarding her leaks?

I'd call her a hack, but she's not that smart. She's a complete buffoon.

Wait, I thought Kane was going to be one of the saviours. Wasn't there some push by the people here to get her elected so she could do wonderful things? What happened?

This has been perfectly orchestrated. Kane has been emasculated (bad choice of words). Governor has bigger fish to fry. Press has been muzzled. Corman has been bought off, perhaps by a promise of higher office. Covey has been temporarily eliminated.

Etc etc etc. I initially thought the whole mob connection was nonsense, but given the multi-tentacled way that this has all been controlled, I'm not sure who else could do it.

with regards to comments on Curly and/or Shultz' health....(BTW, I have no idea if they are having issues or not)....but if they are, they should be writing a complete tell all to be published posthumously. Regardless on your opinions of both individuals, they aren't stupid and I would anticipate that they would not be "going quietly into the night"

So, if the state and any other nefarious persons are hoping that Curly or Shultz's failing health will save them from the public's discovery of the truth I would say that is very foolish and wishful thinking.

So far they seem to be going pretty damn quietly. What would be their motivation to publish posthumously? To satisfy someone's craving for the "truth"?

with regards to comments on Curly and/or Shultz' health....(BTW, I have no idea if they are having issues or not)....but if they are, they should be writing a complete tell all to be published posthumously. Regardless of your opinions of either individual, they aren't stupid and I would anticipate that they would not be "going quietly into the night"

So, if the state and any other nefarious persons are hoping that Curly's or Shultz's failing health will save them from the public's discovery of the truth I would say that is very foolish and wishful thinking.

I hope someone close to them has advised them to record their testimony just in case but I'm betting they haven't. Just to be clear- I have no personal information on Curley or Schultz's health. It's just that Schultz is older and Curley has lung cancer (from what I understand from other posters).

This has been perfectly orchestrated. Kane has been emasculated (bad choice of words). Governor has bigger fish to fry. Press has been muzzled. Corman has been bought off, perhaps by a promise of higher office. Covey has been temporarily eliminated.
I don't Jake has ever operated outside of someone else's pocket. But who's pocket? I'd always heard he was Al Lord's boy now that McCord has gone down in flames.

As far as Covey goes. It's bad enough to see a politician like Corman pander for votes, but a judge?

Your kidding right?

It's called eternity for a reason....If you were them would you want your legacy for eternity to be "I failed to stop a pedophile...and I remained silent while the state kept me in limbo?"

Why would they need to say a word? Isn't the Paterno lawsuit supposed to make all things right, clear the name of C/S/S, and doom the BOT to purgatory?

I don't Jake has ever operated outside of someone else's pocket. But who's pocket? I'd always heard he was Al Lord's boy now that McCord has gone down in flames.

As far as Covey goes. It's bad enough to see a politician like Corman pander for votes, but a judge?

The system sucks.

Reactions: Trey Suevos
So far they seem to be going pretty damn quietly. What would be their motivation to publish posthumously? To satisfy someone's craving for the "truth"?

I understand skepticism (and some people here take things too far) but you're off on this point while trying to be contrary. Of course they are quiet now- everyone charged has their lawyer tell them to immediately shut up. Nothing earth shattering there.

Why would they need to say a word? Isn't the Paterno lawsuit supposed to make all things right, clear the name of C/S/S, and doom the BOT to purgatory?

Seriously? Are you here to add to any discussion or just be as obnoxious as possible?

I understand skepticism (and some people here take things too far) but you're off on this point while trying to be contrary. Of course they are quiet now- everyone charged has their lawyer tell them to immediately shut up. Nothing earth shattering there.

Thing is, they could publish whatever they wanted to say in a book as long as it didn't damage anyone. No need to swear an oath or face punishment. And this would be accepted as the truth?

At first I thought that maybe this supposed federal investigation was delaying things but there's been no real evidence of anything from the Feds.

Well, we do know for a fact that the Feds have started two different investigations re: TSM:

The first was a 2/2/12 federal subpoena to PSU seeking info on Second Mile
B0Q1Xy0IIAIQZWj.jpg

And the second was -- 3/24/12 U.S. Postal Inspector's launch investigation of Second Mile http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/03/us_postal_inspectors_probe_of.html…

Thing is, they could publish whatever they wanted to say in a book as long as it didn't damage anyone. No need to swear an oath or face punishment. And this would be accepted as the truth?

It would be judged like any other statements by anyone in this case.

I'm ready to see someone start breathing down the necks of those at TSM as well. I just have a feeling that absolutely nothing's going to happen until we're on the other side of a CS&S trial.

JS's interview with Bob Costas wasn't under oath, etc. and the state still used it against JS during his trial....I'm not sure if you were born yesterday or what but anything C/S/S say on the record can and will be used against them if the state see fit to do so.

Seriously? Are you here to add to any discussion or just be as obnoxious as possible?

I'm serious. Or have I misinterpreted the comments that are in the majority here? It is my impression that discovery in the Paterno lawsuit was going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this mess is all due to the actions of the BOT. That it would expose malfeasence on their part stretching both far and wide.

Given that, why would C/S/S need to lift a finger?

JS's interview with Bob Costas wasn't under oath, etc. and the state still used it against JS during his trial....I'm not sure if you were born yesterday or what but anything C/S/S say on the record can and will be used against them if the state see fit to do so.
He's just "curious"......just like every other Minnesota/Alabama fan you've ever run into. o_O

This past February changed that for Jake. It was so cold that he was seen with his hands in his own pockets for the first time.

I'm serious. Or have I misinterpreted the comments that are in the majority here? It is my impression that discovery in the Paterno lawsuit was going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this mess is all due to the actions of the BOT. That it would expose malfeasence on their part stretching both far and wide.

Just stop. if you have something worthwhile to add to any conversation (pro or con) then you're more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned. If you're just going to try to provoke people with silly statements then head back to the Minny or Bama boards.

Just stop. if you have something worthwhile to add to any conversation (pro or con) then you're more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned. If you're just going to try to provoke people with silly statements then head back to the Minny or Bama boards.
BamaSofa is a barka-lounger shill getting paid to jiggle 'three balls'.

So far they seem to be going pretty damn quietly. What would be their motivation to publish posthumously?

Wow. I'm pretty flabbergasted a person would ask that. And here I thought you Southerners were all about "honor" and that kind of stuff.

Well, in the scenario being discussed--which you apparently have somehow forgotten--one of the plaintiffs doesn't make it to trial to tell his side under oath.

Duh.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe this, because it could conceivably expose members of the prosecution team to a professional misconduct complaint. Which, in fact, was delivered to the Office of Disciplinary Counsel this Monday by certified mail.

McQueary_testimony.jpg

Illness not specified and leave was open-ended.
Unfortunately Judge Hoover may not return as his condition and prognosis is not good. His cases are being transferred . One would assume the President Judge, Richard Lewis, will take these cases.

Unfortunately Judge Hoover may not return as his condition and prognosis is not good. His cases are being transferred . One would assume the President Judge, Richard Lewis, will take these cases.
That is approximately what I heard as well. "open ended medical leave" is a pretty bad thing to have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT