ADVERTISEMENT

What’s happening at Ohio State?

Eastern HWT

Jan 3, 2015
One of their light weights, Will B, is coming to PSU next year, four others are now in the portal in the last week. There has also been rumors about Sammy Sasso. A couple changes is the new normal, but with this much happening now … at least five Buckeyes are trying to get out of town.

I wonder if Tom is still in Aruba?

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
One of their light weights, Will B, is coming to PSU next year, four others are now in the portal in the last week. There has also been rumors about Sammy Sasso. A couple changes is the new normal, but with this much happening now … at least five Buckeyes are trying to get out of town.

Who else is in the portal? Ohio just pulled in one of the best crooting classes ever. I will admit, I like seeing turmoil there, but I think at the very least they will be okay.

Are there any actual rumors about Sasso?

Or is it imaginations running wild over Pile and Askren talking about some unnamed transfer from some unnamed school?

Regardless:

You (OP) make it sound like their world is crumbling. It's not. Jordan won't be starting anytime soon (unless there's an injury to a current starter), Freeman is 3-7 in his career, and anyone who's followed the news knows of Echemendia's troubles.

Who else is in the portal? Ohio just pulled in one of the best crooting classes ever. I will admit, I like seeing turmoil there, but I think at the very least they will be okay.
rocky jordan is leaving, but that's because he can't make the lineup. same for betancourt. i don't think there's much to say until we see legit starters and/or high level recruits leave. larger concern for them is the current staff needing to prove they can develop the highly ranked recruits they've signed. they've had a rough couple years.

rocky jordan is leaving, but that's because he can't make the lineup. same for betancourt. i don't think there's much to say until we see legit starters and/or high level recruits leave. larger concern for them is the current staff needing to prove they can develop the highly ranked recruits they've signed. they've had a rough couple years.
While the staff has changed some over the last few years, overall tOSU has done pretty well with their really good recruits:

Logan Steiber
Tomasello
Bo Jordan
Myles Martin
Kyle Snyder
Joey McKenna (a transfer, but was very good for Brutus)
Sasso
Kharchla (limited data, but AA his first year and should improve)

Plus there have been at least a couple non-elite (but still good) recruits that were very solid for Tan Tom:

Pletcher
Kollin Moore

There have been a couple busts (Decatour comes to mind), but that happens to every top program.

HUH?
You listed 11 guys with a COMBINED 9 titles, and 7 were from 2 of them….
Not the way we woulda done it in HV.
By my count, the 9 titles is at least a couple more titles than Iowa has had in the same time period.

Since 2012 when Steiber got his first title, I counted 7 individual titles for the Hawkeyes. One each for McDonaugh, St John, Ramos, and Clark. And in the last 5 years, 3 for Spencer Lee.

Last edited:
Here is another new one in the portal:

I know most of these guys are not starters, but for five guys from your program to all go into the portal in week, begs the question. Is there something wrong?

Chase LiardiOhio StateFreshman133

I’ll again say I don’t want to disclose too much info from an article behind the MatScouts paywall, but Willie lists all the top 10 PBP recruits by team since 2015. Some of these guys have a good bit of eligibility left, but after 2022 nationals, more than half of top 10 recruits for PSU have won a national championship and none of the other teams have had more than one do so.

Ohio State is a close second to PSU in the number of top 10 PBP recruits during the timeframe.

Ohio State’s recruiting over the past 10 years has been very close to ours - they might even have more #1 classes. But the results are miles apart. One then turns to blaming development and talent evaluation.

Mack Brown during his last decade with Texas had amazing recruiting classes by rank, but it soon became clear he just picked kids by rating and short changed true evaluation. He ended up with tons of kids who had peaked as 19-20 year old high school seniors

Reactions: jack66
Here is another new one in the portal:

I know most of these guys are not starters, but for five guys from your program to all go into the portal in week, begs the question. Is there something wrong?

Chase LiardiOhio StateFreshman133
You're kidding us, right?

Liardi's problem is spelled Bouzakis.

Let us know when starters and top recruits bail. Otherwise, nothing to see.

There was some head scratching a few years ago with North Western(correct me if I'm wrong).. They seem to have rebounded quickly.

I agree with EJ too much is just rumors at the moment especially re: Sasso

As for the health of their program, they have a very good (albeit nutty) coach, a fantastic new facility, and they they just loaded up. Rumor of a very strong NIL pipeline as well.

If the three fresh faces go next year (i think they will RS) they may just jump to #2. They have strong AAs in all three recruits plus Paddy Gallager IMO. Sasso & Karchla are top 3 guys.

That's an incredibly strong nucleus of 6 elite guys. They will once again be nipping at our toes in 2-3 years, even with graduations, you can book it. They won't eclipse us of course but they are coming back strong.

I agree with EJ too much is just rumors at the moment especially re: Sasso

As for the health of their program, they have a very good (albeit nutty) coach, a fantastic new facility, and they they just loaded up. Rumor of a very strong NIL pipeline as well.

If the three fresh faces go next year (i think they will RS) they may just jump to #2. They have strong AAs in all three recruits plus Paddy Gallager IMO. Sasso & Karchla are top 3 guys.

That's an incredibly strong nucleus of 6 elite guys. They will once again be nipping at our toes in 2-3 years, even with graduations, you can book it. They won't eclipse us of course but they are coming back strong.
Hell, I just went from feeling chippy to being nervous in 4 posts...

Quite honestly, I actually enjoyed battles in the late 2010s where Ohio State was the main competitor to us more than the recent ones with Iowa. I found their fans way more respectable candidly, maybe because there's less of them so there's just less chance you'll run into obnoxious ones. Tom Ryan is a bit of a crybaby but hard to deny he instills strong values of respect in his wrestlers as it's been said on this board many times.

Plus there have been at least a couple non-elite (but still good) recruits that were very solid for Tan Tom:

Pletcher
Kollin Moore

There have been a couple busts (Decatour comes to mind), but that happens to every top program.
Kollin Moore yes, he was pretty unheralded but Pletcher was a pretty elite recruit. Pretty sure he was Top 10 PFP in every list. The big reason some might think he was unheralded was because I don't think Cael pressed for him despite how much he allegedly recruited PSU.

I'd be very shocked if Sammy Sasso transfers anywhere. The kid is the face of the program currently. He's the one who made the statement on TV as Ohio State was struggling saying we want elite kids here ready to work.

Not as accomplished but it'd be like if David Carr transferred from Iowa State which everyone kept rumoring but is clearly false. Sometimes you wonder if it crosses their mind they could reach their potential better elsewhere (I mean it's human nature to just wonder about hypotheticals) but the pull of being "the man" is very strong. Also despite what is said sometimes, loyalty DOES still exist with kids.

Reactions: tbingman
Quite honestly, I actually enjoyed battles in the late 2010s where Ohio State was the main competitor to us more than the recent ones with Iowa. I found their fans way more respectable candidly, maybe because there's less of them so there's just less chance you'll run into obnoxious ones. Tom Ryan is a bit of a crybaby but hard to deny he instills strong values of respect in his wrestlers as it's been said on this board many times.
it's 100% this. there are a lot of obnoxious penn state fans too, but that's because there are a lot of penn state fans in general. they might not stick out as much to you because you're also a fan, the same way some of the guys you think are obnoxious don't immediately stick out to me because i'm a fan.

the larger the group, the more idiots. that's just math baby.

I'd be very shocked if Sammy Sasso transfers anywhere. The kid is the face of the program currently. He's the one who made the statement on TV as Ohio State was struggling saying we want elite kids here ready to work.

Not as accomplished but it'd be like if David Carr transferred from Iowa State which everyone kept rumoring but is clearly false. Sometimes you wonder if it crosses their mind they could reach their potential better elsewhere (I mean it's human nature to just wonder about hypotheticals) but the pull of being "the man" is very strong. Also despite what is said sometimes, loyalty DOES still exist with kids.
He wanted “savages”

it's 100% this. there are a lot of obnoxious penn state fans too, but that's because there are a lot of penn state fans in general. they might not stick out as much to you because you're also a fan, the same way some of the guys you think are obnoxious don't immediately stick out to me because i'm a fan.

the larger the group, the more idiots. that's just math baby.
Show me an obnoxious Penn State fan or intranet handle and I will raise you 3 hawks.

You can say there are more iowa fans, and you may be right, but if Penn State hasn't nearly closed the gap on "fans" we are close.

AND

We are no where near the number of obnoxious fans as your beloved hawks. tHR is part of that but its also the twitter, and the reality of in person events

Show me an obnoxious Penn State fan or intranet handle and I will raise you 3 hawks.

You can say there are more iowa fans, and you may be right, but if Penn State hasn't nearly closed the gap on "fans" we are close.

AND

We are no where near the number of obnoxious fans as your beloved hawks. tHR is part of that but its also the twitter, and the reality of in person events
all a matter of perspective. you don't notice them because you agree with the general ideas that underlie their obnoxiousness.

for example, you guys made fun of an idiot on HR saying that cassar/psu does steroids. and you were correct to make fun of him. yet, just a couple months ago, there were multiple idiots on this board, including regular "respected" posters, doing the same thing with cassioppi.

i really don't think it's worthwhile to try to claim superiority as a fan base. just worry about your own behavior and have fun. no fan base is a monolith and every fan base has idiots. you'll end up going in circles if you try to claim superiority because there will always be examples of your fans doing the exact same things.

all a matter of perspective. you don't notice them because you agree with the general ideas that underlie their obnoxiousness.

for example, you guys made fun of an idiot on HR saying that cassar/psu does steroids. and you were correct to make fun of him. yet, just a couple months ago, there were multiple idiots on this board, including regular "respected" posters, doing the same thing with cassioppi.

i really don't think it's worthwhile to try to claim superiority as a fan base. just worry about your own behavior and have fun. no fan base is a monolith and every fan base has idiots. you'll end up going in circles if you try to claim superiority because there will always be examples of your fans doing the exact same things.

I appreciate you leaving me out of this and for not pointing me out as your example …I know you wanted to. It hasn’t gone unnoticed…lol

Great post. Lots of truth said there. There are things posted here that I cringe at too. I don’t think it’s near as much as on HR, but it exists here too.

However, the big difference, as I see it, is that Iowa fans can come on here and argue without it getting ugly and ridiculous.

On HR, that doesn’t happen. I couldn’t even list the number of PA starters each year under Cael in response to a post claiming Cael hasn’t started many PA guys at PSU without folks saying that Penn State fans need to stay off their board. (One told us to climb back into Cael’s backside, in much less eloquent / more colorful language.)

And I can’t help but wonder… If you’re not open to hearing opposing views about sports, how narrow-minded are you in life about real things that actually matter?

Last edited:

You wouldn’t happen to have a link to that Cassioppi thread would ya?

I was wondering the same.
It should be linked because my guess is that while big Cass is used in the joke/comment it's a dig/back handed/clap back at tHR.

So I don't think JS has a correct memory on this other than big Cass was being used in the intranet wars. Unfortunate as it may be....

Some recruits had to leave due to supply chain problems and not enough Robes or Pin Chains to go around!

Reactions: danoftw
IIRC, one poster (I forgot who) implied there is no way Tony Cassioppi could have transformed into what he became in months naturally. It's actually very possible because it was just a committed diet he did. Tony didn't gain muscle ... actually if anything he might have lost some from his diet. He just shed the fat that was previously covering his muscle.

IIRC, one poster (I forgot who) implied there is no way Tony Cassioppi could have transformed into what he became in months naturally. It's actually very possible because it was just a committed diet he did. Tony didn't gain muscle ... actually if anything he might have lost some from his diet. He just shed the fat that was previously covering his muscle.

Exactly right. And you and several other posters called him out. Here’s the thread …

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT