ADVERTISEMENT

Welp.....looks like the PAC-12 players are threatening to boycott

There is enough risk in contact sports as it is... Until it is determined it is safe for contact sports (ie: COVID spread) the athletes have legitimate concerns and deserve to be heard.

Last I checked they were heard in that regard. Any players who don’t feel safe from covid can sit out and not lose their scholarships- even in the cut throat SEC.

That apparently was not good enough for some PAC 12 players. They don’t want to sit out. They want to play...... but at the same time they want to sue if they get corona.

In 99% of the time, it’s the laundry not the player that makes college sports money. Yes, kids like Barkley and Lamar Jackson certainly made money for their schools, but there are 100’s of anonymous players that don’t move the needle for every one of these guys. College sports are mostly popular due to the sentimental connection of alums and local people from the state who have pride in their area. Otherwise the level of play is worse than minor league teams, who don’t really make money. Players should get some cash to have a decent college experience, but not get paid like they are making the college money.

How will the players on teams that do not make money get paid? How will this not turn into a 20 team league? The ones that make the most cash / pay their players the most. Why play for Pitt for $3 a year when Ohio State will be giving them $500,000 each.

I just hope if these clowns do opt out that their scholarships are pulled since clearly these demands are not solely rooted in health and safety.

This request by the players is a much more complex situation than they think it is and really opens Pandora’s box. They would technically become professionals. Do they unionize? Will there eventually be a pay scale? That is does the starting QB get paid more than the 2nd string punter? Non-revenue sports including basketball for some schools will disappear or become a club level sport due to lack of financial support because a lot of the football revenue will be used to pay salaries (in addition to paying for team support costs). Many things to think about.

I would call their bluff and say no to their demands. Those who want to play CFB to get their education paid for can stay. If you want a salary, you can leave school and petition the NFL to try out or enter a supplemental draft. Eliminate any age requirement or minimum number of college seasons needed to go to the NFL. If you want to go to the NFL out of high school you are free to do so. This is a true free market scenario for the players, but would be a good dose of reality for those who think they are good enough to get paid as an athlete. Now I am not opposed to the athletes making money off their likenesses while in college, but just put the money in a trust fund for educational support while in college and whatever is left over they get when they leave school for whatever reason.

Reactions: bytir and BFPSU
How will the players on teams that do not make money get paid? How will this not turn into a 20 team league? The ones that make the most cash / pay their players the most. Why play for Pitt for $3 a year when Ohio State will be giving them $500,000 each.
Ohio State is going to reduce current payouts? I doubt that.

College football has been a huge business since the 80’s. The players deserve a piece of that business model in some form or fashion. The scholarship is not an equitable compensation. A lot on this board compare the virtues of psu vs the sec or osu, but in the end we are no different at psu in terms of operating one of the largest cfb businesses. I do believe there is more $ value in keeping the current cfb setup with the attachment alums have to their school compared to a minor league system.

unbelievable… 3% of High School football players get the chance to have a full ride to a DI football program. A scholie is valued at close to $200k in some cases. A lot of these kids would have never had a chance at a college education which is still a necessity in todays world. I shed no tears for them. Most are pampered year round with the best in food and healthcare. They do not live like "normal" students. I agree there needs to be some higher stipends for them. There is no doubt that the economics of CFB is completely inflated mainly by TV and needs to be adjusted but this will go nowhere and rightfully so. Not surprised it's coming out California...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

“Demands”-it’s going to be interesting watching this play out. It could be the end of college football as we know it.

We had this discussion a couple of weeks ago when the PAC 12 players first threatened this.

1.) It sure makes it a lot easier for the PAC 12 to decide whether to play this year or not. Forget about the revenue for a second. No legal immunity, no season.

2.) Concerning the revenue sharing, Title IX advocates and attorneys have their ducks in place to jump on that issue faster than your head can spin.

These players are drop dead stupid. Especially the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and are not.

They better be careful, or they might get what they wish for. No more scholarships, no more coddling University oversight, and non-university affiliated Minor League football.

College football has been a huge business since the 80’s. The players deserve a piece of that business model in some form or fashion. The scholarship is not an equitable compensation. A lot on this board compare the virtues of psu vs the sec or osu, but in the end we are no different at psu in terms of operating one of the largest cfb businesses. I do believe there is more $ value in keeping the current cfb setup with the attachment alums have to their school compared to a minor league system.
How big of a piece? What should a college student get paid for a part time job over and above the value of free tuition, free room and board, best meal plan on campus, free merchandise out the ass, and a stipend?

Last I checked they were heard in that regard. Any players who don’t feel safe from covid can sit out and not lose their scholarships- even in the cut throat SEC.

That apparently was not good enough for some PAC 12 players. They don’t want to sit out. They want to play...... but at the same time they want to sue if they get corona.
You don't see any element of big business cynicism in this situation on the part of colleges and college administrators? Virtually all of these young men entertain the aspiration of playing on Sundays. They quite obviously want to play. The offer to honor their scholarships is nice but, honestly, if given the opportunity to play, most of them would rather play in the hopes it gives them a shot at the NFL. If colleges want to get the big TV money, gate receipts, donations, and all the other money that comes from playing football, it seems to me that they owe SOME duty to the players (who are the true entertainment here) to minimize the risk of contracting Covid-19, and to treat them and otherwise support them if they DO contract Covid-19. I don't know what specific verbiage these Covid-19 waivers use (and am wondering if it varies from school to school), but asking a player to waive any and all Covid-19 liability in order to play seems beyond heavy handed, IMHO.

We had this discussion a couple of weeks ago when the PAC 12 players first threatened this.

1.) It sure makes it a lot easier for the PAC 12 to decide whether to play this year or not. Forget about the revenue for a second. No legal immunity, no season.

2.) Concerning the revenue sharing, Title IX advocates and attorneys have their ducks in place to jump on that issue faster than your head can spin.

These players are drop dead stupid. Especially the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and are not.

They better be careful, or they might get what they wish for. No more scholarships, no more coddling University oversight, and non-university affiliated Minor League football.

I don't see any schools forcing kids into these athletic scholarships.
I say, if you don't want to play under these conditions, next man up.

Reactions: Sullivan
Uhh...long before then...

Yup, these kids have it much better in college than a theoretical minor league football system. With a minor league the vast majority of kids will get paid a paltry sum, play for a few years and be done at say 24 with no education and not much money in the bank. Even playing in the NFL for 2-3 years at or near the league minimum is very nice, but by no means sets someone up for life.

In college football, many kids who never play in the NFL get set-up with great careers. Look at the number of former players from places like PSU and Notre Dame that end up on Wall Street or in software or medical sales. These young men are obviously capable of doing these jobs, but lots of people want them, and connections they made through football at their university help them land jobs in many cases. There will be no such path for a minor leaguer without a degree.

You don't see any element of big business cynicism in this situation on the part of colleges and college administrators? Virtually all of these young men entertain the aspiration of playing on Sundays. They quite obviously want to play. The offer to honor their scholarships is nice but, honestly, if given the opportunity to play, most of them would rather play in the hopes it gives them a shot at the NFL. If colleges want to get the big TV money, gate receipts, donations, and all the other money that comes from playing football, it seems to me that they owe SOME duty to the players (who are the true entertainment here) to minimize the risk of contracting Covid-19, and to treat them and otherwise support them if they DO contract Covid-19. I don't know what specific verbiage these Covid-19 waivers use (and am wondering if it varies from school to school), but asking a player to waive any and all Covid-19 liability in order to play seems beyond heavy handed, IMHO.

If they want to play that’s fine, sign the waiver. If they are very concerned over covid then sit out and keep your scholarship. It’s their choice and fine either way.

It’s up to them to decide what’s best for them in their situation. Only 2% (IIRC) of NCAA players will actually go to the NFL. There are choices in life, often with consequences you don’t like.

As for the business concept, walk into your boss’ office tomorrow, call him a racist who exploits his employees, and then make the following demands-

1. You demand all management, (from the CEO to middle managers), must take ‘drastic’ salary cuts.
2. He must stop all performance bonuses for management.
3. While at the company, he must cover all your work related medical expenses (not just provide you medical coverage but actually pay all your medical bills).
4. In addition, he must provide you with medical coverage (plan selected by you) for 6 years after you leave the company.
5. He must pay all your housing and food expenses for the time you work for him as well as pay off all your student loans.
6. He must give away 52% of company revenue (not company profits- revenue)- 2% of revenue to community initiatives which you will select. The other 50% of all company revenue to employees.
7. He can not eliminate aspects of the company that are hemorrhaging money. All employees must continue in perpetuity and receive the same benefits you’re demanding despite losing money.

Let me know how that works out for you. ;)

Last edited:
If they want to play that’s fine, sign the waiver. If they are very concerned over covid then sit out and keep your scholarship. It’s their choice and fine either way.

It’s up to them to decide what’s best for them in their situation. Only 2% (IIRC) of NCAA players will actually go to the NFL. There are choices in life, often with consequences you don’t like.

As for the business concept, walk into your boss’ office tomorrow, call him a racist who exploits his employees, and then make the following demands-

1. You demand all management, (from the CEO to middle managers), must take ‘drastic’ salary cuts.
3. While at the company, he must cover all your work related medical expenses (not just provide you medical coverage but actually pay all your medical bills).
4. In addition, he must provide you with medical coverage (plan selected by you) for 6 years after you leave the company.
5. He must pay all your housing and food expenses for the time you work for him as well as pay off all your student loans.
6. He must give away 52% of company revenue (not company profits- revenue)- 2% of revenue to community initiatives which you will select. The other 50% of all company revenue to employees.
7. He can not eliminate aspects of the company that are hemorrhaging money. All employees must continue in perpetuity and receive the same benefits you’re demanding despite losing money.

I did not get into ANY of the demands to which you assigned numbers, above. My post specifically concerned the Covid-19 waivers that players are apparently being asked to sign. I question whether they would be enforceable even if signed, but my earlier comment was that demanding players sign such waivers does not reflect well on big time college football. ("You players take the health risk and we'll take the money.") Moreover, I said nothing about racism. You appear to be angry about this subject. Is that the case?!

I did not get into ANY of the demands to which you assigned numbers, above. My post specifically concerned the Covid-19 waivers that players are apparently being asked to sign. I question whether they would be enforceable even if signed, but my earlier comment was that demanding players sign such waivers does not reflect well on big time college football. ("You players take the health risk and we'll take the money.") Moreover, I said nothing about racism. You appear to be angry about this subject. Is that the case?!

No, I’m not angry at all. Sorry if it came across that way- that was not intended. :D I was just showing some of what they are demanding all under the guise of ‘business’ (it’s right from their website linked by the OP).

As for the covid waiver, you make a good point. I don’t know if it would hold up legally. (Maybe some of the lawyers here could speak to that). I’d be with you if the NCAA forced them to sign it or lose their scholarship. Since the option was provided to not play but yet still keep their scholarship, I think that’s a reasonable compromise (and I’m no fan of Emmert or the NCAA).

Most "threats" are only viable if the threatening party has a legitimate alternative... "If you do not give us X... then we'll go to Y...". In the case of college football players, the question to a threat would be "Where else are they going to go??".

> No other conference will give them their demands, so they can not go to another conference/school and receive the things on their list of demands.

> The NFL will not take them until they are out of HS for 3 years, so they can not just leave the Pac12/college football and turn pro unless they are out of HS 3 years

> There is no "minor league" of football that they can go to in place of playing college football. For example, a HS basketball players can by-pass college BB and go to the G-league or go play overseas for a season. A HS baseball player or hockey player can by-pass college baseball or hockey and accept a pro contract and start their careers in the minor leagues..... But there is no such viable alternative for HS football players. Could they go play in Canada in the CFL?????

So basically, IMO unless the PAC12 and that part of the country is just so totally lost in this appeasement mind-set, the conference can play hardball, call the players' bluff, because the players have no where else to go.

Good description of a comparison of how that would be unattainable in the work world. These players should not be making any demands except requesting a review of the COVID policy. Nothing else.

ADVERTISEMENT