ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend Music. Which album influenced you the most?

I have two but I'll list one. U2 War. No, not a Journey album, but it's close.

I list this one because it was the first album I ever bought with my own money at 11 years old:

Shinin%27_On_%28Grand_Funk_Railroad_album_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Bought it for The Locomotion and discovered a whole lot more! Unfortunately, I have no clue where that album cover and its pop out 3D glasses are now.

Led Zep IV
Rush Exit State Left
------------------------------
Runner ups:
Boston - First Album
OK Computer - Radiohead
Queen is Dead - Smiths
Avalon - Roxy Music
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Southeastern - Jason Isbell
2112 - RUSH
Murmur - REM
Eat a Peach Live - Alman Brothers

I can't really pick just one but for this thread I'll list one that I was a kid when I first got familiar with it, maybe 10-15, and only then because my older brothers had it since I never would have bought it at that age. It made me realize how music that at first sounds so crazy and complicated and different from what is usually played on the radio could be so good. It is the Yes album "Close to the Edge."

The two songs on side 2 were played now and then on AOR radio, although they were considered somewhat out there. The one song on side 1 wasn't played on the radio, presumably because it was too long and crazy. It was all good but the one song on side 1 was my favorite part.

Last edited:
Core by the Stone Temple Pilots was the first to get me to start listening to modern (at the time) music. Before that I liked a lot of classic music (Boston, Rush, Styx). That album led to a pretty big change in my musical selections.

I wanted to put Exile or Let it Bleed, but after thinking I went with "This is the Moody Blues" because it expanded my taste from bluesy rock into more progressive stuff stuff and more. With a moody blues album you can lay back with the headphones, close your eyes and take a trip to somewhere else, and you really don't need the help of any illicit substances.

Reactions: Yanks49
I’m not sure any album really “influenced” me. Influence means, the capacity to have an effect on the character, development, or behavior of someone or something, or the effect itself. I guess maybe a certain album could temporarily change my behavior. GnR AFD was an album that, only while listening to it, put me in a mood that I would describe as “very ready to go”, without quite reaching the point of being overly aggressive.
Queensrÿche OMC was an album that I listened to front to back countless times. That was an eye opener for me.
Ok, maybe one album did influence me. Pearl Jam Ten, according to the definition of influence, might be the biggest. It changed how I dressed and looked, and all the other music I listened to going forward.

Temptations in a Mellow Mood
Richard Harris's A Tramp Shining

Last edited:
Hard to pick one. But I have a top 4 from late Jr. High to early high school - Zeppelin IV, Deep Purple Machine Head, Lucifer’s Friend self titled album and Black Sabbath Paranoid.

Reactions: Bob78
Hard to pick just one. Certain albums were influential at different times of my life and for different reasons.

First rock album I ever owned (for Sweet Home Alabama) at age 12:
3XMso4GJhGd2z9DK2Siajg-1200-80.jpg

Wore out the 8 track of this one. The girls liked it when we’d be in my car:
EotF2LMByh4G6Abw2snvBZ-1024-80.jpg

Probably the most listened to overall:

71s%2Bxlkhz8L._SX522_.jpg

If stuck on a desert island with only one album:

the-dark-side-of-the-moon.jpg

Allman Brothers Filmore East/Eat a Peach
Grateful Dead, Skull and Roses
Doors, LA Woman
JanisJoplin, Pearl
Beatles.....everything!
Herbie Mann, Push Push

I literally wore out 4 albums. Journey Escape, Boston, ELO, and U2 War

Reactions: Ski
Ha! Beat me by a few mins. This album blew my mind as a lad, I was mesmerized.
Before Led Zeppelin II i'd listen to main stream music Beatles, Grass Roots, Doors, CCR, 4 Tops etc. But Led Zeppelin II made me find my niche, it rocked, was bluesy, a great mix. I was embarrassed to realize there was a Led Zeppelin I. My other influential album was Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream.
R-543337-1417130643-6694.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
I listed three best all-round albums above, thinking as someone said that no album really "influenced" me.
But thinking about it some more, I started to laugh .. remembering an album that introduced me to something, well .. you know.
Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep.

U2T71591_655b63c3-67fd-454e-9862-dd8fe97c1f1d_2000x.jpg

I consider the Joshua Tree to be my first “grown up” album. I bought it at least three times on cassette because I kept wearing it out. Remarkably it still holds up well. The next albums I would add that influenced me - moved me might be a better way to put it - would be U2’s Achtung Baby, Pearl Jam’s Ten, and TOOL’s Lateralus...and various preludes and overtures by Wagner. (Musically I’m all over the place. :p)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Eddie Money “The Sound of Money”...he was already my favorite, but to have all those songs on one album...awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT