ADVERTISEMENT

What’s happening at Ohio State?

Nice find. Something didn’t seem right with JSs post. I would have been shocked if our group would have been slinging that crap.
There were a couple that were throwing around some wild accusations, but they were, well...
giphy.gif

One of their light weights, Will B, is coming to PSU next year, four others are now in the portal in the last week. There has also been rumors about Sammy Sasso. A couple changes is the new normal, but with this much happening now … at least five Buckeyes are trying to get out of town.
I think its a manifestation of the Anthony Ralph effect on the program. When he was at Notre Dame College (Cleveland) he was very skilled in finding diamonds in the rough, and created a D2 power. In Columbus, he does a lot of this, bringing in lower ranked kids that they think could have a high ceiling. So, guys like Phillip Kue, Isaac Wilcox, Alex Felix, etc are going to come into the room, and probably leave after 2 years if they cant crack the lineup. His formula worked very well at Notre Dame, but I am not sure it translates to elite D1 level success.

All of the guys who left have not really be surprising
Rocky Jordan is the one that sounds the most surprising with his family lineage, but he got squeezed out of the lineup this year, after being a R12 guy the previous year. Romero is returning next year so Rocky really has no path to start. When I heard he entered the portal, my first thought was Wisconsin,but then I thought... what is the program that is the furthest south, near the great bass fishing sites.. and I thought UT-Chat. I heard that is where he is going on a forum, just not sure if official.
Chase Singletary graduated IIRC. And he could not cut to 197 and be effective.
All of the others are back ups that may or may not even wrestle at their new homes. IIRC, if you are an athlete and plan on transferring schools, even for academic program reasons, you still have to enter the portal.

The more worrisome issue was the mass exodus from the Ohio RTC over the past few years. That was more alarming and was certainly more worrisome about the future of the whole wrestling program and sustainability of being a top 4 program. The Ohio RTC was, by far, the premier RTC at putting guys on world teams. But, after Lou left, it slowly dwindled. Despite all the sport donors affiliated with Ohio State, the Ohio RTC is really not that well funded.

While the staff has changed some over the last few years, overall tOSU has done pretty well with their really good recruits:

Logan Steiber
Tomasello
Bo Jordan
Myles Martin
Kyle Snyder
Joey McKenna (a transfer, but was very good for Brutus)
Sasso
Kharchla (limited data, but AA his first year and should improve)

Plus there have been at least a couple non-elite (but still good) recruits that were very solid for Tan Tom:

Pletcher
Kollin Moore

There have been a couple busts (Decatour comes to mind), but that happens to every top program.
How many guys on this list (beside snyder) would you say noticeably improved from year 1 to 4?

How many guys on this list (beside snyder) would you say noticeably improved from year 1 to 4?
Moore, Martin, and Pletcher.

Let's be generous and say McKenna too. He placed 3rd as a freshman but DNP the next year at Stanford.

Not listed: Micah Jordan made the national finals despite having to wrestle on bottom.

If there is a fan base in any sport in the world right now that doesn’t need to nor should speak a single negative word about another program right now and especially its wrestlers it’s a Penn State wrestling fan. Scoreboard is the ONLY thing needed said. Some petty comments about other programs, their coaches and ESPECIALLY the wrestlers is not only petty, but extremely beneath the MAMMOTH you are all a part of in the college wrestling world. It’s not needed. If anything you guys should feel sympathy for others lol. And it’s only a select few, I have had some of my best experiences with both Penn State wrestling and football fans.

If there is a fan base in any sport in the world right now that doesn’t need to nor should speak a single negative word about another program right now and especially its wrestlers it’s a Penn State wrestling fan. Scoreboard is the ONLY thing needed said. Some petty comments about other programs, their coaches and ESPECIALLY the wrestlers is not only petty, but extremely beneath the MAMMOTH you are all a part of in the college wrestling world. It’s not needed. If anything you guys should feel sympathy for others lol. And it’s only a select few, I have had some of my best experiences with both Penn State wrestling and football fans.
I have to disagree. There is never an inappropriate time to talk smack about Hawks or Bucks.

Just saying.

There are actually many times I think the same thing. However, if we act with too much pity, that could be interpreted as talking smack. We should just sit back in our seats and enjoy the ass-kicking.

P.S. Lay off those guys from that school up north. They've had a rough go of it lately on the gridiron. ;)

If only we lived in a wrestling-only vacuum. Unfortunately, many of us are also football fans. I’m afraid the petty comments will continue. 😉

Reactions: nitlion6
TL/DR: Not how we would have handled it.

Quite honestly, I actually enjoyed battles in the late 2010s where Ohio State was the main competitor to us more than the recent ones with Iowa. I found their fans way more respectable candidly, maybe because there's less of them so there's just less chance you'll run into obnoxious ones. Tom Ryan is a bit of a crybaby but hard to deny he instills strong values of respect in his wrestlers as it's been said on this board many times.
Your last line is true. However it’s not just this board that wonders why his wrestlers don’t achieve more. Other coaches wonder the same.

I have to disagree. There is never an inappropriate time to talk smack about Hawks or Bucks.

Just saying.
And you are part of that select few I was referring to. Go to an Ohio State board. You don’t see no Pale Cael jokes there. Never see anything but praise for the wrestlers and the coaching staff. You hardly ever see a single bad word said, it’s more concentrated on how can Ohio State replicate what Penn State is doing. If anyone should be petty it’s Ohio State: Now Iowa fans are just hard to stick up for. If I’m wrong please cite me webpage examples. I’m on pretty much every board. The only thing I’ve ever seen somewhat critical to a particular wrestler is Kyle Snyder because of the residual effects it temporarily caused to the program when he left. But still that was from hurt feelings, not dwelled up from sort of jealousy or pettiness to how well you are doing. It was more of a anywhere but Penn State Kyle. But most understood after the dust settled.

And you are part of that select few I was referring to. Go to an Ohio State board. You don’t see no Pale Cael jokes there. Never see anything but praise for the wrestlers and the coaching staff. You hardly ever see a single bad word said, it’s more concentrated on how can Ohio State replicate what Penn State is doing. If anyone should be petty it’s Ohio State: Now Iowa fans are just hard to stick up for. If I’m wrong please cite me webpage examples. I’m on pretty much every board. The only thing I’ve ever seen somewhat critical to a particular wrestler is Kyle Snyder because of the residual effects it temporarily caused to the program when he left. But still that was from hurt feelings, not dwelled up from sort of jealousy or pettiness to how well you are doing. It was more of a anywhere but Penn State Kyle. But most understood after the dust settled.
Bucknuts and 11W has a few fixated on Sandusky - says more about them than PSU. Ohiowrestling.net is good - wish it was more active

Interesting.

@Chickenman Testa you've seen some comments on Ohio State boards that don't fit this mold, right?

I remember comments about Greg Martin being racially abused at Rec Hall. The abuse heaped at Martin was so bad that Martin bragged about his 10-yo son's ability to film entire matches from the stands.

PS, what you call "petty" is often mocking what is very mockable behavior. Perhaps Ohio State would be less of a target if Ryan didn't whine from about the refs, from Aruba two days after the NCAA tournament his team was expected to win. Or if Ryan didn't complain about PSU seating being "not how we would have handled it." Or if Ryan hadn't blamed the Zain-Stieber match on "an average official." Or if Ohio State Athletics hadn't bragged about winning Recruiting National Titles. Or if someone (Bergman?) hadn't said Bo Jordan "did well with the hand he was dealt" as if Jordan was dealt 2 kids. Etc.

PPS, do PSU fans go onto Ohio State boards and tell their fans how to behave?

Reactions: NittanyLion84

Just saying.

And you are part of that select few I was referring to. Go to an Ohio State board. You don’t see no Pale Cael jokes there. Never see anything but praise for the wrestlers and the coaching staff.

The few, the proud, the petty jokesters talking smack about the Bucknuts and Hawks 😆

I understand you wanting to defend, I get it. But you can’t go a page on this forum without petty insults…and the examples you bring up via OSU you may have to go back over a year to find. My point is there is no inside joke pettiness where I lurk relative to Penn State in regularity…anywhere. It’s respect and admiration honestly to what you have achieved.

The pettiness I guess is fine, it’s a message board, I’m not condemning it..I just think they are unnecessary sometimes and definitely played out, and most importantly sometimes paint a bad picture on a fan base onto which my personal experience has been great, exceptional even.

But what’s my opinion matter honestly???

Sometimes I say things maybe I shouldn’t have, so I apologize if I ruffled any feathers with my take.

This is your board… and I appreciate the hospitality I’ve received here personally, without question, and the last thing I want to do is alienate myself against you guys lol.

So I can’t take back what I said but please don’t burn me over the coals for it in the future. It’s just 1 guys opinion that’s all. You guys deserve to say whatever you want about anyone you want.. it’s you’re prerogative.

I guess I am a week late to the party on this thread. The Sasso rumors were started by me, and they were based on nothing more than reckless speculation about a conversation on FRL. I think we all now agree that the real subject of that conversation was Real Woods.

Sasso leaving would have been an extreme blow to Ohio State. He’s the literal face to the program right now. But wrestling is an individual sport. Sure there is talk of building programs and building cultures but at the end of the day… these kids have been wrestling all their lives, sacrificing all their lives to finish on top of the podium. Sasso’s performance at the Big Ten’s cost him a chance at a second 2nd place finish putting him in Yianni’s side of the bracket. But he’s from P.A. Penn State has 10 of the last 20 national champs.. that’s literally insane to type but true. For these reasons… I would have been surprised if Sasso was the name. I would have been disgusted. But not completely shocked or floored. Just glad it wasn’t him. As an Ohio State fan, Sasso must work all summer on his feet, free style . His mat wrestling is elite. His main offense right now is working from someone in on one of his legs. He literally has nothing from his feet besides a snap single he’s perfected pretty well. But everyone knows it’s coming. He wrestles way too many close matches because he wins scrambles but doesn’t get take downs. If he can work on getting 2-3 take downs every match, he will be tough to beat besides Yianni whose on another planet right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUbluTX
It makes no difference what board, I might not find a "Pale Cael" reference but some butthole will pop up a "Sandusky".

As far as me being one of your targets. Not sure why. Other than an occasional reference to that one time at band camp where Kenny Courts was actually in shape, or the endurance issues with long bus rides while suffering from flu like symptoms and the impact average officials can have on an athlete I don't spend a whole lot of time singling out to make fun of any Buckeye wrestlers or staff members. Nor Hawk wrestlers for that matter.
I do make fun of the Big10's need to kiss the ass of OSU and Michigan, as well as the utter stupidity of the collective known as HR.

I understand you wanting to defend, I get it. But you can’t go a page on this forum without petty insults…and the examples you bring up via OSU you may have to go back over a year to find.
If Penn State had a head wrestling coach, that did all of the things that El-Jefe expertly listed, there would be a lot of posters here, that would not be trying to defend that behavior, I know I wouldn’t. Your problem is we do not have a head coach that ever does those things, unless you want to discuss him once tossing a chair and I think Cael would agree, he shouldn’t have done that, if he had it to do over again.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Pretty sure Nietzsche would say acting with pity is what'd prevent us from being uberfans.
I prefer Lyft. I know they’ve changed their leadership considerably, but some of what I had read in the past still
keeps me from using Uber.

Or if someone (Bergman?) hadn't said Bo Jordan "did well with the hand he was dealt" as if Jordan was dealt 2 kids. Etc.
Not sure the reference or person being quoted.
But I would only assume the person was referring to the very painful bone tumor that developed in Bo's foot, limiting his ability to be on the mat. Basically wrestled his last two years without much practice and made it to the finals one of those years (thanks in part to Realbuto deciding its a good idea to try an elevator when you are up by 3 late in a match.)

• Wow
Reactions: hlstone
ADVERTISEMENT