ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Robert Howard!

PSUNAV

May 13, 2014
flo just made the announcement! Commits to the Wrestling team! Sorry, Robbie Howard.

Reactions: aworsnup
Boom! That's how NCAA champions recruit. The wrestling team will very likely win its 8th national championship in the 10 years that Cael has been there.

Outstanding recruiting, with only 9.9 scholarships to spread around, and outstanding coaching. No. 1 year after year.

Currently, Robert is ranked number one in the country at 126 lbs. While the addition of the top recruit in a particular class is something that every team would want, he is needed at Penn State. 125 looks like it could be a struggle for the Nittany Lions this year and the future at the weight class is uncertain after top 2018 recruit Gavin Teasdale has already left school. At some point in his college career, Howard could grow into a 133 lber, as well. In November, Howard took trips to Michigan and Iowa, in addition to Penn State.

Reactions: Bob78
Currently, Robert is ranked number one in the country at 126 lbs. While the addition of the top recruit in a particular class is something that every team would want, he is needed at Penn State. 125 looks like it could be a struggle for the Nittany Lions this year and the future at the weight class is uncertain after top 2018 recruit Gavin Teasdale has already left school.

The bookend weights (125, and 285) are the toughest to recruit for in college wrestling. That said, it's unlikely that Howard will be at 125 while at PSU. From the FloWrestling article about his verbal (CLICK HERE), there is this:

"Howard's commitment means PSU has their long term answer at 133 pounds. A path was cleared for that to happen when Adam Busiello decommitted to head to Arizona State, which is remarkable given that Busiello beat Howard in the 2016 Super 32 finals.

In Howard's mind, the path he sees is for him to redshirt and then take over during the 2021-22 season. That would be Roman Bravo-Young's senior year and allow RBY to bump up to 141 after Nick Lee graduates. We have him rated as the #1 prospect at 133 pounds in all four classes."

While there are no quotes in this portion of the article, it does seem to be a representation of what Howard is thinking. Plus, the projections of Howard's college weight (always somewhat inexact) have had him wrestling 133.

Reactions: Bob78
Currently, Robert is ranked number one in the country at 126 lbs. While the addition of the top recruit in a particular class is something that every team would want, he is needed at Penn State. 125 looks like it could be a struggle for the Nittany Lions this year and the future at the weight class is uncertain after top 2018 recruit Gavin Teasdale has already left school. At some point in his college career, Howard could grow into a 133 lber, as well. In November, Howard took trips to Michigan and Iowa, in addition to Penn State.

He's being projected at 133 when he arrives in a couple of years, and Roman Bravo-Young will move up to 141 when Nick Lee graduates.

Dominance!

Although projecting in at only 133 pounds, this will weigh heavily on the minds of Hawkeye fans for many years to come.

O U T S T A N D I N G !

Brody Teske has the look of a career 125lber which would be huge. He is currently RSing so far this year, but that may change (probably not). He is a tough kid, maybe not elite but definite All American potential

Last edited:
Interesting comment from the FloWrestling article:

At this point, Penn State feels a little like the Yankees: a dynasty with a massive fan base, but also a team some people vehemently root against due to their dominance. Part of that appeals to Howard, who has made no bones about the fact he prefers to wear the black hat.

"I'm gonna turn into a villain real quick. And I'm gonna be on the team that everyone hates."

Reactions: psuken
Great get. I saw Howard at the Penn state match on Sunday. You'd never guess he was a wrestler in street clothes but this kid is a beast. Really excited for him

Interesting comment from the FloWrestling article:

At this point, Penn State feels a little like the Yankees: a dynasty with a massive fan base, but also a team some people vehemently root against due to their dominance. Part of that appeals to Howard, who has made no bones about the fact he prefers to wear the black hat.

"I'm gonna turn into a villain real quick. And I'm gonna be on the team that everyone hates."

I hate us.

Reactions: royboy
Tom
I didn't want to scare the young lad away from attending PSU by asking a 17 year old boy if an old man like me could get a picture of him. :cool:

but, but, but, a picture was not required. Just the info that he was there.

then again, CS really does prefer to keep the staff's recruiting activities quiet, so I could make a case for excusing you. whether the rest of board is as generous, well, I can't speak for them. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT