ADVERTISEMENT

Well, now we can get back to football.

I thought that today but really enjoyed the wrestling and men’s basketball teams. I grew up a baseball basketball and football fan. Didn’t like wrestling. I now love it and somewhat understand it the sacrifice and effort is unmatched

I thought that today but really enjoyed the wrestling and men’s basketball teams. I grew up a baseball basketball and football fan. Didn’t like wrestling. I now love it and somewhat understand it the sacrifice and effort is unmatched
Wrestling was big at my old high school. Went to a lot of matches and really enjoyed them. Of course, knowing the guys and being friends with some made it that much more entertaining. And they do sacrifice, especially those who had to suck weight all the time.

Wrestling is a cute little sport. However, the real question is when will James Franklin actually win a big game?

Wrestling was big at my old high school. Went to a lot of matches and really enjoyed them. Of course, knowing the guys and being friends with some made it that much more entertaining. And they do sacrifice, especially those who had to suck weight all the time.
That's eventually why I stopped wrestling. I was gaining weight for football then losing/holding for wrestling. Then I'd start gaining again come baseball season. I got tired of it and told the wrestling coaches I wasn't doing that anymore. I knew I could beat the guy at the next weight class up so I said if I gained weight in season, I would either wrestle there or they could do without me. I actually stepped away from it completely senior year (didn't go out that year at all) because I just wasn't as in love with the sport anymore and was tired of watching the weight. It was a grind especially for kids that are still growing.

That's eventually why I stopped wrestling. I was gaining weight for football then losing/holding for wrestling. Then I'd start gaining again come baseball season. I got tired of it and told the wrestling coaches I wasn't doing that anymore. I knew I could beat the guy at the next weight class up so I said if I gained weight in season, I would either wrestle there or they could do without me. I actually stepped away from it completely senior year (didn't go out that year at all) because I just wasn't as in love with the sport anymore and was tired of watching the weight. It was a grind especially for kids that are still growing.
That would suck. That is so hard to do.

that is the main reason I never wanted to do it. The stuff I used to hear about how some wrestlers would maintain their weight did not sound healthy at all.

Reactions: Online Persona
hahaha that Ted guy isn't even a good troll
He’s somebody who definitely would take a knife to a gun fight. Is he too unaware or just plain stupid when he questions PSU winning big games when they probably have won two to three times as many big games as Michigan since Paterno became coach. I mean, Michigan has to have one of the worst bowl and playoff records of any so-called blue blood school.

that is the main reason I never wanted to do it. The stuff I used to hear about how some wrestlers would maintain their weight did not sound healthy at all.
They used to roll kids in the wrestling mat wearing plastic garbage bag suits with enough space for them to pump their knees like they were running. Didn't take long in that furnace for a constant stream of sweat to run out of the mat at the opening. Yep, kids that cut weight were not always doing it healthy. Some of those guys were 5 lbs heavier by match time after the weigh ins.

They used to roll kids in the wrestling mat wearing plastic garbage bag suits with enough space for them to pump their knees like they were running. Didn't take long in that furnace for a constant stream of sweat to run out of the mat at the opening. Yep, kids that cut weight were not always doing it healthy. Some of those guys were 5 lbs heavier by match time after the weigh ins.
that's exactly what I am talking about. Remember hearing about that and just thing wtf, not doing that.

that's exactly what I am talking about. Remember hearing about that and just thing wtf, not doing that.
There are some other unpleasant things about the sport as well. Weight was only one issue. I will say, the guys on that team were the toughest SOBs in the school and there is a very, very high success rate for our squad in life. That success rate is even higher than all of the kids who were in my AP classes although we did have a slight overlap of these 2 subsets.

I've mentioned it before but of the 14 weight classes of starters at my high school, I'm aware of 4 self-made millionaires before age 50 for certain. We also had a kid that became a Navy Seal and now owns a business, not sure if he's a 5th of the self-made millionaires before age 50 or not.

Bottom line, you weren't going to get these guys to give up and they were going to work every angle to figure out how to win even when they had nothing in the tank. I suspect that carries over for many in life.

Kudos to Penn State wrestling for its umpteenth national championship and to basketball for becoming relevant this winter!
Not so fast. Penn St in the ncaa hockey tournament starting this Friday night in Allentown!

Reactions: MacNit07
He’s somebody who definitely would take a knife to a gun fight. Is he too unaware or just plain stupid when he questions PSU winning big games when they probably have won two to three times as many big games as Michigan since Paterno became coach. I mean, Michigan has to have one of the worst bowl and playoff records of any so-called blue blood school.
Is there a website where he can sign up for RutgersAl lessons?

• Haha
Reactions: psu00
There are some other unpleasant things about the sport as well. Weight was only one issue. I will say, the guys on that team were the toughest SOBs in the school and there is a very, very high success rate for our squad in life. That success rate is even higher than all of the kids who were in my AP classes although we did have a slight overlap of these 2 subsets.

I've mentioned it before but of the 14 weight classes of starters at my high school, I'm aware of 4 self-made millionaires before age 50 for certain. We also had a kid that became a Navy Seal and now owns a business, not sure if he's a 5th of the self-made millionaires before age 50 or not.

Bottom line, you weren't going to get these guys to give up and they were going to work every angle to figure out how to win even when they had nothing in the tank. I suspect that carries over for many in life.
Most of the wrestlers I grew up with ended up working in construction, factories, or roofing. None of them are even close to millionaires, so likely there’s more involved than wrestling.

Most of the wrestlers I grew up with ended up working in construction, factories, or roofing. None of them are even close to millionaires, so likely there’s more involved than wrestling.
One of our under 50 millionaires did just that. Worked in construction, pounding nails, then went back to college and now manages large construction sites. One was a vo tech student who grew a custom cabinets and countertops business and sold it off. One works for Google and was in the AP classes with me. Then there's the navy seal, not an AP class student.

One of our under 50 millionaires did just that. Worked in construction, pounding nails, then went back to college and now manages large construction sites. One was a vo tech student who grew a custom cabinets and countertops business and sold it off. One works for Google and was in the AP classes with me. Then there's the navy seal, not an AP class student.
So they had skills, brains, or a combination of the two. The wrestlers I knew weren’t exactly brimming with either.

So they had skills, brains, or a combination of the two. The wrestlers I knew weren’t exactly brimming with either.
They mostly had not going to outwork them and even when drained are going to give it all they had. That is the common thread. Some had skills, some had brains, but all had no quit in them.

They mostly had not going to outwork them and even when drained are going to give it all they had. That is the common thread. Some had skills, some had brains, but all had no quit in them.
that's not because they did wrestling. there are people who are just like that

that's not because they did wrestling. there are people who are just like that
So you knew them? I find it interesting that multiple people think they understand this small group of people they never met.

They were likely drawn to wrestling because they had some of that in them and they certainly stuck with wrestling because of it. I was in a number of different sports growing up through college (captain of hs football, 3 year varsity starter in baseball, varsity athlete in college). I haven't experienced anywhere near the collective grit and toughness of our wrestling team in any other sport at any level.

Watching this back and forth…..there is a correlation for the college wrestler and success in employment.

Ohio State right up there with Michigan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT