ADVERTISEMENT

Welp.....looks like the PAC-12 players are threatening to boycott

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

“Demands”-it’s going to be interesting watching this play out. It could be the end of college football as we know it.

Leave any players who wishes to boycott do so. Of course, they are not entitled to certain rights while boycotting, such as: tuition, room & board, student fees, access to athletic facilities (weight rooms, etc,). Quick lesson in life -- there are consequences.

Will some teams be hurt -- of course, but the damage is being caused by the team members not anyone else.

Maybe these guys should actually go to class and learn supply and demand.

Here's an example of what they're looking for. Taking Stanford's measly $44MM revenue for football, each scholarship player is demanding to be paid 259k dollars plus their scholarship.

I would be willing to bet there's 85 players that would be willing to play for "only" a Stanford football scholly.

If it goes the way they want it there will be 2 College Sports - Basketball and Football - I guess 2 women’s sports to be Title IX compliant because schools won’t be able to subsidize any other sports and there will way less College football teams as well - many schools lose money already on football. In the end many less scholarships for all kids but they are free to do what they choose and schools are free to adjust as they see fit.

So let them boycott , who really cares, they are in a world of their own, they have all the answers and none of the questions.
And they play shitty football....shouldn’t you have to be good to have any type of pull? What’s next, is the ACC going to make demands...bwahaha!

Reactions: m48tank
In my mind it was and I know I grew up with a Pollyannish view of college sports. But yeah, I grew up with JoePa as my role model and bought into his idea of we are all working to build something bigger than ourselves, support for Penn State, support for higher education. I bought into SuePa tutoring players to keep them eligible. I bought the whole thing and I know it was a rose colored view and it wasn't like that everywhere.

But now it's different. Maybe it's just me and I'm a little older and wiser. Seems like everyone is lining up at the trough to get their piece of the pie, Board of Trustees, administration now players.

Maybe it is me and I've wised up but I think things really have changed and not for the better. Call me an old crank.

Last edited:
In my mind it was and I know I grew up with a Pollyannish view college sports. But yeah, I grew up with JoePa as my role model and bought into his idea of we are all working to build something bigger than ourselves, support for Penn State, support for higher education. I bought into SuePa tutoring players to keep them eligible. I bought the whole thing and I know it was a rose colored view and it wasn't like that everywhere.

But now it's just different. Maybe it's just me and I'm a little older and wiser. Seems like everyone is just lining up at the trough to get their piece of the pie, Board of Trustees, administration now players.

Maybe it is just me and I've wised up but I think things really have changed and not for the better. Call me an old crank.
I think we lost "college" football quite some time ago. I remember Beaver Stadium seating something like 55,000 and those seats were filled with students and grads. We now live in an age of corporate sponsors and many of the fans have no connection at all with Penn State other than football. It's a big pageant, sure- but is it "college" football or is it just another business?

In my mind it was and I know I grew up with a Pollyannish view of college sports. But yeah, I grew up with JoePa as my role model and bought into his idea of we are all working to build something bigger than ourselves, support for Penn State, support for higher education. I bought into SuePa tutoring players to keep them eligible. I bought the whole thing and I know it was a rose colored view and it wasn't like that everywhere.

But now it's just different. Maybe it's just me and I'm a little older and wiser. Seems like everyone is just lining up at the trough to get their piece of the pie, Board of Trustees, administration now players.

Maybe it is just me and I've wised up but I think things really have changed and not for the better. Call me an old crank.

But they are trying to build something better.... it's the athletes from the sport that people care about coming out to say "hey dole out some of the $$$$$$ our sport generates to the other sports that don't generate piles of money because guess what, those students are in need too" and also things like "maybe its time to cut down on the racist BS" oh and also "hey maybe making us play during a pandemic and then also making it so we have no recourse if we get Covid".

So it seems they very much are trying to build something better for all. There is way more to life then being able to win the big game, and these players seem to get that.

The question is how many players have signed on to this?

It could be 2 third string tackles on Arizona St or it could be hundreds across multiple teams. It makes a big difference.

Here's an example of what they're looking for. Taking Stanford's measly $44MM revenue for football, each scholarship player is demanding to be paid 259k dollars plus their scholarship.

I would be willing to bet there's 85 players that would be willing to play for "only" a Stanford football scholly.

Exactly. Time to return college sports to their true amateur status. Sports is supposed to be a part of the educational experience - it teaches life lessons that can be hard to come by elsewhere - teamwork, perseverance, how to set a goal and attain it, how to win with grace and lose with dignity. Let college students play college sports. Let the NFL create its own minor league for kids that aren’t interested in a college education. I’m not kidding, either.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

“Demands”-it’s going to be interesting watching this play out. It could be the end of college football as we know it.

Let me know when the Commish, coaches and administrators reduce their salaries. Here’s where the rubber meets the road. Terrific opportunity for them to DO something instead of just paying lip service to their claims they care about the players and are listening to them.

Will anyone notice if they boycott?

-checks notes of the minute details of the goings on of players for PSU that are tracked in threads in this forum on an on going basis-

Yes, yes people will notice. And then come on Rivals to speak crap about them and complain about how ungrateful they are or other BS about how they should just shut up and play because that is a good life lesson, that you should just shut up and toe the line when things are crappy or you see social wrongs.

200.gif

People that enjoy watching college football at 2AM? Glov? lol....

LOL, I used to watch college football Thursday, Friday, and then Saturday from 9AM until 2AM, but I’ve lost interest in most of it. I’ll watch our games and maybe have it on in the background the rest of the day if the weather isn’t conducive to something outside.

If the colleges and the NCAA thinks it’s in their best financial interest they will pay if not just like everywhere else in life you won’t get what you think you deserve - welcome to the real world which is always fair and just.

This is gonna be pretty cool. Curious as to how many players are behind this. Read that the group represents hundreds of players at nine of the twelve PAC 12 schools.

Manifesto itself is kinda funny. Compelling evidence that those who wrote it haven't received much of an edumication.

My guess is that in the end this amounts to nothing.

There is enough risk in contact sports as it is... Until it is determined it is safe for contact sports (ie: COVID spread) the athletes have legitimate concerns and deserve to be heard.

IMHO the only reason kids are returning to school is that administrators/staff were kicking the can down the road the past three month / dodging furlough with all of this “planning”.... now the rubber is gonna meet the road in the next few weeks and I’ve got a queasy feeling this is going to be a dumpster fire... a feeling shared off-the-record by some administrators

Reactions: Art

You would win your bet.

I am interested in how this plays out in the end. Will these SJW college administrators in the vein of Don't Shoot Barron, and the Go Ahead and Kneel coaches, put their money where their mouths are? Highly unlikely. Those are sacrifices for others to make. They just have to signal their virtue to the world and their job is done.

Good for them. There is an army of individuals making millions off of them. Perhaps it is time for private business to step in on this sports business and return the schools to their main goal: education. If there is a better system out there, I hope we find it.

But they are trying to build something better.... it's the athletes from the sport that people care about coming out to say "hey dole out some of the $$$$$$ our sport generates to the other sports that don't generate piles of money because guess what, those students are in need too" and also things like "maybe its time to cut down on the racist BS" oh and also "hey maybe making us play during a pandemic and then also making it so we have no recourse if we get Covid".

So it seems they very much are trying to build something better for all. There is way more to life then being able to win the big game, and these players seem to get that.
Yeah, right...that’s what they “get”.

Exactly. Time to return college sports to their true amateur status. Sports is supposed to be a part of the educational experience - it teaches life lessons that can be hard to come by elsewhere - teamwork, perseverance, how to set a goal and attain it, how to win with grace and lose with dignity. Let college students play college sports. Let the NFL create its own minor league for kids that aren’t interested in a college education. I’m not kidding, either.
Like 2% of the players are playing for the NFL...the rest are playing college football for the education or the experience. Let’s not change everything for the extremely small percentage.

Reactions: dailybuck777
Good for them. There is an army of individuals making millions off of them. Perhaps it is time for private business to step in on this sports business and return the schools to their main goal: education. If there is a better system out there, I hope we find it.

If that happens, the players will learn very quickly that a few of them will make a lot of money In a development league and many of them will be left with nothing and an extremely expensive path to an education if they desire such pursuit.

So how ya gonna prove they get Covid by playing football and not at the local strip joint?

Reactions: psu7113
ADVERTISEMENT