ADVERTISEMENT

Weight Certs are up on track

NothingMeaningful

Dec 21, 2018
I usually thought that guys cert up a weight class (apparently Lehigh guys cert up two classes).

SVN, Bartlett at 157
Joe Lee, Facundo at 174
Brooks at 197
Dean, Beard at 285

Howard, Kerk, RBY, Starocci, Nick Lee, others not currently cert'd.

What exactly does this certification mean at this early date?

I usually thought that guys cert up a weight class (apparently Lehigh guys cert up two classes).

SVN, Bartlett at 157
Joe Lee, Facundo at 174
Brooks at 197
Dean, Beard at 285

Howard, Kerk, RBY, Starocci, Nick Lee, others not currently cert'd.

What exactly does this certification mean at this early date?
Since when? Mark Hall certed at 197 more than once.

• Haha
Reactions: Str8DBLz
All it means if it lists a guy at 157 he weighed at least 149.1 when his cert was entered.

Reactions: mjmirv
Won't be one besides who's at 125. Will they burn Steen RS if Suriano is coming will be the biggest question
Would be shocked if we burn Steen's RS for Fall Duals. Granted, we wrestled Seth while working to get Kerkvliet eligible in 2020. I'm sure those things are always consulted with the wrestler and parents.

If Beard beats out Dean at 197, would that be considered a surprise?
I actually would not be surprised at all if Michael outright beats Max Dean in a wrestleoff. He was a slip away from beating Myles Amine last year on a bad knee. That being said, it's not about one match, who's going to be better in a 3 year tournament? IMO from what we've seen from both, easily Max.

Reactions: Ja1339
Won't be one besides who's at 125. Will they burn Steen RS if Suriano is coming will be the biggest question
Roar said there will be at least one surprise in the line-up so I am inclined to believe at least one kid most of us are not expecting, will be starting. I am wondering if Matt Lee is staking a claim to 157.

I actually would not be surprised at all if Michael outright beats Max Dean in a wrestleoff. He was a slip away from beating Myles Amine last year on a bad knee. That being said, it's not about one match, who's going to be better in a 3 year tournament? IMO from what we've seen from both, easily Max.
Beard and Max had similar freshmen type seasons. Beard winning the spot would indicate to me, Beard is ready to duplicate Max's sophomore finish. I would be OK with that.

Reactions: danoftw
Wow, three year tournaments exist? That would be brutal!! ;)

Roar said there will be at least one surprise in the line-up so I am inclined to believe at least one kid most of us are not expecting, will be starting. I am wondering if Matt Lee is staking a claim to 157.
What date was he referring to? November 13? January 7? March 5? Seemed like it was a pretty vague statement to me, and maybe we're reading too much into it. Aren't there always "surprises"?

Their actual weight certs start when they step on the mat for the 1st official match. This is the weight they are at NOW

From the horses mouth, M Lee 165 (unless something has changed in the last month)

Reactions: nitlion6
For the record, I fully expect Facundo/SVN/Bartlett to all be in redshirt until January. Send them to opens, get their 20 matches and get them accustomed to college wrestling.

Your 2021-22 PSU Wrestling Squad locked 'n' loaded for a NCAA championship run?

125 Nick Suriano (yep, in January)
133 Roman Bravo Young (better than ever after training with Gilman)
141 Nick Lee (Bartlett to RS)
149 Shawn Van Ness (exciting young wrestler)
157 Joe Lee (love this weight for JL)
165 Alex Facundo (exciting young wrestler)
174 Carter Starocci (scary this year)
184 Aaron Brooks (better than ever after training with Taylor)
197 Max Dean (as strong as an ox)
285 Greg Kerklivet (never saw the real Kerk LY)

Your 2021-22 PSU Wrestling Squad locked 'n' loaded for a NCAA championship run?

125 Nick Suriano (yep, in January)
133 Roman Bravo Young (better than ever after training with Gilman)
141 Nick Lee (Bartlett to RS)
149 Shawn Van Ness (exciting young wrestler)
157 Joe Lee (love this weight for JL)
165 Alex Facundo (exciting young wrestler)
174 Carter Starocci (scary this year)
184 Aaron Brooks (better than ever after training with Taylor)
197 Max Dean (as strong as an ox)
285 Greg Kerklivet (never saw the real Kerk LY)
Plugged in poster on the other site said not so fast with 197. Michael is healthy, he's motivated and beating Max handily and he believes the 197 spot belongs to him.

Only if he shows much, much better endurance than he has shown in the past.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
@smalls103 mentioned he thinks Yazdani Charati's biggest adjustment between the Olympics and Worlds is he was on a treadmill. I'm hoping Michael did a lot of that during the summer.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Is Manville even on campus? Seems like we haven’t seen him in awhile. Check the PSU student register. Roster is still not posted.

ADVERTISEMENT