ADVERTISEMENT

WELL, WELL, WELL............Look what I find

DH0. Name-calling
To Graham, this is the lowest level of argument. This is when you call people names. That can be done crudely by saying repulsive things like “u r a fag!!!!!!!!!!” or even more pretentiously (but still to the same effect) like, “The author is a self-important dilettante,” wrote the computer scientist.

DH1. Ad hominem
An argument of this kind attacks the person rather than the point they are making—the literal Latin translation of this phrase is: ‘to the person.’ It involves somehow devaluing a person’s opinion by devaluing the one who is expressing it, without directly addressing what they are saying. “The question is whether the author is correct or not,” pointed out Graham.

You call people names all the time, Mike. How many times have you used "Professor Potatohead?" Like the guy says, it's the lowest level of argument, and you do it in practically every thread.

I've lost count of how many times you've tried to refute my arguments with, "Well, what do you know, you're Catholic?" This is, again, one of your go-to moves, an attempt to devalue a person's opinion by devaluing the one who is expressing it. You do this all the time, again, in practically every thread.

When you say things like, "Give me five Navy Seals and Assad will be dead in a day," what are we supposed to think? Are you serious? Not serious? You talk about aliens all the time. What are we supposed to think? Why should we take you seriously?

DH0. Name-calling
To Graham, this is the lowest level of argument. This is when you call people names. That can be done crudely by saying repulsive things like “u r a fag!!!!!!!!!!” or even more pretentiously (but still to the same effect) like, “The author is a self-important dilettante,” wrote the computer scientist.

DH1. Ad hominem
An argument of this kind attacks the person rather than the point they are making—the literal Latin translation of this phrase is: ‘to the person.’ It involves somehow devaluing a person’s opinion by devaluing the one who is expressing it, without directly addressing what they are saying. “The question is whether the author is correct or not,” pointed out Graham.

You call people names all the time, Mike. How many times have you used "Professor Potatohead?" Like the guy says, it's the lowest level of argument, and you do it in practically every thread.

I've lost count of how many times you've tried to refute my arguments with, "Well, what do you know, you're Catholic?" This is, again, one of your go-to moves, an attempt to devalue a person's opinion by devaluing the one who is expressing it. You do this all the time, again, in practically every thread.

When you say things like, "Give me five Navy Seals and Assad will be dead in a day," what are we supposed to think? Are you serious? Not serious? You talk about aliens all the time. What are we supposed to think? Why should we take you seriously?

Oh, look at the math guy trying to use words. As if.;)

Reactions: LionJim
DH0. Name-calling

DH1. Ad hominem
Well, those two account for about 95% of the debates on this board. What would we do without them?

Reactions: Nit16
It has been there all the time, Fella. You've just been sitting on it.

DH0. Name-calling

DH1. Ad hominem

THAT'S IT! YOU'RE BACK ON IGNORE UNTIL FOOTBALL SEASON STARTS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT